twitter limits how many posts ur allowed to read WTF?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

twitter limits how many posts ur allowed to read WTF?

Post by phuketrichard »

DAM:::
12:01 AM · Jul 2, 2023
Elon Musk@elonmusk
To address extreme levels of data scraping & system manipulation, we’ve applied the following temporary limits:

-July 1 (Reuters) - Twitter is limiting how many tweets per day various accounts can read, to discourage "extreme levels" of data scraping and system manipulation, Executive Chair Elon Musk said in a post on the social media platform on Saturday.

Verified accounts were initially limited to reading 6,000 posts a day, Musk said, adding that unverified accounts will be limited to 600 posts a day with new unverified accounts limited to 300.

The temporary reading limitation was later increased to 10,000 posts per day for verified users, 1,000 posts per day for unverified and 500 posts per day for new unverified users, Musk said in a separate post without providing further details.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: twitter limits how many posts ur allowed to read WTF?

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:53 am DAM:::
12:01 AM · Jul 2, 2023
Elon Musk@elonmusk
To address extreme levels of data scraping & system manipulation, we’ve applied the following temporary limits:

-July 1 (Reuters) - Twitter is limiting how many tweets per day various accounts can read, to discourage "extreme levels" of data scraping and system manipulation, Executive Chair Elon Musk said in a post on the social media platform on Saturday.

Verified accounts were initially limited to reading 6,000 posts a day, Musk said, adding that unverified accounts will be limited to 600 posts a day with new unverified accounts limited to 300.

The temporary reading limitation was later increased to 10,000 posts per day for verified users, 1,000 posts per day for unverified and 500 posts per day for new unverified users, Musk said in a separate post without providing further details.
Dam, or Damn?
Are you expressing shock at the move, the limits set, the revised limits, the fact that an account holder might read that may tweets in a day (an average human one, I submit, could not), or that there are forces at play manipulating the tweeterverse for potentially nefarious reasons?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

The worst bit is that tweets will be behind a paywall. Those of us without an account will not be have access. I’m not becoming Twitter active now.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The limitation has been imposed to address data scraping and an event must have occurred that has stressed their systems. Until they find a way to limit this then the only way, initially, to stop it is to cap the whole lot.

I read a very well informed tweet about data scraping and what a malevolent actor could do with an extensive "scrape" and it is a lot. Once I can get my son off my laptop I'll dig the tweet out and post it here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Elon Musk blamed data scraping for strict 'rate limits' on viewing tweets. Twitter's former head of trust and safety says it's not the first time the site's been broken by someone 'bumbling around in the rate limiter.'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/e ... r-AA1djA52

Data scraping, or web scraping, is a process of importing data from websites into files or spreadsheets. It is used to extract data from the web, either for personal use by the scraping operator, or to reuse the data on other websites. There are numerous software applications for automating data scraping.

Data scraping is commonly used to:
  • Collect business intelligence to inform web content
    Determine prices for travel booking or comparison sites
    Find sales leads or conduct market research via public data sources
    Send product data from eCommerce sites to online shopping platforms like Google Shopping
Data scraping has legitimate uses, but is often abused by bad actors. For example, data scraping is often used to harvest email addresses for the purpose of spamming or scamming. Scraping can also be used to retrieve copyrighted content from one website and automatically publish it on another website.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:24 am The limitation has been imposed to address data scraping and an event must have occurred that has stressed their systems. Until they find a way to limit this then the only way, initially, to stop it is to cap the whole lot.

I read a very well informed tweet about data scraping and what a malevolent actor could do with an extensive "scrape" and it is a lot. Once I can get my son off my laptop I'll dig the tweet out and post it here.
The event/s are
1. OpenAI (and similar) success and the fact its learning has come from scraping the internet- in particular Twitter and Reddit
2. The changes at Reddit, seemingly inspired by Twitter’s changes (although denied by the CEO), and then in turn inspiring this further change at Twitter
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Without any regulation, development unfettered is always going to result in, sometimes seemingly draconian, responses in reaction to rather than planned adjustment.

Not unlike quarantines, and lockdowns.

The presence of platforms may give the perception of availability of free speech, but then something comes along to question whether it’s what you actually want.

Someone once sang-

You can’t always get what you need
But if you try sometime
You’ll get what you want.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

It's just sensible business. If Twitter does nothing then the whole site/app is crippled for everyone, but yes - somehow it is #4 or 5 on the BBC front pages? Those guys are still so butthurt their guy got absolutely toasted in his interview with Musk.

Musk could do a lot worse than reach out to some of the big computer game giants who deal with DDoS attacks & the like all the time whilst keeping the lights on extremely active servers.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Elon Musk is so funny. Is there fuck view limit. I wonder if Richard looks at more than 6000 twitters a day.?
Elon Musk is a massive troll and he just trolled Richard. lol
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

my nokia 3310 doesnt work on twitter, porblem solved !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic