Skin cancer lesions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Skin cancer lesions

Post by DavidFieldman »

Hello
Since arriving in Phnom Penh seven weeks ago and spending too much time walking in the sun, I have redeveloped skin cancer lesions on my forehead. Can anyone recommend a local dermatologist skilled in treating this?
Many thanks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Skin cancer lesions

Post by phuketrichard »

DavidFieldman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:12 pm Hello
Since arriving in Phnom Penh seven weeks ago and spending too much time walking in the sun, I have redeveloped skin cancer lesions on my forehead. Can anyone recommend a local dermatologist skilled in treating this?
Many thanks.
good luck with that<
i had one removed about 6 years ago here in Phuket, local and they cut it out, wanted to remove skin from behind my ear an graft it, but i chose to let it heal naturally>
all went fine an no scar>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I think there's a Dermatologist on either street 110 or 108. I'm sure someone will have the address to share with you soon.

In the meantime:

Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Excellent service:
• Mey Sithach MD, PhD 0 1294-7458 ( direct)
• 012 835 520
• Dermatologists & Venerologist Board certification
from University Munster, Germany For: skin cancer
check up, skin operation general dermatology
• Women health consultation
Phnom Penh
No. 8Eo, Ung Pokun (St. 109), 12252 Phnom Penh
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by DavidFieldman »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:36 pm I think there's a Dermatologist on either street 110 or 108. I'm sure someone will have the address to share with you soon.

In the meantime:

Thank you.
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by DavidFieldman »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:20 pm
DavidFieldman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:12 pm Hello
Many thanks.
good luck with that<
i had one removed about 6 years ago here in Phuket, local and they cut it out, wanted to remove skin from behind my ear an graft it, but i chose to let it heal naturally>
all went fine an no scar>>
Many thanks.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I fly once a year to Bangkok to get a checkup on melanoma and other skin related problems. So far thankfully a waste of money
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Healthcare in Cambodia is a very eye-opening and difficult issue for me to get my head around.

Firstly, I always have strong doubts as to whether the person i'm seeing is an actual doctor or not. I don't care how many certificates he/she has on their wall. We all know how easy it is to get "qualifications" in Cambodia.

I'm one of the lucky ones who come from a country with 'free' healthcare -although, we all know nothing is truly 'free'. It just means we pay a lot more tax in order to pay for it. (In the UK, it's not called tax, it's 'National Insurance', which is in addition to normal tax. It is designed to pay for your healthcare, welfare and your pension)

The point is that, it is impossible in the UK for anyone to profit from your medical condition. Doctors, surgeons and the like are paid the same salary regardless of their patients medical conditions. Prescriptions are a set price - When I lived there, I think it was about 8 GBP per prescription (about $10) no matter what the medication is, or how many different types of medication are on one prescription. If you're unemployed, retired, a student or under 18, it is free.

So, there is no financial incentive for the doctor to 'invent' medical conditions you don't have, or try to sell you medications you don't need. The financial aspect of your medical conditions is totally, 100% removed. This gives people faith that they are being treated purely on their medical conditions and not because someone, somewhere is profiting from it.

So I naturally question every doctor in Cambodia. First, are you a 'real' doctor? Do you really know what you're talking about? Secondly, is what you're telling me the truth? Or are you somehow trying to make a quick buck out of me? Are you prescribing me medication that I actually need, or because the profit margin on those drugs are pretty good?

People tell me that if that's how I feel, just see foreign doctors, not Khmer ones, but the entire industry seems very under-regulated to me, whether you're seeing a foreign or Khmer doctor. A foreign doctor can just as easily take advantage of me as a Khmer doctor.

The last time I saw a doctor was because my boyfriend was concerned at the number of moles I have on my back, and advised me to go and get them checked out. He knows I'm useless at dealing with this sort of thing so he found a dermatologist and booked an appointment for me. It turned out to be a Khmer dermatologist. He must have taken less than 20 seconds to tell me that all my moles were normal and natural and I had nothing to worry about, - all done using a normal visual check, no professional equipment, before charging me $20 for the 20 seconds of work that he did. $1 per second? Nice work if you can get it.

Healthcare for me in Cambodia is largely a fingers crossed type of experience.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:29 am Healthcare for me in Cambodia is largely a fingers crossed type of experience.
But yeah, good luck with the skin lesions pal! :Yahoo!:

:shock:
sumfin smart
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

All people I know who got skin cancer, quite a few, got one thing in common. They never or barely used any sunscreen/sunblock but instead used to love to work on their tan.

Even though it might be a bit late now, you can actually find some decent (western) brand upf 50 here in Cambodia for a very reasonable price if you search online.

And yes, I'm pretty confident they're the real deal since I got a sensitive skin myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic