Drink Too Much, Time To Go Home

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Drink Too Much, Time To Go Home

Post by Tootsfriend »

Spoiler:
Stop drinking,
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Of course the availability of cheap grog in KOW together with ready access to expat, drinking buddy communities and pretty much no police DUI certainly can make it a downward spiral.

But having said that, would going back home change how much you would drink there instead? After all, it is a habit/addiction so changing location may or may not matter imo
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

^^ As Clutch says, would you drink the same at home?

If you were home, would you have more things to do (apart from drink) that would occupy your time?

Do you think you could change your habit without having to leave SR?
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Stop drinking for a bit. I did 6 months of no drinking plus daily exercise for weight loss and health, years ago. I didn’t drink daily but I found that I never returned to drinking as much as I did before the time off.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Don't have any advice or comment. But I do want to congratulate almost all the responders who seem to be trying to offer helpful advice or suggestions. Too many other times I've seen threads become bogged down with negative, sarky, critical comments about the OP or someone who's expressed an opinion. This is refreshing. Good work.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

cambomech wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:00 pm I'm not rich but I get by, I am generous when I am drunk and buy drinks for people with no real connection to me but complain the next morning when the gf wants money for durian! It's not good really is it!
I think you’ve hit your own nail squarely on the head. Take some time to reassess your priorities. What’s important to you? What makes you happy. What doesn’t make you happy. Try and find your triggers. Drink can often be seen as a defence tactic, but I’m no psychiatrist. My drinking days were always about the people I drank with and having “fun”. Until I woke up the next day feeling inside out. And then, like a chump, I went and did it all over again the next day. Duh!!!! It cost me two very good jobs, until I totally reassessed my life. I still drink. But I cycle my drinking/non-drinking days. And I think GMJS said earlier. Take a sabbatical. A good long one. They’re hard. But you can only make real life decisions sober.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

cambomech wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:05 pm I drink too much and go to the bars everyday out of boredom. Argue with the girlfriend everyday because i drink everyday
Thoughts?
That can be rinsed & repeated with the same liquid constant although different curvy variables ^^
But that'll be a return ticket to square one nonetheless, with or without plane ticket...
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Ayahuasca hekps to find you who you are.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:08 am Ayahuasca hekps to find you who you are.

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.

You'rke the yellow snow taster, and thanks for your dedickation ^^
:bow:
Spoiler:
..and you have a big stain of it on you shirt. Maybe time to try beer ? But no Bud Light, it's donkey piss^^Image
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

No real advice but good on you for sharing your concerns.

Siem Reap is such a boring place, when I lived there booze was the only hobby I had.

PP is also a drunks paradise. I found that leaving Cambodia immediately sorted my issues. Not sure if thats any help but all in all it, I found Cambodia offered nothing. I do admire those that live there & stay sober or relatively sober.

You can always do like me & return for short breaks to relive the glorious days of being constantly smashed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic