Document legalization for use in the EU

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Re: Document legalization for use in the EU

Post by andrejsl »

Thank you guys for the answers.
I've contacted our (Slovenian) MOFA and they said the documents need to be:
  • Notarised by Cambodian MOFA
  • Notarised by Cambodian Embassy in Berlin
  • Notarised by Slovenian MOFA
I'm not really sure if document legalization is same a notarization, but they wrote to me they should be notarised.
As far as I understand it (from online reasearch) document legalization is basically verifying if the original notarization is authentic for documents that do not have an Apostille. Correct me if I'm wrong.
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Post by andrejsl »

According to Chat GPT.
Document legalization, also known as document authentication or document certification, is the process of validating the authenticity and legal status of a document for use in another country or jurisdiction. It involves verifying the genuineness of the document, the signatures on it, and the authority of the issuing party.

The purpose of document legalization is to ensure that a document issued in one country can be recognized and accepted as valid in another country. This is particularly important when dealing with legal or official documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, educational degrees, business contracts, powers of attorney, and other similar documents.

The process of document legalization typically involves several steps:
  • Notarization: The document may need to be notarized by a licensed notary public. The notary public verifies the authenticity of the signatures on the document and confirms the identity of the signatories.
  • Certification: After notarization, the document may require certification by an appropriate authority such as a government agency, ministry, or department. This certification verifies the authenticity of the notary's signature and seal.
  • Legalization: If the document is intended for use in a country that is not a party to the Hague Convention, it may require further legalization. This involves submitting the document to the embassy or consulate of the destination country for verification and endorsement. The embassy or consulate will verify the certification and authenticate the document with their seal or stamp.
  • Translation: In some cases, if the document is in a language other than the official language of the destination country, it may need to be translated by a certified translator. The translated version may also require certification or notarization.
The specific requirements and procedures for document legalization can vary depending on the countries involved and the type of document. It is advisable to consult the embassy or consulate of the destination country or seek the assistance of a professional service specializing in document legalization to ensure compliance with the necessary procedures.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:57 pm I've used a notary to translate a birth certificate for an EU passport with no issues.
The EU provides guidelines, individual members can have individual requirements. I had to have the birth certificate translated and legalized by the Cambodian MoFA, then had to take it to the Dutch embassy in Bangkok to have the legalization checked, and then had to officially recognize my kid in front of a public servant and the kid's mother which could only be done in my country at the time.
To be honest it's the most idiotic procedure I've ever followed, but at that time, in my situation, that was the way to go.
Would I have been legally married to the kid's mum a much easier procedure would have sufficed. F@cking Catholic / Protestant heritage I guess.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic