New tuk tuk scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

New tuk tuk scam

Post by rozzieoz »

Last night I was waiting for my Passapp tuk tuk. He called to confirm the location, kept me waiting for a few minutes while he drove around and then suddenly the app told me I was on the ride.
And sure enough, the trip was charged to my ABA. While I was still waiting.

It happened to a friend of mine as well, and according to other people who responded to my post on a Facebook group, this has been happening a fair bit lately.

I recommend you not use the automatic payment function for tuk tuk apps.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: New tuk tuk scam

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Happened to me first time last year

Only happened once & I got my money back within 12 hours from Passapp & left the driver a one star review

It's no reason to stop using the automatic payment - just make sure one inputs a destination otherwise a driver could potentially run the meter for hours and hundreds of kilometers lol
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It also happens slightly more innocently when lazy TukTuk drivers don’t confirm the correct passenger, and Lazy passengers don’t confirm the correct TukTuk.
I’ve only had one occasion when we were in the wrong TukTuk, which also happens because quite frequently the TukTuk in use is not the one registered with the app.
Not at all helped by TukTuks that in the main are mostly identified by their licence plate for grab and Tada. Passapp will not have our business again.

But I agree, I don’t authorise automatic payment.

The app system is not too bad, but really they should have ironed out all the kinks by now. A job about 75% done, so stop caring if it’s making money?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Nowadays I always use electronic payments for both Grab (using an ABA card while in Cambodia) and PassApp (using ABA Pay). I just can't stand having to manage small change.

No problems whatsoever in Cambodia yet as of my latest Grab ride to Phnom Penh Airport yesterday on my way out, but on the rare occasion that I've had an issue with Grab in Thailand, they've always taken my side and given me a full refund without any hassle. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't do the same for me in Cambodia. They have an interest in squeezing out the bad apples among their drivers as it hurts their reputation.

My main issue with PassApp (and why I use Grab wherever possible) is that I often have to cancel rides because the driver just doesn't bother to show up or goes in the opposite direction. I've never had that problem with Grab, anywhere.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The Grab and TADA also work for PasApp, generally. So it’s the same good ones, or the same bad ones, unless the company has stopped using them. PassApp seems to have more problem ones. We’re talking small percentages, but one aggressive meth-head will still fuck it up 20 average hardworking tuktuk drivers.
Grab and TADA generally have never really been a problem dealing with erroneous charges, but the staff on the end of the phone for PassApp have the same aggressive screw-you attitude that the problem drivers have. Same batch of meth in the office?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:46 am The Grab and TADA also work for PasApp, generally. So it’s the same good ones, or the same bad ones, unless the company has stopped using them. PassApp seems to have more problem ones. We’re talking small percentages, but one aggressive meth-head will still fuck it up 20 average hardworking tuktuk drivers.
Grab and TADA generally have never really been a problem dealing with erroneous charges, but the staff on the end of the phone for PassApp have the same aggressive screw-you attitude that the problem drivers have. Same batch of meth in the office?
In general, I will immediately cancel a driver if their rating is less than 4.2, before they can move, let alone arrive - because it seems like ALL passapp drivers under 4.2 rating are indeed on Ice, smack or booze or maybe all three and drive like fucking douchebags

Also, since my one incident with a driver doing a phantom ride it seems as if auto payment rides on passapp are only picked up/available to drivers with 4.5 or higher ratings - because in my sample size of me over a hundred rides since I never have been picked up by one with a lower rating than that

There's no grab or tada in Kampot afaik yet
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:52 am
Freightdog wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:46 am The Grab and TADA also work for PasApp, generally. So it’s the same good ones, or the same bad ones, unless the company has stopped using them. PassApp seems to have more problem ones. We’re talking small percentages, but one aggressive meth-head will still fuck it up 20 average hardworking tuktuk drivers.
In general, I will immediately cancel a driver if their rating is less than 4.2, before they can move, let alone arrive - because it seems like ALL passapp drivers under 4.2 rating are indeed on Ice, smack or booze or maybe all three and drive like fucking douchebags

Also, since my one incident with a driver doing a phantom ride it seems as if auto payment rides on passapp are only picked up/available to drivers with 4.5 or higher ratings - because in my sample size of me over a hundred rides since I never have been picked up by one with a lower rating than that

There's no grab or tada in Kampot afaik yet
Not a bad strategy to cancel a ride if the driver is subpar.

Yeah Kampot is one of those places where I've had to use PassApp.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:56 am It also happens slightly more innocently when lazy TukTuk drivers don’t confirm the correct passenger, and Lazy passengers don’t confirm the correct TukTuk.
I’ve only had one occasion when we were in the wrong TukTuk, which also happens because quite frequently the TukTuk in use is not the one registered with the app.
Not at all helped by TukTuks that in the main are mostly identified by their licence plate for grab and Tada. Passapp will not have our business again.

But I agree, I don’t authorise automatic payment.

The app system is not too bad, but really they should have ironed out all the kinks by now. A job about 75% done, so stop caring if it’s making money?
Yep - easy to do at 2 in the morning 3 parts full! had that happen to me and got a refund. I mean it its pretty obvious when the driver has your destination known before he pulls up (as he accepted the job) then gets instructed to go somewhere different by the 'invading' customer. They do refunds pretty quick though. The only benefit in auto payment is you literrealy don't need to have any dialogue with the driver at all, which in most instances is a bonus.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

In the US there has basically been a scam that if you don't pre-tip enough for deliveries no one will deliver your food unless they are desperate and often gets you cold food. I think they need to get rid of pre-payment and only authorize payments upon completion of services.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

If the driver is on booze at 2 am, i check if he is in worse condition then I am, if so i prefere to walk home. But sometimes, the day after, i dont remember he was worse or not, and that i did walk or not !! ??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic