Dogs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Dogs

Post by Freightdog »

I’m sure there’s a law, obscure or tenuous, somewhere that deals with this-
(Might be TL-DR)

The noisy fuckers that announce anything taller than a rat, moving within 10feet of the front gate.
Today, the two most annoying critters on our road launched out of their holes and alarmed the little fella so much that he’d yanked his hand from mine and ran across the road before I’d even blinked.
Trying to inform a 4 year old that these vermin are actually harmless is akin to explaining something to a Khmer woman using logic and reason.
It’s futile and life shortening.

After a well aimed set of those clacking-fucking-balls (that are all the rage, currently) with which I managed to hit the nearer of the two mutts enough to get a yelp, I was able to corral the pair back inside their owner’s home, and closed the doors so they could yelp all they liked in an enclosed space, and shit all over to their hearts content.
I pray to the gods that they’d recently had breakfast, and the new stress was a laxative.

Expecting an encounter this evening, with their owner, nothing occurred. They’re just as noisy, though; but make better use of available cover, now.

So. As much as I like the idea of occasional target practice with whatever object comes to hand, and not being shy of discussing the matter with an upset resident, Man to muppet*, is there a slightly calmer way of having this dealt with? Village chief and a couple of starched shirts visiting with a letter and a machete.
Welding the gates shut from the outside, maybe.

In the meantime, if anyone has some Vietnamese recipes with colour illustrations- I might print a few flyers and post them through the other offending doors, too.

*don’t ask me to identify which is which
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Dogs

Post by IraHayes »

Develop a limp and acquire a stout walking stick
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I suppose chocolate coated onions is going too far.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:37 pm I suppose chocolate coated onions is going too far.
not if the chocolate is of the bowel relieving kind
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:57 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:37 pm I suppose chocolate coated onions is going too far.
not if the chocolate is of the bowel relieving kind
For dogs, it can be a bit more relieving than just of bowels.

Maybe I should run my own myth-busters- Is Chocolate really bad for dogs?
However, in reality, the core problem is the owners. But given that we also have twats in vehicles and bikes with way too little aptitude and far too much attitude, it’s not healthy for kids to be scared across the road at the wrong moment. Laxatives in sausages could be a half way effort. That might be fun. Especially in the heat.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Growing up in Cambodia takes courage, both from Parents & kids. If that's lacking, contact the 'competent authorities'.
If they are of no use teach your kids to deal with it or leave. It's really that simple IMHO.

[Edit]
I am not particularly popular in my neighborhood because of the way I look at the world. That comes as a bonus if you choose to stay.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m frankly not averse to kicking the mutts if they get too close again. They were particularly closer than normal. Neither do I have a problem with teach my lad how to deal with dogs, and stand his ground.
I’m not quite sure where lack of courage comes from. Maintaining some semblance of civility in the neighbourhood- especially as he and I clearly stand out, and as the unhinged in the country frequently make the news for their response to perceived disrespect by the sluggish of thinking. I’m liking the walking stick idea. My grandmother had one with a two foot concealed blade. I might ship it over.
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Private Nuts »

I have found dogs in Cambodia to be less aggressive than in Thailand for some reason.
My solution is, I carry a selfie stick, usually just for camera stuff, but if a dog comes at me, extend it and move it in a about to hit motion. Works for me.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Move into a condom the dog numbers will only increase, and their owners are either deaf or they are used to it and inconsiderate. A local guy in Baeng Sen beach in Thailand poisoned 40 feral dogs many years ago, meat and Rattex, he was jailed, but much as I love animals, I would have bought him a bottle of decent whisky, it was quiet for a few weeks after that.

I also saw an electronic advice advertised on FB which emits a special audio frequency which dogs cannot tolerate. Looks a bit like an electronic car door unlocker.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I have heard that a squirt from a water pistol will deter some dogs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic