Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:12 am
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:15 am Thanks, just what I wanted to hear! His BC has been sent back to correct everything, I'm hoping to get the application done for his UK passport very soon.

Ive been told this can be a lengthy process.. I'm guessing a Khmer passport is useless except for when we're returning?

Any ideas if health reasons might fast track the application? Dropping me in winter would do me no good. I can't even do fans these days
For the UK it can be difficult. They might demand a DNA test, it's happened to friends.
That's what I had heard. It can only help..
Someone from the embassy called a few weeks ago, I asked him if it would be a good idea for a DNA test, he said no, and there's nowhere to do it here anyway.
Totally useless conversation, I made my excuses shortly after knowing he knew next to nothing
sumfin smart
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Post by Spigzy »

I have custody of my son & had no issue taking him out of country. Interestingly I was vaguely challenged in Madrid on the return trip, but it was very casual & just a "is this your son?" question. I replied he was of course - passport surname matches - but I also did have a translated copy of my court order ready to rock. But with a cheeky "Yes this is my daddy!" from about 1 metre below me, and it was all smiles & off we went, no docs needed.

That's the only time in about 20-30 trips overseas for him that it was even mentioned.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:15 am I'm guessing a Khmer passport is useless except for when we're returning?
Cambodian passport will be no good for travelling to the UK as the holder will require a Visa for the UK. However, having a Cambodian passport saves all the fluffing around with Exit Visas & K-type Visas. Some people for whatever reason don't agree with me that if a child is entitled to a Cambodian passport then you should get one, but I am an advocate of kids having both.

- At the airlines check-in show both passports, the Cambodian passport shoes that the holder doesn't require a Visa to leave Cambodia, the UK passport shows that the holder doesn't require a Visa for the UK. Cambodian passport holders will also get the airport tax refunded.
- at Cambodian passport control, upon exit & entry, only need to present the Cambodian passport
- at UK passport control, upon entry & exit, only need to present the UK passport
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:38 pm
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:15 am I'm guessing a Khmer passport is useless except for when we're returning?
Cambodian passport will be no good for travelling to the UK as the holder will require a Visa for the UK. However, having a Cambodian passport saves all the fluffing around with Exit Visas & K-type Visas. Some people for whatever reason don't agree with me that if a child is entitled to a Cambodian passport then you should get one, but I am an advocate of kids having both.

- At the airlines check-in show both passports, the Cambodian passport shoes that the holder doesn't require a Visa to leave Cambodia, the UK passport shows that the holder doesn't require a Visa for the UK. Cambodian passport holders will also get the airport tax refunded.
- at Cambodian passport control, upon exit & entry, only need to present the Cambodian passport
- at UK passport control, upon entry & exit, only need to present the UK passport
I agree. Sounds like sound advice. Someone was trying to tell me to leave it until we return, but I know that's just asking for problems. Anyone who is entitled to dual nationality should take it while they can.

How much is an exit/k type visa? The passport itself is cheap enough.

My son is 3 years old, do you think going back on a UK passport, there's a chance they'd try to backdate him for overstay?!

Would not suprise me
sumfin smart
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:58 pm

My son is 3 years old, do you think going back on a UK passport, there's a chance they'd try to backdate him for overstay?!

Would not suprise me
Why? If his mum is Khmer he is Khmer, Khmer can not overstay.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:58 pm How much is an exit/k type visa? The passport itself is cheap enough.

Would not suprise me
Exit Visa $30, K-type Visa free.

He won't be charged overstay as he is a Cambodian Citizen and has the right to live in Cambodia without a Visa, which you will prove to the DoI Visa Office if you apply for an Exit Visa ...if you're lucky they'll just issue him a K-type Visa rather than an Exit Visa....But, If you get him a Cambodian passport then no need to bother with any of this shit.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Ok thanks
I'm full of stupid questions, never know which to answer myself.

Will definitely be leaving on a Khmer passport tho
sumfin smart
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:59 pm Ok thanks
I'm full of stupid questions, never know which to answer myself.

Will definitely be leaving on a Khmer passport tho
Avoid the Aeon 2 passport office if you can. They tend to ask for ridiculous extra documents or do$h.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:38 pm Cambodian passport holders will also get part of the airport tax refunded.
Ftfy
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If you are going to apply for a Khmer passport, just make sure that all of the relevant information and documents are checked and double checked before you submit them- the smallest error can easily invalidate the effort, and even if the cockup is theirs, you’ll still pay.

As for a UK passport, get a decent big book for the wait. It took us just a few days shy of 10months to get a child’s first time passport. It’s not necessarily indicative of the norm, but certainly indicative of the utterly arrogant nature or equally lacklustre work ethic of HMPO staff.
There’s a recent thread on the subject with several different accounts of experiences.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic