Doxey's Index of Irritation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

In which stage is Cambodia ?

1. Euphoria stage
16%
2. Apathy stage
32%
3. Irritation or Annoyance stage
11%
4. Hostility stage
42%

Total votes: 19
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Doxey's Index of Irritation

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:No matter how long you live in Sihanoukville, most foreigners are just seen as another foreigner. You can't know everyone.
i dunno... i'm quite well known in sihanoukville amongst the khmers, even random tuk tuk drivers know my name lol i find it a rather small place tbh, but thats why i like it, but yeah knowing some khmer does help you break those barriers, and stop the hasslers.
There are places that I go to regularly and people know me, but there are whole areas in Sihanoukville that I don't go to often, where I feel completely anonymous and it's almost like visiting another town.

I like Sihanoukvillle because it's quite big for Cambodia ; big enough to breathe in, without being a real city. I come from a small town where everyone knows everyone and I left as soon as I could walk.

And LOL that you get recognized Jamie - a khmer-speaking kick-boxer with a Geordie accent - not so many of those among the Kompong Som expat community ;)
:) i am originally from Sihanoukville and i don't know him in RL. I do like sihanoukville, but i won't go back to live there. I might be moving there in the future, not sure yet. So far i am in love with Phnom Penh.
haha but if you was to return to SHV and you saw me you would recognise me ;) haha
i think you may have lived in PP for most of the time ive lived in SHV, i moved there beginning of last year, i had been to SHV the year before but only for a few weeks holiday when i used to live in Siem Reap (with my ex GF)
I was just kidding, i moved to Phnom Penh since 2009 way before you came to live in Cambodia right ?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'm from a small town, grew up in the city, but would love to move back to a small town. I miss small town communities where everyone knows everyone else and you're either 0-18 years old, or 80-900. It has this magically wonderful comforting feel that you never find in the hustle and bustle of the city and I think it's something that everyone should experience, at least once in their lives. Nothing like home in a small town, at least for me.
-insert signature here
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: haha but if you was to return to SHV and you saw me you would recognise me ;) haha
i think you may have lived in PP for most of the time ive lived in SHV, i moved there beginning of last year, i had been to SHV the year before but only for a few weeks holiday when i used to live in Siem Reap (with my ex GF)
I was just kidding, i moved to Phnom Penh since 2009 way before you came to live in Cambodia right ?
haha yes, :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AE86 wrote:I'm from a small town, grew up in the city, but would love to move back to a small town. I miss small town communities where everyone knows everyone else and you're either 0-18 years old, or 80-900. It has this magically wonderful comforting feel that you never find in the hustle and bustle of the city and I think it's something that everyone should experience, at least once in their lives. Nothing like home in a small town, at least for me.
:plus1: yes know exactly what youre talking about there :thumb: :friends:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

2 things I wouldn't mind knowing are ;

Jamie wrote
apparently i make friends easy because i apparently dont come across like 'normal barrang', and impressed that i 'understand cambodia' and its people,
Can you explain this further please?

and

Which way did Samouth vote?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

To the 2 desperados who voted for "stage 1" :D : the question is NOT whether YOU are in the euphoria stage. ;) NO, it's somehow the other way around. But I saw it coming, and just for cases like you I have enabled the "change vote function" - just click on another option and submit, it's easy. ;)
Furthermore: Cambodia has never been in stage 1. They actually skipped stage 1 entirely and entered directly stage 2 or even 3 (and that was 20 years ago). Question is: WHERE ARE THEY NOW !!!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Between 2 and 3, but leaning closer to 2, depending where you are. Not even remotely close to 4, except perhaps in some pockets in Sihanoukville, but they've been that way for years. In fact, many years ago, I think I may have witnessed the first disillusioned frown at a barang, backpackers in Sihanoukville of course.  ;)
Advocatus Diaboli wrote:Furthermore: Cambodia has never been in stage 1. They actually skipped stage 1 entirely and entered directly stage 2 or even 3 (and that was 20 years ago). Question is: WHERE ARE THEY NOW !!!
Dead wrong.

Stage 1 was a long and wonderful time here.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

LTO wrote: Dead wrong.

Well, let's say we have different views on that one. When I arrived 15 years ago the first time I just saw apathy.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

LTO wrote:In fact, many years ago, I think I may have witnessed the first disillusioned frown at a barang, backpackers in Sihanoukville of course.  ;)
Only backpacker scum wouldn't recognise the business potential here.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LTO wrote:Between 2 and 3, but leaning closer to 2, depending where you are. Not even remotely close to 4, except perhaps in some pockets in Sihanoukville, but they've been that way for years. In fact, many years ago, I think I may have witnessed the first disillusioned frown at a barang, backpackers in Sihanoukville of course.  ;)
Advocatus Diaboli wrote:Furthermore: Cambodia has never been in stage 1. They actually skipped stage 1 entirely and entered directly stage 2 or even 3 (and that was 20 years ago). Question is: WHERE ARE THEY NOW !!!
Dead wrong.

Thank you LTO.
I was beginning to think that we were talking about a different country altogether.
And FWIW I wonder AD if you have forgotten how naive we (Khmers and "barang") could be in our relations at Stage 1 - naive, in the very best sense - otherwise, if you never had that then i'm sorry for you. I feel good here. and that continues - I'm cynical , I'm realistic, but I manage to find people here that I like and who like me too. And I like it that things are different, and that the people don't think the same as I do.
:OD: That's why i came back and back and back - not for the cheap booze nor for Angkor Wat.
Half-glass empty/half-glass full; In Cambodia I find it easier to have a half-glass full mentality.
But each to his or her own. We don't all have the same needs or desires.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic