Drink Too Much, Time To Go Home

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cambomech
Tourist
Australia

Drink Too Much, Time To Go Home

Post by cambomech »

Lately I have been thinking to myself, maybe its about time I return home. Since moving to Siem Reap a few years ago, I drink too much and go to the bars everyday out of boredom. Argue with the girlfriend everyday because i drink everyday and don't help out around the house and maybe time to man up and stop the cycle. Thoughts?
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Drink Too Much, Time To Go Home

Post by Patcan »

This place is not for everyone...Depending on how long you have been away? If you have family and money to fall back on maybe the time is near? Just don't end up homeless/helpless!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

It is a very easy cycle to fall in to, and the fact that you recognise it is half the battle won. Boredom is often a bedfellow of heavy drinking, and I have suffered similar to you in the past. Money in the bank, nothing better to do, go to the pub. Get rinsed. Rinse and repeat. Fortunately I had good friends and family around to make me realise I was in a terrible spiral. It all seemed like so much fun at the time. Until it stops being fun. Have you tried 1 day on, 2 days off (or cycles of a similar nature)? Drinking in and of itself is not the main issue. Drinking too much and it impacting your health and your relationships is.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Lacking of work / constructive hobbies is the key to boredom^^
cambomech
Tourist
Australia

Post by cambomech »

I'm not rich but I get by, I am generous when I am drunk and buy drinks for people with no real connection to me but complain the next morning when the gf wants money for durian! It's not good really is it!
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Do you not have any other interests or hobbies to occupy your time ?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Since i stopped my 24/7 job i was doing for +30 years, i went to Phuket with the Sandbox programme, 103 days later came to PP and every year more and more. Now for 2 years i dont drink anything on monday, tuesday and thursday. I do go to the pub but no alcohol. And for me that works fine. Boredom and drinking is the perfect storm, but if yo skip the alcohol its completely different. And ofcourse being sober is also boring if between big drinkers. One of my drinking-bodys past away in PP in may, he was only 72 and heavy drinker, an other wake up call for me !!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sober up man. People have survived much worse.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I went to AA in siem reap, some good guys there. I wasn't totally sober and shouldn't have gone really.. but it definitely helped reign it in
sumfin smart
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

It might be time to switch on weed...Fills the boredom, makes people talk more, cools people down, gives creative ideas....as long as it's not a stoner life from breakfast to bed, and as long as you can purchase it and smoke it without hassle, then definitely worth a try, IF you are really struggling leaving alcool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic