Tourists Love the Cute Otters of Angkor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tourists Love the Cute Otters of Angkor

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Siem Reap Province: The public on social media was very excited to see photos of a band of otters who did not seem to be at all afraid of the tourists while they took snapshots of the cute creatures. Images, including a 1 minute video, of the five animals were captured as they came out of the water and crossed the road at the Angkor Gate in Siem Reap.
It should be noted that these species were previously released by the APSARA Authority in collaboration with the NGO Wildlife Alliance to live in the Angkor Thom area, a safe wildlife sanctuary.
The Ministry of Environment calls on our compatriots to take care of all kinds of wild animals and to participate in the conservation of wildlife so they are there for everyone to enjoy.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tourists Love the Cute Otters of Angkor

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

VIDEO:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Funny how they all went back to get the laggard on the other side of the road
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cute nas. :bigeyes:
Unfortunately, being a cynic ...
Spoiler:
I predict traffic jams, tour buses, otter selfies, and vendors selling the tourists stinky fish at outrageous prices.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:55 pm Cute nas. :bigeyes:
Unfortunately, being a cynic ...
Spoiler:
I predict traffic jams, tour buses, otter selfies, and vendors selling the tourists stinky fish at outrageous prices.
any otter curries soon? dried otter noses?
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cute until some dumb tourist gets savaged by those vicious little fuckers.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DLsea
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by DLsea »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:33 pm Cute until some dumb tourist gets savaged by those vicious little fuckers.
They do have powerful jaws and can give a nasty bite in self-defense. They are extremely unlikely to attack unlessed cornered/trapped and provoked. As a visitor, otters would be the very least of my worries. A visitor has got a much higher chance of being savaged by one (or more) of the increasing population of feral and semi-domesticated dogs which abound in and around the temples and the surrounding forests.

The dog situation is bad at Phnom Bakheng, Preah Khan and very bad at Angkor Thom. While most seem to favor the sites were the vendors are concentrated, I have on more than one occasion been chased by dogs whilst cycling along the road to the east gate, and while walking and cycling on the walls surrounding Angkor Thom. Once had a muntjac come racing past me with 3 dogs in hot pursuit (one, a lactating bitch). In fact, along the walls surrounding Angkor Thom it is rare not to encounter a dog(s) or find their tracks. I think that the authorities need to tackle this issue a.s.a.p., especially when seen in the light of their rewilding project with the Wildlife Alliance. I regularly see dogs leaving the temple grounds early in the mornings - I suspect they come in to hunt at night (for food or females on heat), or, accompany their owner(s) who come in at night or very early morning to hunt/harvest etc whilst the Apsara National Authority staff are off-duty.

I suspect the situation is getting rapidly worse throughout the entire Angkor Archaeological Park area as people get moved out and abandon dogs (and let's not even talk about cats).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic