Electricity bill in name of landlord?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
OZTT
Tourist
Australia

Electricity bill in name of landlord?

Post by OZTT »

Hello,

I am renting my apartment with my khmer wife. The unit block has about 12 apartments rented out over 3 floors

The electricity bill we pay has the landlord/owners name on it & notes our unit number and we just aba pay the amount.
Is this a common thing / law in Cambodia where the utilities are in landlords/owners name? and for some reason utilities cannot be in the name of the renter?

I ask because I am in process of applying for Aussie visa for the missus and trying get bills/statements in joint names to prove relationship etc.

Cheers
TT
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Electricity bill in name of landlord?

Post by Jcml19 »

From my experience it is usually under the landlord.. a separate meter is installed so that u can check how much you've used but not always the case.

The utility bill under the tenant's name is not something i've seen before.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

This is a common issue when it comes to visa applications. I don’t know about Australia specifically but for our UK visa we were able to instead provide a copy of our rental contract, letters from our landlord and neighbors, and an explanation in our cover letter. Similar situation when it comes to proving income.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Standard, EDC and Water bills are in the property owners names.

Is the lease in both your names? If not, then try and get it changed to both your names.

Do you and your wife have a joint bank account with your address on it, and do you pay your utilities and rent from that account? If so then that's really good evidence for your Visa application. If not, then I suggest you start doing so.

My wife's first Australian Visa application was approved within 14 days of applying, very simple, and I'm not even an Aussie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic