Body of New-Born Baby Found in Bag by Bridge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Body of New-Born Baby Found in Bag by Bridge

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kampong Speu Province): The body of a baby in a bag was found by the villagers near the O'Krang Ambel Bridge, on the evening of June 22, 2023, in Anlong Kong village, Samrong Tong District, Kampong Speu Province. The local people were extremely shocked by what they discovered when they opened the bag, and they immediately called the police.

Samrong Tong district police confirmed that the baby died about three days ago, was less than a week old, and still had the umbilical cord attached. The baby had been wrapped in a red sarong and placed inside a black plastic bag before it was thrown away.
The baby's body is being stored at the Kampong Speu Provincial Referral Hospital, awaiting the expertise of the Child Protection Unit (CPU) to determine the cause of death.
RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Body of New-Born Baby Found in Bag by Bridge

Post by Freightdog »

This is an honest query, aimed squarely at the clearer thinking, longer term expats. So, short timers like me are probably not so reliable in their perceptions.

For the population size, it seems to me that maternal/paternal instinct is quite lacking at times- not as a majority, but potentially as a larger minority. This thread being an extreme example, and quite possibly flawed. But a fairly general observation that I make is that the natural care and concern that I feel is so infrequently reflected in many younger ‘parents’.

Kids wandering around untended; under the care of distracted, even unsuited grandparents. Choking hazards, etc.

Now, before any panties get twisted, I acknowledge-
It’s a different culture
It’s a different social climate
The gulf between have & have not might be more pronounced.
Reporting may just as easily be skewed

But I’ve certainly seen in my 5 years here, more reports about
Abandoned dead newborn babies
Drowned kids 2-5yrs old
Teen Kid on kid violence
Adult on kid violence
Familial homicides

I’ve also witnessed several times over, a level of behaviour and disdain towards kids exhibited by certain family members that’s cringe worthy. I’ve even commented to SWMBO that similar behaviour in many western countries would have those parents in handcuffs. Rightly or wrongly. Yet, their peers here don’t bat an eyelid.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:33 pm This is an honest query, aimed squarely at the clearer thinking, longer term expats. So, short timers like me are probably not so reliable in their perceptions.
There's a few things coming to mind instantly.

First, there's a general lack of knowledge. Lack of technical knowledge (electricity for instance). Lack of medical/ biological knowledge. When someone chokes, few Cambodians will know what to do. When a gas canister exploded in my neighbor's face, instead of using water, water and more water to cool, they applied the good old Tiger Balm (imagine the horror & pain), all with the best intentions.

Second, there's a light heartiness in this country which makes life very nice on one side, but leads to recklessness as well. Maybe there's also still some belief in Karma?

And third, life isn't valued as much as in the West. A life is generally worth just a few thousand dollars.

These are just three instant brain-farts.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I think you need to take into consideration that there's a big divide between knowledge and responsibility in educated, city Khmer compared to the poorer city folk and rural folk.

In the city we work with educated Khmer who more often than not are bi-lingual or at the very least have a good command of another language.
In the rural sector, many people are still uneducated, and there are many who no amount of schooling will make any difference. Their lives are like groundhog day on a loop.

In the city, most of the weddings I have attended have been between educated Khmer aged about 30, give or take a few years.
In the province, just about all weddings I have attended are between kids in their teens who have little education or skills.

Reading through Freightdog's list (below), these incidents are far more common in the countryside than in the city.
"Abandoned dead newborn babies
Drowned kids 2-5yrs old
Teen Kid on kid violence
Adult on kid violence
Familial homicides"

I would say that a lot of these problems are still spinoffs from the bad old days of the KR. Four years and ten months of being told what to do and when to do it everyday probably hasn't helped.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

truffledog wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:52 pm Image
Hey i know this movie, Expandables 4 right ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I would say that a lot of these problems are still spinoffs from the bad old days of the KR. Four years and ten months of being told what to do and when to do it everyday probably hasn't helped.
I don't see much connection there. The majority citizens weren't even born then, although it would have had an effect on their parents' or grandparents' education. Violence and ignorance were around long before and after Pol Pot's brief reign (BTW less than four years).
In this case it's likely to be an unmarried teenager/ woman who has hidden their pregnancy due to taboos in traditional society. These taboos have existed through all regimes and date back many centuries.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

It seems more than common for new mothers to drop their child off with the grandparents to get out of town to find work. Any age from around 2 months old and they're gone. Western psychiatrists agree young children need to see at least one of their parents every day up to the age of 7.

Not having this basic contact can lead to attachment issues, unable to form relationships due to a lack of trust.

My ex was given to the gramps at 2 years, she hasn't got a maternal bone in her body. One of the worst mothers I've ever know, not because she's mean or nasty. But because she just doesn't have a clue what to do in most situations as she's got no experience of what a mother is, as she never had one.

And this is pretty much the norm. The last couple generations have no idea what a parent is, or how to be a parents. And that's fucking sad
sumfin smart
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Different attitudes? Yes, here it seems kids are often viewed as disposable property. There's the instilled sense of obligation/gratitude owed to parents for having delivered and raised their offspring. Then you've got the demands of poverty and ignorance.

Toxic combination.

Having said all that, clearly there are exceptions, and god blessem.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:51 pm I don't see much connection there. The majority citizens weren't even born then, although it would have had an effect on their parents' or grandparents' education. Violence and ignorance were around long before and after Pol Pot's brief reign (BTW less than four years).
In this case it's likely to be an unmarried teenager/ woman who has hidden their pregnancy due to taboos in traditional society. These taboos have existed through all regimes and date back many centuries.
Completely agree, from today's UK news...
Paris Mayo guilty of murdering son hours after birth
A 19-year-old has been found guilty of murdering her baby son hours after she delivered him at home alone.

Paris Mayo was 15 when she gave birth to the boy, Stanley, in 2019, after concealing her pregnancy from her family.

Mayo had claimed she did not know she was pregnant and said Stanley was not moving and did not make a noise when he was born.

However medical experts said it was likely he had been alive for a couple of hours, had taken breaths and may also have cried.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-her ... r-65999897
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic