Consent to take child back home

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Consent to take child back home

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I'm about to apply for my child's British passport.

I understand to take him out of the country I need to get his mother to sign a consent form. This isn't a problem.

What I'd like to know is if there is a shelf life to the consent that has been signed? If the passport takes 6 months will the consent still be valid?
sumfin smart
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Consent to take child back home

Post by Lonestar »

I don't think this is so. I have repeatedly taken my boys to visit the U.S., and have never been asked to provide any document from their mother.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You'll need to check the requirements of the country you're travelling to for entry and departure, that will determine whether the letter is required and whether there is a shelf life.

To be on the safe side, have the mother write and sign a Consent Letter for Travel (as a Solo Parent Travelling with Kids) as close to the date you intend on departing the country, along with a copy of the child's birth certificate showing you as the father and a copy of the mother's passport or National ID, all signed by the mother.

It is highly unlikely you will be asked anything when departing Cambodia, and certainly not if you share the same last name. If your kids don't have your last name, then you may be questioned, so better to have the letter to be on the safe side.

I do this whenever I travel with the kids without my wife, not once have I ever been questioned, kids have my last name, but I'm a firm believer of it's better to be safe than sorry.

topic55333.html
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Thanks guys..
Peace of mind at least, will be traveling with too many documents just to be on the safe side
sumfin smart
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

My daughter wants to come to NZ, so I'm going to Cambodia to take her back with me early next year. Her mother will be happy to write a letter of permission. Does the permission letter need to be written in English or Cambodia (or both) and witnessed by a public official or lawyer? I have a copy of the birth certificate with my name as the father, and we share the same surname. I also have a certificate of New Zealand citizenship for her and her NZ passport. We may be travelling through Thailand or direct to Singapore. Will they ask for the documents too? I maybe worrying too much, but I'd hate to go all that way and have to go home by myself.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

To echo the experience of others, when I have travelled solo with my daughter on her British passport, a letter of consent from her mum has never been requested, although I have always had one. I I would imagine that would be different if she were travelling on a Cambodian passport, but otherwise she's treated as a British national. I'm sure you'll be fine.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand asks for nothing>

I frequently travelled with my daughter ( Thai/US passports) to other SE asian countries, Europe and the states between 96-2012
and never had a letter, never asked at immigration or at check in anywhere
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rexwell wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:43 pm My daughter wants to come to NZ, so I'm going to Cambodia to take her back with me early next year. Her mother will be happy to write a letter of permission. Does the permission letter need to be written in English or Cambodia (or both) and witnessed by a public official or lawyer? I have a copy of the birth certificate with my name as the father, and we share the same surname. I also have a certificate of New Zealand citizenship for her and her NZ passport. We may be travelling through Thailand or direct to Singapore. Will they ask for the documents too? I maybe worrying too much, but I'd hate to go all that way and have to go home by myself.
Most governments have a template, I used that one. In your case I would look for a template from NZ and use that one.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rexwell wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:43 pm My daughter wants to come to NZ, so I'm going to Cambodia to take her back with me early next year. Her mother will be happy to write a letter of permission. Does the permission letter need to be written in English or Cambodia (or both) and witnessed by a public official or lawyer? I have a copy of the birth certificate with my name as the father, and we share the same surname. I also have a certificate of New Zealand citizenship for her and her NZ passport. We may be travelling through Thailand or direct to Singapore. Will they ask for the documents too? I maybe worrying too much, but I'd hate to go all that way and have to go home by myself.
I have travelled to NZ, and other countries,with my kids, without my wife, through Thailand and Malaysia, never once was I questioned as per my previous post in this thread. Even my wife has travelled internationally with the kids without me, different last names, and she has never been questioned. However, we always write a letter, and carry necessary documentation, as per my previous post, just to be on the safe side.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Thanks for your help guys. I'm probably overthinking it. My daughter has fair skin and brown hair like me and generally resembles me in appearance, but luckily has her mother's good looks.
I travelled with my young son thru Bali, Malaysia and Thailand back in the 80's without a second glance, but I had concerns things had changed. Anyway, I'll carry a letter of permission, her birth certificate, and her NZ certificate of citizenship with me and fingers crossed we should be golden.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic