Dogs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dogs

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I also saw an electronic advice advertised on FB which emits a special audio frequency which dogs cannot tolerate.
There's a pesty barking dog up the road from us whenever we walk past. Just for fun tried this..

Dunno if the dog dies of shock when it hears that but seems to shut him up :lol: Worth a try.. :wink:
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

I lived on a brand new road last year and Khmer women and men walked every morning with a stick..packs slept waiting..like hyenas or coyotes..
Attack from the rear..
I have found Khmer dogs to be very skittish...they act like the news is out about the millions consumed each year....plus, they seem to be expecting abusive kicks...etc..
Has anyone ever seen a cat here with an entire tail?
Walk with stick..Khmer do...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

JReb wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:28 am Has anyone ever seen a cat here with an entire tail?
Are you going to tell us that dogs are responsible for cats not having entire tails?
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Chase them down.. out-crazy them.
I scream at them 'BBQ' and 'soup', never once have they retaliated. It's even better when the owners are about watching sheepishly...

I've been bitten twice, but both times was out of nowhere, caught off guard.
sumfin smart
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The last time I was bitten by a dog was about a decade ago. I’ve been bitten by more humans than dogs, which probably says something.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

In many similar places such as Cambodia I have been (work related) I have carried my trusty stockwhip on early morning walks. It allows me to keep them at a reasonable distance and, if required, inflict pain as a deterrent.
I dont use it here on my morning walks as I haven't had problems in PP.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Arget wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:05 pm In many similar places such as Cambodia I have been (work related) I have carried my trusty stockwhip on early morning walks. It allows me to keep them at a reasonable distance and, if required, inflict pain as a deterrent.

Could come in handy walking past a certain country's embassy... :whip: :plus1:
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Mime bending over and picking up a stone or just hold your fist above your head. That always deters them.
Scarier than malaria.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Lesson 1. Teach your kids to never run away from dogs. It's the dogs instinct to chase its victims and bite from behind. It's the same with most wild animals. If you face towards the dog and stand tall , slowly backing away there is a lot less likelihood of being bitten . As kids are not so tall and their face is closer to the ground level they should be very careful if the try to pick up a stone or stick.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

All that aside, I’m getting the impression that there isn’t any official pressure that can be put on the owners, while maintains relatively peaceful relations. Which is not a problem. It just means that there’s a some latitude.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic