I need to cover the railings on my terrace

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

I need to cover the railings on my terrace

Post by kritsana77 »

I need to cover the railings on my terrace so my dogs won't bark at the people in the next building who have cats. I was either going to get a roll of plastic or get a roll of cloth. I think the cloth would be more durable and be easier to tie down. Plus, I want to leave them some peepholes on the other side so they can check out the views and smells. It's got to be at least a meter wide and 22 M long. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
Buck
Expatriate
Canada

Re: I need to cover the railings on my terrace

Post by Buck »

I would recommend using a roll or two of finished bamboo screening that is made specifically for this purpose. Combine that with some small black zip ties that will be almost invisible and a string of LED patio lights, and you can have a very stylish and functional terrace/ patio / balcony.

Just my .02

B
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Is it affordable and where can I get a roll of it? It's a very cool idea but I have to make sure the dogs can't peek through and see those cats. Thank you for the suggestion
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Using a cover to stop them seeing is not going to work, they have developed a habit of barking and will still sense by smell and sound that something is on the other side to bark at. The proper method is to fix the problem where it starts, and that is with you and the dogs. Train and educate your dogs and if you cannot do it, get a professional dog trainer to do it,
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I had to cover my balcony railing because my cats kept trying to jump through the rails. I found yoga mats on sale at AEON for $7.00. I wove it between the rails. You would need two of them probably. I think the dogs would stop barking if they can't see the cats.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rgrowden wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:57 am I had to cover my balcony railing because my cats kept trying to jump through the rails. I found yoga mats on sale at AEON for $7.00. I wove it between the rails. You would need two of them probably. I think the dogs would stop barking if they can't see the cats.
Cats verse dogs. Am I the only one that can see the difference.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Solution: I went to Ouressey Market and got 20 m. of black material for 20 dollars. It was wide enough that I could triple fold it over on the top of the railing so it was even on the bottom. I then used a cigarette to burn holes under the top of the railing and got long zip ties. I would only partially tighten the zip ties until I had it even on the bottom. The bottom rested on the ground and there were some tiles up there to hold them down. I did not tighten the bottom because of the storms and winds. They are only partial tiles so they give way and the material rises without tearing. Plus on the opposite side from the cats they have a peak hole to check out the view and smell. It does not smell at all because I use a refillable shower gel pump container and a few squirts hit it with a hose. Lift it up and let it dry. The neighbors in the next building were very complimentary and it looks great. No, the tiles don't make a racket when the wind blows them free. Tools used: My size 11 sneakers to measure, scissors to start the cut then tear (always triple measure) a pack of smokes and lighter. I lost my pliers in my last move and it worked to my advantage. I could use both arms to make sure it was even and used my front teeth to tighten up the zip ties. There are pictures and a video on Facebook.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The real problem here is not that the dogs bark at the cats. It’s that the cats know that they can agitate the dogs, who will bark. Which will continue, cats being cats.

Which is why I like cats. Their sense of humour is nearly perfectly evolved.
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:47 pm The real problem here is not that the dogs bark at the cats. It’s that the cats know that they can agitate the dogs, who will bark. Which will continue, cats being cats.

Which is why I like cats. Their sense of humour is nearly perfectly evolved.
The barking at the cats has stopped. There are cat people and dog people. I am in my late 50's and have owned dogs for 43 years. There are no bad dogs. There are a lot of bad dog owners.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

I don't' have a dog or cat, but all my fences have peepholes.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic