Scammed at Larry’s Bar

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Scammed at Larry’s Bar

Post by Freightdog »

These days, no matter where I go, I generally find the service reasonably consistently average, and below a hypothetical minimum standard.
Expectations are generally quite low, but some establishments, or certain staff/shift time combos still manage to achieve an even lower standard.

Of course, there’s places where folk do a fantastic job, and those places I will tip. As a rule, though, it’s like watching kids being supervised at times. Take your eyes off them, it reverts to rubbish.

Larry’s, Harry’s or any of a dozen other places.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Don't think that I've ever been - or if I have I have forgotten completely

Always thought it was a spot for moneyed older fellows to pamper their egos and the staff tip fund, so had no reason to go; being neither moneyed or older
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I would usually go there as a pit stop before the band started playing at Oscars at 10:30 on Tuesday and Saturday nights. Not anymore.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Without reading this entire thing

Outside of the first post, everyone else commenting here sounds like they have something big against Larry's bar and it's just one giant hit piece.

The post now shows up 6th on Google after searching "Larry's Bar Cambodia" so I guess keep bumping it if y'all want it higher.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Darkcel wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:14 pm Without reading this entire thing

Outside of the first post, everyone else commenting here sounds like they have something big against Larry's bar and it's just one giant hit piece.

The post now shows up 6th on Google after searching "Larry's Bar Cambodia" so I guess keep bumping it if y'all want it higher.
Actually if you did read anything outside the first post you would see that there is a large group defending the establishment.

I’m not bashing the place itself, it’s just that the service crew seem to have their priorities not aligned with what I would call even decent service at times. So why keep going back to a place where it’s a hit and miss with service?
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Kenr wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:23 pm

Actually if you did read anything outside the first post you would see that there is a large group defending the establishment.

I’m not bashing the place itself, it’s just that the service crew seem to have their priorities not aligned with what I would call even decent service at times. So why keep going back to a place where it’s a hit and miss with service?
It doesn't matter if they're defending it or not. If I was a tourist and was looking for places to eat and happened upon the restaurant name on a site like trip advisor,just to Google it and see "Scammed at Larry's bar" right under the initial description of the restaurant I wouldn't visit there, even without reading it.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Darkcel wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:28 pm

It doesn't matter if they're defending it or not. If I was a tourist and was looking for places to eat and happened upon the restaurant name on a site like trip advisor,just to Google it and see "Scammed at Larry's bar" right under the initial description of the restaurant I wouldn't visit there, even without reading it.
I understand what you are saying. But in all fairness if the OP was indeed scammed, intentionally or not, it should be brought to people’s attention.

I received sub-par service on too many occasions so I stopped going there. I didn’t complain about it, just stopped going. Now if I had been shortchanged by any significant amount then that would be a different story.

I had been there enough times to see the distractions by the staff due to various reasons, so I could see how something like this could happen there, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Positive and negative reviews of an establishment should be weighed equally.
Last edited by Kenr on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kenr wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:40 pm

I received sub-bar service on too many occasions so I stopped going there. I didn’t complain about it, just stopped going. ….
Sub-bar works service - isn’t that what some male posters yearn for?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

violet wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:53 pm

I received sub-bar service on too many occasions so I stopped going there. I didn’t complain about it, just stopped going. ….
Sub-par
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Kenr wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:29 pm
violet wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:53 pm

Sub-par
Yes, I realised that but wanted to take the opportunity of a gentle ribbing
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic