Scammed at Larry’s Bar

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Scammed at Larry’s Bar

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:46 pm Used to date in Spain a waitress 15 years back, and she learned me, how farther from the kitchen how worse for us.
I used to date a Colombian girl in Texas about 10 years back. All I learnt from her is that if a girl can't be trusted with her own cousin, she probably isn't the one
sumfin smart
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:29 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:46 pm Used to date in Spain a waitress 15 years back, and she learned me, how farther from the kitchen how worse for us.
I used to date a Colombian girl in Texas about 10 years back. All I learnt from her is that if a girl can't be trusted with her own cousin, she probably isn't the one
I’m fairly certain this is a rule respected by middle classes only, and irrelevant to royal families and trailer trash in equal measure, for as long as there have been trailers and royals…
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:29 pm
At least it wasn't a donkey..

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

hanno wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:53 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:01 am I remember leaving a negative post for Alamo and getting roasted multiple times by some members for it. How dare I leave a review because I wasn’t living there for decades. Same psycho analyzing, doctor playing, navel gazing keyboard warriors. Until Srey Choppy happened.

I would assume a good owner would want to know about problems at his establishment. But how the poor OP has been crucified by members on this forum, maybe not.
I have no problem getting roasted. But there are certainly double-standards at play here. If I had made the same comment about, let's say, a Khmer restaurant not being frequented by the esteemed forum members, it would be all good. Mention a restaurant where the CEO clientele seems to be in the majority, and the pitchforks come out.
I have been following the rumpus, and I will certainly be vigilant the next time I visit Larry's. Which will be in approximately 14 days.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Gary Small wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:01 am I remember leaving a negative post for Alamo and getting roasted multiple times by some members for it. How dare I leave a review because I wasn’t living there for decades. Same psycho analyzing, doctor playing, navel gazing keyboard warriors. Until Srey Choppy happened.

I would assume a good owner would want to know about problems at his establishment. But how the poor OP has been crucified by members on this forum, maybe not.
I have no problem getting roasted. But there are certainly double-standards at play here. If I had made the same comment about, let's say, a Khmer restaurant not being frequented by the esteemed forum members, it would be all good. Mention a restaurant where the CEO clientele seems to be in the majority, and the pitchforks come out.
So in that imaginary khmer restaurant you're visiting? I would have said , that you should have really checked your imaginary money before handing it over. Having imaginary drinks when you're not a big drinker addles the brain.
Why would you say the restaurant and the horrific event is imaginary?

The place existed and the events are real.

This thread is the perfect example why 99% lurk and don’t dare contribute to make CEO are richer place.

People don’t like being attacking for telling the truth, or even expressing their opinions.

And I never claimed to be tough, only paid to be abused at work.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:18 pm
Gary Small wrote:

So in that imaginary khmer restaurant you're visiting? I would have said , that you should have really checked your imaginary money before handing it over. Having imaginary drinks when you're not a big drinker addles the brain.
Why would you say the restaurant and the horrific event is imaginary?

The place existed and the events are real.

This thread is the perfect example why 99% lurk and don’t dare contribute to make CEO are richer place.

People don’t like being attacking for telling the truth, or even expressing their opinions.

And I never claimed to be tough, only paid to be abused at work.
I'm confused, who's opinion is this?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:46 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:26 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm

Would be nice to have a photo or two of the boy group sitting in the said establishment showing how they wonder what possibly could be going wrong.
They spend the majority of the time sitting outside when I’ve been there. They only come inside to mess with the television or to find the girl who is supposed to be outside servicing customers. Not sure how late they stay, never been there at closing time.
The staff works at least until 00.30h and if busy also later ofcourse. Kitchen closes i think midnight, but not sure. Never sit outside at the "VIP-tabel" next to the door. I like the bar just to eat on and watch some sports i dont understand at all (Cricket-Football or whatever). Sitting at the bar makes you easy client because you are next to the "source". Used to date in Spain a waitress 15 years back, and she learned me, how farther from the kitchen how worse for us. No problem to walk with food or empty plates 20 meters, but if you do 1000 trips a day, those 10 meters make a big difference. Only anoying at the bar is that often while eating someone arrives, sit next to me, and just when the food arrives lights a big fu**** cigare. But, yes, thats Cambodia; isn it ??
They must have changed their times because the last time I was in there they closed at 11:00 pm.

I always sat at the bar inside.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Gary Small wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:43 pm

[Mod edit: no need for name calling]
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:39 am
Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:46 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:26 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm

Would be nice to have a photo or two of the boy group sitting in the said establishment showing how they wonder what possibly could be going wrong.
They spend the majority of the time sitting outside when I’ve been there. They only come inside to mess with the television or to find the girl who is supposed to be outside servicing customers. Not sure how late they stay, never been there at closing time.
The staff works at least until 00.30h and if busy also later ofcourse. Kitchen closes i think midnight, but not sure. Never sit outside at the "VIP-tabel" next to the door. I like the bar just to eat on and watch some sports i dont understand at all (Cricket-Football or whatever). Sitting at the bar makes you easy client because you are next to the "source". Used to date in Spain a waitress 15 years back, and she learned me, how farther from the kitchen how worse for us. No problem to walk with food or empty plates 20 meters, but if you do 1000 trips a day, those 10 meters make a big difference. Only anoying at the bar is that often while eating someone arrives, sit next to me, and just when the food arrives lights a big fu**** cigare. But, yes, thats Cambodia; isn it ??
They must have changed their times because the last time I was in there they closed at 11:00 pm.

I always sat at the bar inside.

Then i should know you probably, hahaha. I ve been eating there more then ounce after midnight, but useally i leave around 10.30 as the music starts at Oscars. More then once i arrived around 11.30 and at least half of the staff were sleeping on the couches because there was nobody inside. But the kitchen made my food without any discussion?
Probably they changed the hours because low season. I left PP in februari, will be back in 8 weeks and the shares from Anchor will raise again i suppose !!
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:33 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm I dont think that Hanno is being roasted or the like. His standing is simply too good. They guys are all walking home with wet toes.

In consequence, the only thing the kids can do is to divert the discussion. They do not realize that they cant change the topic. So the 7th cavalry aint saving anyone but just riding their hero deeper and deeper into the mud. The more they belly dance and no real answer comes from the one who should be answering the worse for the said owner.

While the click count generated is excellent for the forum, I am not sure that somebody near the riverside arrives at the same conclusion.

So, forward Christian soldier..... it can only get worse.
Why are you writing like this^^^^^^. Wet toes, kids, 7th cavalry. It’s like listening to conversation by someone who speaks in catchphrases…

It is an assessment. Most of these guys post utterly boring stuff day in and out. This time they went a bit too far.

Hanno is a well-respected poster. He has contributed quality info over the years and I am not the only one who read what he has to contribute. So I appreciate his effort when he takes the time and shares. Him giving a negative review is exceptional and I do not recall when it happened the last time.

wet toes. A number of the characters tried to p... at Hanno. Well, given Hanno's standing and their own posting record their reach is described by their toes. Which means their problems when walking home at night are not limited to their underwear but extend to their toes as well.

7th cavalry - that was a concession to the fact that this is an English speaking forum. More accurately the defenders of the said bad are to be described as L'armata Brancaleone although this can be understood as being unfair to Vittorio Gassman.

Kids - there is no secret to this. I think that gaslighting campaign is childish. We had it in the past on TOF over and again. Schoolboys defending what they believe is their turf.

The whole discussion here is, however, not useless. After Hanno's initial remarks about having a less than satisfactory dinner experience plus being scammed on top of it we now have ample information and insights into the crowd that hangs out there. Another reason not to drop by the place. The crowd is unpleasant online who wants such people in the same room? It's a bit like St. 172.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic