BBC Presenter Allegedly paid underage teen for sexual photos

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: BBC Presenter paid underage teen for sexual photos

Post by xandreu »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:12 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:07 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:51 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:02 pm
i am NOT defending him if its true, but he can hardly be held responsible if she used the money to buy drugs

https://apnews.com/article/bbc-presente ... 3dbdfbade2
It was a boy.
how do u know: i just looked thru various media reports online and every one says

Neither the star nor the youth was identified.

The young person, who was allegedly 17 years old when they began talking to the presenter, is said to have sent the BBC employee explicit images and performed on video calls.

The young person’s mother complained to the BBC in mid-May about the presenter’s alleged actions but he remained on air until she took her story to the Sun last week. She told the newspaper she had seen the presenter “stripped to his underpants for a video call” with her child, who is now 20 years old. “I blame this BBC man for destroying my child’s life,” she said. “Taking my child’s innocence and handing over the money for crack cocaine that could kill my child.”

The BBC suspended one of its male presenters on Sunday after he was accused of spending £35,000 buying explicit images from a young person who spent the money on crack cocaine.

The Sun newspaper reported allegations that the male presenter gave a youth 35,000 pounds ($45,000) starting in 2020 when the young person was 17.

One key legal issue is whether the young person sent the BBC presenter any pictures when they were 17, which could amount to possession of child sexual abuse images, a serious criminal charge that incurs a minimum of six months’ prison. If explicit photos were exchanged only after they turned 18, it is possible that no law was broken.

What does the young person think?
They have not been quoted in any of the Sun’s articles and it is unknown if they are taking part in any BBC investigation.

maybe i should not have said "she"..
In the letter his mother wrote to the BBC, she referred to her child as 'he'. I don't have time to look for sources right now but trust me. It was a boy. I've seen several reports where it's been determined the victim was male.
My mistake. I just tried to find the link to where I got the info from that the victim was male, and realised they were taking about the offender being male, not the victim.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IF True this is a shocker !!

'Nothing inappropriate' in BBC presenter row - young person's lawyer
Claims made by the mother at the heart of the BBC presenter scandal are "rubbish", a lawyer representing the young person has said.
The lawyer told the BBC "nothing inappropriate or unlawful" took place and the young person sent a denial to The Sun before it published the claims.

The Sun first reported allegations on Friday that a BBC presenter had paid a teenager for sexually explicit photos.
The paper says it has seen evidence to back the mother's claims.
In their letter sent on Monday to the BBC, the lawyer says the young person sent a message on WhatsApp to the paper on Friday evening denying the claims, saying the statement their mother made to the newspaper was "totally wrong and there was no truth to it".

Nonetheless, the lawyer added, the Sun newspaper proceeded to publish "their inappropriate article".
"For the avoidance of doubt, nothing inappropriate or unlawful has taken place between our client and the BBC personality and the allegations reported in the Sun newspaper are rubbish," the lawyer writes.

The lawyer also said press reporting amounted to an invasion of privacy, and criticised both the Sun and the BBC for not contacting their client.

"Nobody from the Sun newspaper appears to have made any attempt to contact our client prior to the publication of the allegations on Friday 6 July," the lawyer writes.

The lawyer also claims in the letter that the mother and the young person are estranged.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66159357

So once again has the sun put its foot in its mouth??

and from the BBC:

We're going to pause our live coverage now after several fast-paced developments in this BBC presenter allegations story.
As our legal correspondent said earlier, "an extraordinary situation" emerged when a lawyer representing the young person at the heart of these allegations disputed their mother’s account of events in a letter to the BBC. The Sun says it has seen evidence to back the mother's claims.

We know the police are involved, we know a well-known presenter has been suspended and we know there's claim and counter-claim, but there's just as many questions still unanswered.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-66147560
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

They say they are taking it seriously, but not seriously enough to name or shame.

Have they learnt anything since Jimmy Saville?
…and that is why naming and shaming should not be a priority. No matter how needy the audience.

I’m sure there will be a few more twists and turns to come, though.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Was the young person underage as the post title says? The photos for money started when the young person was 17. The age of consent to sexual activity in the UK is 16. Assuming exchanging sexually explicit photos and videos counts as sexual activity. Perhaps this explains the reluctance of the police to start an investigation. They are “assessing” the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

jah steu wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:25 pm Was the young person underage as the post title says? The photos for money started when the young person was 17. The age of consent to sexual activity in the UK is 16. Assuming exchanging sexually explicit photos and videos counts as sexual activity. Perhaps this explains the reluctance of the police to start an investigation. They are “assessing” the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a little more complicated than that, as the laws around requesting and receiving sexually explicit content from someone under 18 is different to having sexual activity with someone under 18. Some very muddy waters to sail through.

The alleged victim has made a statement through their lawyer that there is no case to answer and that the public should ignore the mother's approach to the press. And so far, police have said they are not investigating...

CAB says "You're protected by the law against sharing intimate images and there are also specific criminal laws to protect children. It's a crime to take, make, share or keep an indecent photo or video of a child under 18. The only exception is when 16 or 17 year olds take intimate photos with a spouse or partner and they're not shared with anyone else."

Watch this space, I suppose?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:41 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:12 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:07 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:51 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:02 pm
i am NOT defending him if its true, but he can hardly be held responsible if she used the money to buy drugs

https://apnews.com/article/bbc-presente ... 3dbdfbade2
It was a boy.
how do u know: i just looked thru various media reports online and every one says

Neither the star nor the youth was identified.

The young person, who was allegedly 17 years old when they began talking to the presenter, is said to have sent the BBC employee explicit images and performed on video calls.

The young person’s mother complained to the BBC in mid-May about the presenter’s alleged actions but he remained on air until she took her story to the Sun last week. She told the newspaper she had seen the presenter “stripped to his underpants for a video call” with her child, who is now 20 years old. “I blame this BBC man for destroying my child’s life,” she said. “Taking my child’s innocence and handing over the money for crack cocaine that could kill my child.”

The BBC suspended one of its male presenters on Sunday after he was accused of spending £35,000 buying explicit images from a young person who spent the money on crack cocaine.

The Sun newspaper reported allegations that the male presenter gave a youth 35,000 pounds ($45,000) starting in 2020 when the young person was 17.

One key legal issue is whether the young person sent the BBC presenter any pictures when they were 17, which could amount to possession of child sexual abuse images, a serious criminal charge that incurs a minimum of six months’ prison. If explicit photos were exchanged only after they turned 18, it is possible that no law was broken.

What does the young person think?
They have not been quoted in any of the Sun’s articles and it is unknown if they are taking part in any BBC investigation.

maybe i should not have said "she"..
In the letter his mother wrote to the BBC, she referred to her child as 'he'. I don't have time to look for sources right now but trust me. It was a boy. I've seen several reports where it's been determined the victim was male.
My mistake. I just tried to find the link to where I got the info from that the victim was male, and realised they were taking about the offender being male, not the victim.
"I don't have time to look for sources right now but trust me. It was a boy."

I put my trust in you. My faith! "I crossed my heart, and hoped to die."

I am now in hiding.

Send money to Mal Mulwalawala, c/o Cafe Boys Internet Mall, Internet City, Internet, Nigeria (next to the laundry/internet shop, across from Happy Haberdasheries and Internet Services).
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The police are probably not investigating further because there is a relationship beyond just images.
Or the risqué images actually started after the age 18 limit,
Or the mother’s account omits significant details because it doesn’t fit a perception of her ‘child’.

Or for many other reasons that may become apparent through objective, cold thinking, rather than very personal, emotive, subjective thinking.

There may be no case to answer, or the statement made counter to the mother’s claims make it sufficiently difficult that it would be a gross waste of limited resources to pursue.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I hope it's Lineker...
sumfin smart
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Piers Morgan highlighted one BBC news program involved the following situation: "BBC host asks BBC reporter standing outside the BBC about allegations against unnamed BBC star. BBC reporter says they "haven't been able to confirm" whether the BBC presenter has been suspended by the BBC."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

seems more like the Great British media machine is out for blood stirring up much intrigue and innuendo about not much at all to boost sales and numbers

which is probably better than they did while Savile was about tbf
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic