Titanic tourist sub goes missing

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing

Post by Freightdog »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:21 pm ... I don't think these subs reach much depth but operate just below the surface between Columbia and Mexico or the States.
More a navigation hazard than a sub, and a lot have ended up just that. There’s some interesting tales of failure in these, with occupants being overcome by their own product.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Long read.
The Titan Submersible Was “an Accident Waiting to Happen”
Interviews and e-mails with expedition leaders and employees reveal how OceanGate ignored desperate warnings from inside and outside the company. “It’s a lemon".
1 July 2023
By Ben Taub
The primary task of a submersible is to not implode. The second is to reach the surface, even if the pilot is unconscious, with oxygen to spare. The third is for the occupants to be able to open the hatch once they surface. The fourth is for the submersible to be easy to find, through redundant tracking and communications systems, in case rescue is required. Only the fifth task is what is ordinarily thought of as the primary one: to transport people into the dark, hostile deep.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/a-report ... -to-happen
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

A highly complacent attitude towards safety and reliability, possibly based on the assumption that everything is so safe and reliable these days (generally, true). However, failing to grasp that the safe and reliable stuff happens because of constant attention and review… not complacency.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

That's a really well written article. My question is where did their WiFi come from to use the game controller at those depths? They're also now saying that they had dropped weights right beforehand. The only way they would know that is if someone in the sub was able to text that info after the fact up to the support vessel. I don't think they'd have enough time to send a text after they knew they were in trouble. I guess it'll all come out in the coming months.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
US Coast Guard recovers remaining parts from imploded Titan submersible
Associated Press
Tue 10 Oct 2023 23.08
The US Coast Guard has recovered remaining debris from a submersible that imploded on its way to explore the wreck of the Titanic, killing all five onboard, deep beneath the Atlantic Ocean’s surface, officials said Tuesday.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ning-parts
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic