New tuk tuk scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: New tuk tuk scam

Post by rozzieoz »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:48 am Never understand why people use app when there are tuks around.
I try to keep myself as safe as possible.
I don't like carrying cash, as it makes me a target. Every time I have to take my purse out to pay someone, I am a target.
I prefer cashless wherever possible.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:48 am Never understand why people use app when there are tuks around.

Online payments are naive. Easily hacked and you're subscribed to some useless website, with no chance of a refund.

Technology advancements are making it easier for cyber-crime.
Well, I'd rather just tell the driver to look at his phone and see where to drop me off instead of giving directions and still be semi busy for the entire ride.

If you're not in the mood for haggling it also saves you a headache. Because believe it or not, most of those friendly looking drivers will try and screw you over with the price if you are barang and don't use an app.

And btw, it's not even that easy anymore to get a ride on the road since 99% of the empty tuktuks are actually already on their way to pick somebody up who did use an app.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Yeah no one's a target while they're waving their phone around around at 3am.

It's not a scam, the guy got shouted down by a customer that wanted to pay him cash, more than the pre payed bill.

Bit of a shit scam if you get the money back in 12 hours. With the potential to loose a job.
sumfin smart
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:58 am Yeah no one's a target while they're waving their phone around around at 3am.
I never wave my phone around at 3am, I'm rarely out past midnight these days.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Had the same happen a few times too.

The helpline with passapp is by far the worst out of that, grab and tada. Have had a few issues on all of the apps over the years, but normally they are easily fixed within the hour. Passapp I gave up trying to get the refund and now only have for areas that others don't work

The other issue with the driver picking up someone else (or doing the pickup scam) is you cannot cancel or book another ride until it's over. I had one on tada where the driver refused to take me but wouldn't cancel and drove off, meaning I had to use grab
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Online payments are naive. Easily hacked and you're subscribed to some useless website, with no chance of a refund.

I don't miss the days when "tuks around" at Aeon Mall asked me for $5 to take me to Riverside and I had to haggle them down to something like $3. Hated it. Besides the fixed and reasonable price when using an app, it also ensures a certain level of accountability, as the company knows who your driver is.

I've never lost any money online. And I've made countless online payments in various forms across four continents since the 1990s. They're just a lot more convenient nowadays. What you wrote about that really sounds like luddite crap to me.

On the one occasion that I had my actual wallet stolen from me, I didn't blame cash for it - I blamed myself for being careless in the situation it happened. People who have money stolen from them online should have the same awareness - it's usually because THEY got fooled, not because of a technical flaw.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't use it. You get a driver to come to your location and take you to a specific destination for a given price. You don't need to go and find a driver, negotiate a fare or give directions. I always pay them cash so there's not much cyber - crime happening 😂
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I used to hate having to haggle with Tuk-tuk drivers, one of the reasons I always walked everywhere. I'd rather walk 5k than having to haggle, have the Tuk-tuk take me on a city tour, and then listen to some bullshit story once I arrive.

Passapp/Grab/whatever were a Godsend. I do have my Passap account connected to my ABA account, never had a problem yet.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

I would never let a passap type bunch have my bank card..not having any cash on you sounds much more dangerous..
In SR..passap has the wrong location in it's system for Angkor Market national 6...takes you several blocks away...One time I got in an argument with the driver..he said he was taking me to where his phone told him...he slowed down..I jumped out..cancelled him.. happened again a driver was so close and he abruptly took a left... happened a few days ago ..he turned the wrong way and headed in the wrong direction with the store in sight...
This penchant for aba seems hackable..
I had a guy in PP on Wednesday say he arrived...I saw him drive past...I walked to a guy asleep...told him Khmer where to drop me off...I showed him on his phone... never out late at my age...be alert...had drunks drive me miles from my place before I could snap them out of their stupor...been wasted and drivers got me home safe...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

JReb wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:59 am I would never let a passap type bunch have my bank card.
That's not how it works with PassApp. You can link it to your ABA app, there's no card involved. With Grab, on the other hand, you give them your card details. In my case, I'm using one of ABA Bank's virtual debit cards for Grab, so I can set a low limit of my choosing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic