How many hours a day would Cambodians sleep if they could?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Inspirada
Tourist

How many hours a day would Cambodians sleep if they could?

Post by Inspirada »

If you gave the average healthy 20 - 40 year old Cambodian person so much money that he or she never had to work, how many hours a day would he or she then spend sleeping?

It's like 14 hours a day, right? Something like that.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How many hours a day would Cambodians sleep if they could?

Post by Yobbo »

Suspended animation is the temporary (short- or long-term) slowing or stopping of biological function so that physiological capabilities are preserved. It may be either hypometabolic or ametabolic in nature. It may be induced by either endogenous, natural or artificial biological, chemical or physical means.

Suspended animation - Wikipedia
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I think you’re looking at it through the wrong way.

If you live in a country with massive corruption, repression of free speech, and with no way of moving forward in life….

What else is left to do but put on a smile, put up a hammock, sleep, and drink beer with others in a similar situation?

Just my opinions, of course.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

If you live in a country with massive corruption, repression of free speech, and with no way of moving forward in life….

I don't know about that. I've known some Khmer and Viets over here through the years who had pretty close to nothing when I met them years ago and now have done VERY well for themselves through entrepreneurship. It can be done.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You need to remember that NKOTB has never lived in Cambodia and most of his opinions come second hand off Facebook via his wife.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Try digesting multiple bowls of white rice 3 times a day.
sumfin smart
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

With plenty of money, and not having to work, there would possibly be those that slept their lives away.

There would also be those that killed the boredom in other ways, and slept every third day. These are the people that say "only a few more sleeps before Christmas", in September, and spend their money on teeth.

There would also be those that, while not having to work, chose to work, to ensure their wealth continued through the generations, a sense of society, and many other reasons of their own.

The reason for the above assumptions, is that they are humans, not unlike ourselves.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Unsure if related but I know when was in between jobs for awhile --- i slept and enjoyed doing nothing and was lazy for a bit.. then got bored and then was happy to return to work... then realized ugh. i need some time off etc
vicious cycle lol

i am obviously condensing the different stages i went thru but assume its universal. If i was living in Cambodia or another foreign country and had the same oppty w/ money I would like to think I would explore the country a bit more. On other hand, we probably get into a routine at some point
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Inspirada wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:49 pm If you gave the average healthy 20 - 40 year old Cambodian person so much money that he or she never had to work, how many hours a day would he or she then spend sleeping?

It's like 14 hours a day, right? Something like that.
Idk, but "most Cambodians" that I know get up earlier than I do, and they are also working one or two jobs as well as taking care of family. Cambodians might nap during the daytime between 12-3, but so do the Spanish, Italians etc. Myself, I also have a "siesta" in the afternoon after "lun" because it's too damn hot to do otherwise, and if you don't do the same then more fool you, but please don't shame people for adapting to their climate. :whistler:
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:06 pm I think you’re looking at it through the wrong way.

No way of moving forward? Rubbish. Millions of Khmers have improved their lot through hard work and taking advantage of opportunities. The employment rate is very good, and there are way fewer hoops to jump through id you want to set up a small business than the US or UK

Compare setting up a small restaurant or business in the US or UK with here, no comparison
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic