Titanic tourist sub goes missing

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing

Post by scott61 »

You only have 30 milliseconds to live. How would you live it?
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

The banging at 30 minute intervals was very mysterious.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Yobbo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:05 am The banging at 30 minute intervals was very mysterious.
Seems like it wasn't them, so possibly loose debris moving in the current and banging on something else... but yeah, it seems weird that it happened every 30 minutes.

I just saw this... the US Navy went back and checked their readings after the sub was reported missing, their equipment may have picked up the implosion on Sunday, which would at least mean they weren't sitting on the ocean floor without power all this time before the hull finally imploded.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

That sucks, terrible ending. I hope they find out exactly what caused this whole thing.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:05 am I hope they find out exactly what caused this whole thing.
You'll probably find it was a case of having too much money.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:05 am That sucks, terrible ending. I hope they find out exactly what caused this whole thing.
As Captain McLaren said in The Times article (previous page of this thread):

Titan’s hull is “untested and uncertified technology . . . you have a titanium dome at either end and carbon fibre in between and they have a different molecular structure, different expansion and response to manoeuvring in depth or hot or cold. Once you get down there and make rapid cycles in the conditions, who knows where that’s going to go,” he said.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:05 am That sucks, terrible ending. I hope they find out exactly what caused this whole thing.
Yep, sucks for the passengers but at least it would have been a nearly instant death.

I doubt they'll be able to recover enough of the wreck (or will bother trying given how hard it would be) to find out exactly what caused it, but there were red flags raised about its safety and they were ignored, the director of marine operations even says he was fired when he raised his concerns. The CEO/sub designer didn't believe he should be hampered by regulations.

I reckon what will come out of all this are some educated guesses as to where the failure was, and more regulations in the industry.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:21 am
General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:05 am I hope they find out exactly what caused this whole thing.
You'll probably find it was a case of having too much money.
And not enough brains. My sympathy is muted.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:42 am
Yep, sucks for the passengers but at least it would have been a nearly instant death.

I doubt they'll be able to recover enough of the wreck (or will bother trying given how hard it would be) to find out exactly what caused it, but there were red flags raised about its safety and they were ignored, the director of marine operations even says he was fired when he raised his concerns. The CEO/sub designer didn't believe he should be hampered by regulations.

I reckon what will come out of all this are some educated guesses as to where the failure was, and more regulations in the industry.
"more regulations in the industry" :) funny to consider that when you consider the other thread talking about 'crumple zones' in Tuk Tuks. Irony here is that they will probably enforce regulations for something that will carry 5 or so people to the bottom of the ocean for nothing more than fun, yet tuk tuks, well......
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:48 am
Random Dude wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:42 am

"more regulations in the industry" :) funny to consider that when you consider the other thread talking about 'crumple zones' in Tuk Tuks. Irony here is that they will probably enforce regulations for something that will carry 5 or so people to the bottom of the ocean for nothing more than fun, yet tuk tuks, well......
Yeah, true.
To be fair though, we're talking about different countries, with different legal systems and different levels of enforcement. Whoever's in charge of regulating how a submarine operates probably has no say in how a Tuk Tuk in Asia operates.

As much as I hate the often over the top regulations you find everywhere in Western countries, I do see the need for them - in fact, we demand them. Most people want to be assured the plane they're getting on has rigorous safety standards that are enforced, the food and medicine they buy meet certain standards, the electrician who wires up your house knows what he's doing, the guy cooking your food knows to wash his hands etc... it's reassuring I suppose, even if the beauracratic wankers in charge take them to stupid extremes.

And yet whenever I've lived abroad, where regulations are often either ignored or nonexistent I've never felt freer and more alive, you just have to accept that the building you live in probably has dodgy wiring and you'll get food poisoning occasionally if you eat out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic