I need help configuring a router

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

I need help configuring a router

Post by Lonestar »

Hello all,

I have a dedicated computer in my house that needs to only be connected via a VPN to show a U.S. address. I ordered a flash router with a VPN built in. My issue now is that the other routers are daisy chained from the flash router, and when I am connected to the U.S., it is slowing down my internet speed.

I don't want to have to constantly shut down my dedicated computer every time I am not using it.

Is there some way to have it operate indepently from the modem separate from the other routers? Is there a way to have my dedicated computer running all of the time on the flash router, while my other routers are independent, or a way that if I shut down my flash router that my dedicated computer is blocked from connecting via the other routers?

I am thinking there is probably a simple fix that is just beyond my literacy on the subject.

Thanks,

Greg
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I need help configuring a router

Post by Bubble T »

Don’t use a VPN that comes bundled with your router, it is almost certainly shit and as you’re discovering, it leads to unnecessary complications. Just get a regular VPN service set up on the device that needs it. Problem solved.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Bubble T wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:43 am Don’t use a VPN that comes bundled with your router, it is almost certainly shit and as you’re discovering, it leads to unnecessary complications. Just get a regular VPN service set up on the device that needs it. Problem solved.
Gotta agree, there's almost no chance that any 'built in' VPN is worth anything.

Just some random ones that I believe are all legit enough, with Private Internet Access probably being the absolute cheapest of the bunch:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/offer/best

https://protonvpn.com/pricing

https://www.expressvpn.com/go/home
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I don't think I am explaining it properly. Is there anyone out there who is very adept at routers that could DM me?

The dedicated computer that needs to be online via a VPN in the U.S. is part of a device and you cannot just use a mouse to put it on a VPN. I need it so that when I turn it on, it always and only connects via a VPN and shows a U.S. address.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Lonestar wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:08 pm I don't think I am explaining it properly. Is there anyone out there who is very adept at routers that could DM me?

The dedicated computer that needs to be online via a VPN in the U.S. is part of a device and you cannot just use a mouse to put it on a VPN. I need it so that when I turn it on, it always and only connects via a VPN and shows a U.S. address.
Are you connecting to a specific tunnel or are you just wanting a vpn with a US address?

It's hard to understand what you want as it's normally not necessary to have a dedicated vpn running on a router. You could use a computer side vpn that would work (as others suggested)

What's the specific use case for a dedicated vpn that points to a US address?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Posting this with only my phone for internet access as we are currently enjoying a few days away from civilization. BUT... And this is without knowing the specific router involved (make and model please). It might be possible as you might be able to specify a connected PC as being outside the vpn. If this can be done by the mac address then it will be possible... But I would need the make/model to do some googling to check... There might be enough in the online manual but it's a "how long is a piece of string" question until I know the details.

Edit to add: the cheapest is unlikely to have this functionality built in but a mid or top range may have
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Do you have that router, or are you considering it?
What do you want it to do exactly?

Did you notice with this router they offer a NordVPN prescription for one year at a discount? The built in hardware VPN might no be that special / good.

If you buy it they offer this option:

"Just click CONNECT TO VPN FOR ME and provide your log in credentials. We'll make sure VPN on your FlashRouter is ready to go out of the box when you recieve it!"
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Wild guess: you work for a US based company and have lied to them about where you’re working from…

If that’s the case then you’d better hope that they are technologically inept as VPN use is easily detectable.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

You write, you daisy chained the routers,.and it slows down your other devices. Maybe the most easy solution is, to have the real internet router first and the VPN router between that one and the computer. This should work without any impact to your other existing devices and your special computer uses always the VPN. Yes, you could do this with just one router by using VLAN or dedicate a physical port to the VPN (I assume you use wired connections?), but this might be too complicated for a user (I have done this shit by console for more than 15 years in availability critical environments, Cisco and Fortinet up, down, left, right...)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic