Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 3

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Kep or Kampot? The Trip Report. Day 3

Post by hanno »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:34 am Quote.

On the subject of baked beans: why are they being treated as if they were gold all over Southeast Asia? Every bloody restaurant will just give you that tiny little dish of them and I figure they are counted out one by one. How much does a can of baked beans really cost?

Twice the price of a can of baked beans in Australia
Agreed, but still: a 2.62kg can here in PP is 11.40. That is 43 Cents for 100 grams...
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

hanno wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:05 am
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:36 am Dishwater.. I prefer your Larry's bar review
Just scroll on?
Sorry, my post was uncalled for. Your review was very informative and will surely be useful to people.

3 litres of ganzberg and I get a little arsey.

I think it just annoyed me how hungry it made me.. and I'm not kampot's biggest fan. Too many fucking barang.

I do think you got a little unlucky with the train though. There are much nicer ones that are almost fully functioning. I guess it's just that pp line that gets battered the most
sumfin smart
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Good to see your food choices finally picked up.

I belatedly put a shitload of suggestions on your original post

the-road/kep-kampot-t55266-20.html

The road to Kep is a bit dusty agreed but it is a new 4 lane highway down to the Ha Tien border from Kampot. It will head to the coast just near the Kep Market proper and they have prepared the new road along the coast with drainage and soon to be sealed. Travel time will be around 30mins to the border. Why they dig up 20km at once and then work on 400m only is perplexing and hellish for those living near the road.

The scope of development going on in Kep is staggering though and for the better. The local Governor wants Kep to be the premier beach location in Cambodia and driving it like crazy.

Sailing Club is closed but it operates out of 'The Wave' the new modernistic seafront place they spent over $2 million on. Initially they were getting 100's of people a day visiting but 95% were just there for photo opp's - now they charge you $2 if you dont buy food or drink and as a result last week there were 4 cars and 20 motorbikes so they are hardly making money. They have destroyed the historic scenic part of the crab market by filling in the sea in front.

That riverpark (Daung Te?) is packed on the weekends and holidays - I imagine a Tuesday at this time of year it would be pretty empty.

Thanks for your reports
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:36 pm Good to see your food choices finally picked up.

I belatedly put a shitload of suggestions on your original post

the-road/kep-kampot-t55266-20.html

The road to Kep is a bit dusty agreed but it is a new 4 lane highway down to the Ha Tien border from Kampot. It will head to the coast just near the Kep Market proper and they have prepared the new road along the coast with drainage and soon to be sealed. Travel time will be around 30mins to the border. Why they dig up 20km at once and then work on 400m only is perplexing and hellish for those living near the road.

The scope of development going on in Kep is staggering though and for the better. The local Governor wants Kep to be the premier beach location in Cambodia and driving it like crazy.

Sailing Club is closed but it operates out of 'The Wave' the new modernistic seafront place they spent over $2 million on. Initially they were getting 100's of people a day visiting but 95% were just there for photo opp's - now they charge you $2 if you dont buy food or drink and as a result last week there were 4 cars and 20 motorbikes so they are hardly making money. They have destroyed the historic scenic part of the crab market by filling in the sea in front.

That riverpark (Daung Te?) is packed on the weekends and holidays - I imagine a Tuesday at this time of year it would be pretty empty.

Thanks for your reports
30 minutes to the border from Kep or Kampot? Kampot is 50km from the border.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Soriya wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:10 pm English style breakfast looks terrible and small, but holy crab is a good place with good food and nice hosts. Rest of Kep was pretty terrible when i was there in april, run down, seriously dirty, i was told they was still cleaning up after khmer new year, so thats maybe why. All in though, i found it boring.
Are you working in coal mine? For me is more than enough.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:14 pm

Yep from Kampot - 4 lane road and the new coast section shaves about 12k off the distance.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

kgbagent wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:07 pm

Yep from Kampot - 4 lane road and the new coast section shaves about 12k off the distance.
It's not following the current road 33? Where does it cut the 12km, near Kampot?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:19 pm
kgbagent wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:07 pm

It's not following the current road 33? Where does it cut the 12km, near Kampot?
Near the market in Kep on the main road cutting down past the national park it seems
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic