Road Roller Hits Landmine During Roadworks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Road Roller Hits Landmine During Roadworks

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Banteay Meanchey Province): On July 14, 2023, in Banteay village, Obei Choan commune, Ochrov district, Banteay Meanchey province, a road roller ran over a landmine during roadworks.
The massive explosion injured the driver and destroying the roller. The driver, Sok Hing, a 68-year-old man from Okhaidorn village, Sangkat Nimet, Poipet city, was taken to the Khmer-Japanese Hospital.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Road Roller Hits Landmine During Roadworks

Post by Darkcel »

It'll be back on the road in a week
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Darkcel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:02 pm It'll be back on the road in a week
Quote,
The driver, Sok Hing, a 68-year-old man from Okhaidorn village, Sangkat Nimet, Poipet city, was taken to the Khmer-Japanese Hospital.

Atleast the 68 yo driver will finally have a reason to retire.
darkhat
Tourist

Post by darkhat »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:04 pm
Darkcel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:02 pm It'll be back on the road in a week
Quote,
The driver, Sok Hing, a 68-year-old man from Okhaidorn village, Sangkat Nimet, Poipet city, was taken to the Khmer-Japanese Hospital.

Atleast the 68 yo driver will finally have a reason to retire.
He'll also be back on the road in a week, doubt his employer has given him neither medical or retirement benefits
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

If I had to choose a vehicle to drive over a landmine with the one in this story would be a top contender.

The actual roller will be made of 10mm-15mm steel.
Those side supports are 20-25mm thick.
The only weak point was the windscreen on the cab tbh.

That dent, on the roller, could be repaired in a few hours. Worst case would be to cut it out and weld in a new piece... shaping it wouldn't be hard as its a single axis curve... not like its on a section on the surface of a sphere.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

A bit worrying if you live in the houses nearby, I wonder what they previously believed the landmine situation to be
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:55 pm A bit worrying if you live in the houses nearby, I wonder what they previously believed the landmine situation to be
There’s a casual nature to everyone milling around in the photos which I’m fairly sure I might not have. Assuming that everyone in the photos appreciates the root cause.

As for the roller itself- if you drive a new section of road in the future, with a suspiciously consistent bumpy line…
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Must have made quite the "boing"
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It looks as if the mine detonated after the roller had passed over it, which might mean that more of the blast will have been directed at the cab. The natural assumption is that he was in maybe the better vehicle if it were to happen, whereas he may well have been exceedingly lucky.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:11 pm It looks as if the mine detonated after the roller had passed over it, which might mean that more of the blast will have been directed at the cab. The natural assumption is that he was in maybe the better vehicle if it were to happen, whereas he may well have been exceedingly lucky.
Anybody who survives accidentally detonating a mine without death or dismemberment is pretty lucky imo

Driver is likely concussed and suffering hearing damage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic