it's tough to argue pot should be 100% illegal.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: it's tough to argue pot should be 100% illegal.

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cannabis is known to cause/increase the risk of mental health problems such as depression, paranoia, anxiety, bi polar etc
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

CEO vs CEO on the Cannabis Issue
Nancy Grace vs Nancy Grace on the Cannabis Issue

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

BOFH wrote:Image
Awesome BOFH, pls PM me with your contact. :crazy:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:Cannabis is known to cause/increase the risk of mental health problems such as depression, paranoia, anxiety, bi polar etc
Point taken - see above :lol:

Seriously, you need to be discerning in your drug-taking - everything is not good for everyone. I just think that adults should be allowed to decide for themselves.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Watched Up in Smoke last night, hilarious.

Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:Cannabis is known to cause/increase the risk of mental health problems such as depression, paranoia, anxiety, bi polar etc
Yes and no. No substance can spawn mental issues out of nowhere. Paranoia, yes, it's a side effect. It's a common mistake to claim that cannabis "causes" schizophrenia. It doesn't and it can't. It can, however, trigger schizophrenia in people that already have it, just like any other psychoactive substance including alcohol. People with mental problems shouldn't do drugs to get intoxicated, neither legal nor illegal. I hope one day this can become common sense.

Psychosis under intoxication is nothing new. It is in fact so common that drinkers don't understand the effects of alcohol and instead believe (blame) that they have been drugged, as the Kent University study has shown:
A study of more than 200 students revealed many wrongly blamed the effects of a "bad night out" on date-rape drugs, when they had just drunk excessively.

Many are in "active denial" that drinking large amounts of alcohol can leave them "incoherent and incapacitated", the Kent University researchers concluded.
The study, published in the British Journal of Criminology, found three-quarters of students identified drink spiking as an important risk – more than alcohol or drugs.

More than half said they knew someone whose drink had been spiked.

But despite popular beliefs, police have found no evidence that rape victims are commonly drugged with such substances, the researchers said.

Dr Adam Burgess from the university's School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research, said: "Young women appear to be displacing their anxieties about the consequences of consuming what is in the bottle on to rumours of what could be put there by someone else.

"The reason why fear of drink-spiking has become widespread seems to be a mix of it being more convenient to guard against than the effects of alcohol itself and the fact that such stories are exotic – like a more adult version of 'stranger danger'."
Co-researcher Dr Sarah Moore said: "We would be very interested in finding out whether the urban myth of spiking is also the result of parents feeling unable to discuss with their adult daughters how to manage drinking and sex and representing their anxieties about this through discussion of drink spiking risks."

Nick Ross, chair of the Jill Dando Institute of Crime Science, commented: "There is no evidence of widespread use of hypnotics in sexual assault, let alone Rohypnol, despite many attempts to prove the contrary.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... egend.html
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

It is worth pointing out that many "scientific" "facts" from cannabis studies have been concluded in a way that it often looks like deliberate sabotage. For example, the classical 1974 Dr. Heath/Tulane Study which found that cannabis kills brain cells. In the study, researchers used two groups of monkeys. One group was exposed to cannabis and one was not. The conclusion was echoed proudly by Ronald Reagan's voodoo department, but they initially refused to reveal exactly how the tests had been made. It wasn't until Playboy and NORML sued the government under the new Freedom of Information Act that the methods were revealed, and hear hear, it was designed to kill brain cells. The whole study is laughable propaganda at best.
Rhesus monkeys were strapped into a chair and then strapped into gas masks and given the equivalent of 63 Colombian strength joints in "five minutes, thru the gas masks" losing no smoke. The monkeys were suffocating!

When NORML/Playboy hired researchers to examine the reported results against the actual methodology, the laughed.

They discovered, almost immediately, that Heath had completely (intentionally? incompetently?) omited, among other things, the carbon monoxide the monkeys inhaled during these intervals of 63 joints in five minutes...

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that kills brain cells and is given off by any burning object. All researchers found the marijuana findings in Heath's experiment to be of no value, because carbon monoxide poisoning and other factors involved were totally left out of the report.

Three to five minutes of oxygen deprivation causes brain damage, i.e. "dead brain cells" (Red Cross Livesaving and Water Safety manual).

The Heath Monkey study was actually a study in animal asphyxiation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Because of the smoke concentration, the monkeys were, in effect, a bit like a person running the engine of their car in a locked garage five, 10, 15 minutes at a time, every day!
http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/hemp/pr ... othes.html

Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

How does one go about experiencing what is in the gif?
Wait, don’t answer that.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

How about eating weed. I once had happy pizza I just wanted to check out how does it would feel. It turned out to be one of the worst experience ever.Will never try it again no matter what.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Therapist wrote:
How does one go about experiencing what is in the gif?
Wait, don’t answer that.
easy lsd 25
peyote
mushrooms
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Therapist wrote:How does one go about experiencing what is in the gif?
Wait, don’t answer that.
LSD-25 my friend. The best substance in the world.
Samouth wrote:How about eating weed. I once had happy pizza I just wanted to check out how does it would feel. It turned out to be one of the worst experience ever.Will never try it again no matter what.
I personally advice against eating weed the first time that somebody tries it. The reason is simple: you don't know the dosage and you're unfamiliar with it. The difference between eating and smoking is that when you smoke it you feel it faster, so if you feel uncomfortable you can put it down and end it there. Compare that to eating a whole pizza and being hit by a strength that you're not prepared for.

Anybody will have a bad experience with everything if they take too much. If you start drinking by finishing a 750 ml Vodka bottle the first time then of course you will feel terrible. This doesn't mean that you wouldn't enjoy drinking two glasses, slowly, another time.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but honestly I have no interest in convincing you to do something that you don't want or appreciate. I can however say that you probably felt terrible because you ate too much and didn't expect the strength, this doesn't mean that you would like cannabis in smaller doses though but your bad experience was definitely escalated by over consumption.

If you ever decide to try it again then please don't eat it. I wouldn't recommend eating cannabis to anyone new to it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic