How is the Phnom Penh Bar/ Nightlife scene now?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

How is the Phnom Penh Bar/ Nightlife scene now?

Post by snookieboi »

Was reading an interesting article on the old Walkabout and Sharky's the other day from the Phnom Penh Post, which made me wonder what the bar and night life scene is now.
It was interesting that the writer of the article wrote that Phnom Penh used to have a certain vibe, but that it has disappeared over the years,as the bar scene has changed, etc...any thoughts welcomed...
More than just any old backpacker.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How is the Phnom Penh Bar/ Nightlife scene now?

Post by John Bingham »

There weren't many bars around the city when I first came here. There were brothels everywhere and they were cheaper than bars so even if you didn't care much for the hookers there was lots of cheap beer. Sharky and Walkabout were open late or 24 hours, Martini was another option. Most locals stayed at home after dark. It was deserted, dark and sketchy. These days it is much different.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:27 pm There weren't many bars around the city when I first came here. There were brothels everywhere and they were cheaper than bars so even if you didn't care much for the hookers there was lots of cheap beer. Sharky and Walkabout were open late or 24 hours, Martini was another option. Most locals stayed at home after dark. It was deserted, dark and sketchy. These days it is much different.
Would you say Phnom Penh is now far more "normalised" compared to before? Is it better or worse in terms of the scene in general?
Do you look back and wish things stayed the same?
More than just any old backpacker.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

snookieboi wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:34 pm Was reading an interesting article on the old Walkabout and Sharky's the other day from the Phnom Penh Post, which made me wonder what the bar and night life scene is now.
It was interesting that the writer of the article wrote that Phnom Penh used to have a certain vibe, but that it has disappeared over the years,as the bar scene has changed, etc...any thoughts welcomed...
There is one bar I regulary go to that has been very busy lately.
Spoiler:

Going to paint the walls a nicotine / THC colour
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

snookieboi wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:54 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:27 pm There weren't many bars around the city when I first came here. There were brothels everywhere and they were cheaper than bars so even if you didn't care much for the hookers there was lots of cheap beer. Sharky and Walkabout were open late or 24 hours, Martini was another option. Most locals stayed at home after dark. It was deserted, dark and sketchy. These days it is much different.
Would you say Phnom Penh is now far more "normalised" compared to before? Is it better or worse in terms of the scene in general?
Do you look back and wish things stayed the same?
Places like Bassac Lane are certainly a lot different than anything that was around back then but I'm not really interested in going out late anymore so don't really know. I don't wish that things had stayed the same, the place was a mess and needed to develop.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Everything is a bit slow right now except the Khmer customer base places. With a lot of teachers gone and it being rainy season most of the foreigner targeted businesses are super slow.

The range of types of places to go is pretty good now though.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

One brand new spot i'd recommend checking out is bassac square. Dj for the grand opening this weekend 9-12. Bunch (6-8) of new bars and restaurants including a kebab spot. From the Greek restaurant go towards cloud / the water maybe half a block. From hub street cocktails going towards bassac street turn left when you get there instead of right where most of the bassac bars are. Should be obvious when you get there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic