Body of New-Born Baby Found in Bag by Bridge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Body of New-Born Baby Found in Bag by Bridge

Post by Username Taken »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:51 pm
I would say that a lot of these problems are still spinoffs from the bad old days of the KR. Four years and ten months of being told what to do and when to do it everyday probably hasn't helped.
I don't see much connection there. The majority citizens weren't even born then, although it would have had an effect on their parents' or grandparents' education.
That is what I meant by 'spinoff', i.e. the result of something. The effect on those from back then being passed on to subsequent generations who have no idea about how to be a parent.

But I actually said quite a bit before that last line that you quoted.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

You forgot to mention sex tourism as a contributor.

Here's a possible scenario:

Woman works in a bar, takes a customer home. He either negotiates to not wear protection or takes it off without her knowledge.
A baby was not in the plan, what does she do with it? It would be too shameful to go back to the province since they think she is working as a waitress in a very nice restaurant.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:16 pm It seems more than common for new mothers to drop their child off with the grandparents to get out of town to find work.
It's not just for work. In the small street I live there are five families with children. Out of those five, two families have 'dropped' one child with their grandparents, and two have a kid living in which is not theirs, including me. One family is an extended family with grandparents, two kids and their wife and husband & grandchildren living together.

One family dropped one kid because they only want their daughter around, they sent their son off to grandma 300 km down the road.
The other family have left their eldest daughter with the grandparents while leaving for husband's house with just the youngest daughter (living 120 km away).

Those two children are rejected, at least feel rejected, by their parents. Not much good will come from that generally.

But it's a double sided sword.
One family has a kid from a drug addicted mum living in and I have a high school student studying in grade ten living in. As easy as some will send their kid off others will accept them to live with them for a while.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:41 am
Those two children are rejected, at least feel rejected, by their parents. Not much good will come from that generally.

One family has a kid from a drug addicted mum living in and I have a high school student studying in grade ten living in. As easy as some will send their kid off others will accept them to live with them for a while.
The adoptive ‘uncle/aunt/guardian’ of a disparate horde does seem quite an easy adjustment, though how well done is another matter.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:18 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:41 am

The adoptive ‘uncle/aunt/guardian’ of a disparate horde does seem quite an easy adjustment, though how well done is another matter.
Yes, I think that's true if all the kids move at the same time. But if one has to move and the other remains with the parents it's a different matter for the kid's development I'm afraid.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Yes, there's plenty of heartless, inconsiderate selfish drug addicts not caring about their own. Having a boy will probably result in another drug addict, and who knows, he might try to chop your head off or burn your house down later in life. At least a girl can work I'm a bar until she gets hiv
sumfin smart
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:57 am Yes, there's plenty of heartless, inconsiderate selfish sex tourists not caring about their own.
Fixed that for you
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I have heard that Anlong Kong village, Samrong Tong District, Kampong Speu Province is a major center for sex tourism. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:01 am I have heard that Anlong Kong village, Samrong Tong District, Kampong Speu Province is a major center for sex tourism. :?
And I've herd that it's very easy to travel around Cambodia to dispose of babies in provinces.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I doubt this has anything to do with sex tourism.

Anyone who is seeing sex tourists is obviously hanging out in the wrong places.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic