Is there still a ban on men 50+ marrying Khmer girls?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Is there still a ban on men 50+ marrying Khmer girls?

Post by SlackWaster »

Is there still a ban on foreign men 50+ marrying Khmer girls?

Been together five years. She has a job, lovely girl. But the harbinger of doom in a bar the other night said I couldn't marry her should I wish to.

Any idea? I used the search function, but no doing.

Thank you in advance.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is there still a ban on men 50+ marrying Khmer girls?

Post by armchairlawyer »

I believe not.
But see the recent thread for the many reasons not to get married in Cambodia. If you really want to, then hitch elsewhere.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:00 pm I believe not.
But see the recent thread for the many reasons not to get married in Cambodia. If you really want to, then hitch elsewhere.
Well…. Consider the benefits, surely? There are a few reasons why the Khmer marriage is a benefit. But if those reasons aren’t important, then the local process is a simply an exercise in time and money expenditure.

To answer the question- the 50year restriction appears to have been rescinded a few years back. However! Quite recently, some ill informed staff were still quoting that restriction. I think they had old stocks of the aide memoir photocopies hanging about, and were referring to that.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Blokes in bars are usually the worst source of info in Cambodia, unless you're wanting to know where all the bars that sell 50c beers are.

The age restriction on foreign males marrying Cambodian women was lifted back in 2018, minimum monthly income of USD$2500 still applies. Many old fellas have manged to successfully legally marry their Cambodian partners since the restriction was lifted.

If you would like to read some first hand reports, check out the "Married2Cambodia" Farcebook group.

Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

marrying is something from the 20th century, its a piece of paper to keep unhappy people together. How many barang men you know who after +5 years marriages tell you if drunk they did good to marry (drunk people hardly lie) !! ??
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Best thing I ever did, got married and had some little humans, has kept me on the straight and narrow (mostly)...I was always one of those guys who swore black n blue that I was never gonna marry or have kids, but now I couldn't be happier.

See what I say in another 10 years when we've been together over 20 years though aye 😂

Glad that we went through the official process so that we are legally married in Cambodia too.

P.S. Still a long way from being 50
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:38 pm Best thing I ever did, got married and had some little humans, has kept me on the straight and narrow (mostly)...I was always one of those guys who swore black n blue that I was never gonna marry or have kids, but now I couldn't be happier.

See what I say in another 10 years when we've been together over 20 years though aye 😂

Glad that we went through the official process so that we are legally married in Cambodia too.

P.S. Still a long way from being 50
Having children is great (assuming one’s relationship is good enough). But I don’t see any reason to get married, especially for expats in Cambodia.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Unfortunately, you don't get Permanent Residence and there is no dedicated Visa or EOS category for those legally married or having kids with a Cambodian Citizen. The DoI have been discussing the introduction of a dedicated Marriage/Spouse type Visa or EOS for years...still waiting though 😂

You are however eligible to apply for the EB (Business) EOS based on marriage if not working or eligible for an ER EOS.

If legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, and living together, for 3 years in Cambodia you are eligible to apply for Citizenship via marriage, and this process has become more transparent since the updated Law on Nationality was introduced, I know 3 people who have successfully obtained Citizenship in the past 12 months, with no tea money involved.

If legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, your name will be included on any Hard Titles of property purchased since the marriage was registered, and the property cannot be sold without both parties agreement. If the Cambodian spouse passes away you inherit any properties, but as foreigners are not permitted to own land, you are then required to transfer or sell the property to a Cambodian Citizen within 3 months, money from the sale is all yours. You also inherit any joint assets or funds held in a bank account, etc.

It also makes getting a Visa to the foreign partners country, and other countries where a Visa is required, easier.

Note: legally married means you have an official Cambodian Marriage Certificate, either by going through the process and approval of the MoFAIC and MoI, or having your marriage abroad recognised and approved by the MoI and having a Cambodian Marriage Certificate issued by the Sangkat. A marriage abroad is not automatically recognised.

Just having a wedding ceremony in Cambodia without going through the application process with the MoFAIC and MoI is also not legally recognised.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 pm
If legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen, your name will be included on any Hard Titles of property purchased since the marriage was registered, and the property cannot be sold without both parties agreement. If the Cambodian spouse passes away you inherit any properties, but as foreigners are not permitted to own land, you are then required to transfer or sell the property to a Cambodian Citizen within 3 months, money from the sale is all yours. You also inherit any joint assets or funds held in a bank account, etc.

I know this off topic, but a good place to ask.

We've been married 9 years in my country and 8 years legally in Cambodia. I knew I couldn't legally own the land if something were to happen to her but, on our residence book it lists our kids and our eldest is only 13. Would the land be transfered to her? Or is there an age requirement ie 18. We've never really discussed that, as it's a pretty morbid thought but we're both getting in age.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:49 pm
I know this off topic, but a good place to ask.

We've been married 9 years in my country and 8 years legally in Cambodia. I knew I couldn't legally own the land if something were to happen to her but, on our residence book it lists our kids and our eldest is only 13. Would the land be transfered to her? Or is there an age requirement ie 18. We've never really discussed that, as it's a pretty morbid thought but we're both getting in age.
Its good that you're thinking about it, as morbid as it is. Cannot own property under 18 years old...but, Cambodia recently introduced a law on Trusts, so you can set up a Trust for your kid and put the property in the Trust. I still don't know all the ins and outs, but definitely worth looking into further.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic