Possible, attempted coup in Russia??

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Possible, attempted coup in Russia??

Post by phuketrichard »

this might be worth following

Ukraine-Russia war live: Russian troops on high alert amid Wagner attempted coup
A Russian armoured vehicle on the streets of Rostov on Friday night - REUTERS
© REUTERS

Russian military has ordered Wagner troops to return to their bases amid reports the mercenary group has launched a coup against the Kremlin.

On Friday night Yevgeny Prigozhin, the Wagner mercenary leader, accused the Russian military of shelling his fighters and said his group would stop the “evil” of Moscow’s military leadership.

Ukrainian forces are stepping up their attacks on the frontline to “take advantage” of Wagner’s attempted coup, according to Russia’s ministry of defence.

full story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uk ... r-AA1cXLaZ
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Possible, attempted coup in Russia??

Post by Username Taken »

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Yeah I'm going to need more beer, this is starting to get interesting.

I don't see how Wagner could make a move like this without being willing to take it all the way or die trying, because Putin sure as hell won't just say 'no hard feelings, let's forget about it' after this move.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:13 am Yeah I'm going to need more beer, this is starting to get interesting.

I don't see how Wagner could make a move like this without being willing to take it all the way or die trying, because Putin sure as hell won't just say 'no hard feelings, let's forget about it' after this move.
Yeah, this is the end of the Wagner group

There's a decent Politico piece on it that I can't be arsed sharing
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Wouldn't it be nice.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:30 am
Random Dude wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:13 am Yeah I'm going to need more beer, this is starting to get interesting.

Yeah, this is the end of the Wagner group

There's a decent Politico piece on it that I can't be arsed sharing
Yeah, maybe... he just grabbed the bear by its balls and now the bear is going to be looking to tear him apart.
You'd have to assume he knows what he's getting into though, probably has a good idea of Russia's capabilities, a good idea of their strengths and weaknesses, who knows? Maybe he knows Putin is more of a paper tiger than the world realizes. Maybe his plan is to take out the Russian generals and offer Putin a partnership deal where Prigozhin runs the military under Putin.

One thing's for sure though, if Wagner isn't still in the war with Ukraine, where would that leave Putin?

EDIT: Or maybe he's a reckless idiot who got drunk and fucked up big time.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

I'm guessing Ramzan Kadyrov and crew are following the Wagners' apparent kamaikaze march closely. If I recall, they handled their contract re-negotiations quite differently.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

When will Kadyrov make his move?

Wagner/Prigozhin must have some confidence that this really can be taken to its necessary conclusion. But what then? The last thing anyone wants is an effective pro-war leadership doing a better job of it.
I wonder how many senior Russian ranks are going to go on holiday? I hear Turkey can be pretty nice at this time of year, albeit full of Turks and Russians.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

DAM, seems he is all in: just updated:

Russia LIVE Updates: Wagner chief wows to topple military leadership, says 25,000-strong force 'ready to die'
Wagner group chief Yevgeny Prigozhin declared determination to oust Russian military leadership, accusing them of attacking his men. He claimed they would persist until the end. Meanwhile, the country's prosecutor general announced an investigation into Prigozhin for armed rebellion.

The head of the Wagner mercenary group vowed Saturday to "go to the end" to topple the Russian military leadership, whom he accused of launching strikes on his men, while the country's prosecutor general said he was under investigation for "armed rebellion".

"We are going onwards and we will go to the end," Yevgeny Prigozhin, 62, said in an audio message.

"We will destroy everything that stands in our way," he added in the most audacious challenge to President Vladimir Putin since the start of the offensive in Ukraine last year.

good time line of recent events
https://www.livemint.com/news/world/rus ... 01382.html

its Death or victory for him now
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic