Vietnam to restrict smoking indoors from Aug. 1

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Vietnam to restrict smoking indoors from Aug. 1

Post by ExPenhMan »

There have just been recent stories in the VN press that Vietnam has one of the world's heaviest smoking populations, although it's been declining slowly. So it wouldn't be long before the sudden interest in smoking would turn into local action. Came much faster than I expected.

At least they kept the airport smoking areas, as puny and awful as they are. Not to forget the Chinese and Koreans who toss still burning cigs into the ash tray and walk out. Dolts!

I always thought being able to smoke in restaurants in VN went too far.

The only news source I can find is a huge, long graphic at Vietnam Plus, but I cannot figure out how to make it appear in this space. Link to it below.

Anyway, some details from the graphic:
PLACES WHERE SMOKING IS COMPLETELY PROHIBITED INDOORS:
Public places:
Food service establishments,
Entertainment facilities,
Railway stations, wharves, bus stations,
Religious facilities and places of worship,
Convention centres,
Commercial centres, markets
Theatres, cultural houses, cinemas, circuses, clubs, sports halls, stadiums,
Community houses and common areas of apartment buildings
Other public places
PROHIBITED INDOORS BUT MAY HAVE SEPARATE AREAS
FOR SMOKERS:

Isolation areas
at airports

Hotels, motels, guest houses, resorts, other tourist accommodation

Bars, karaoke parlours,
dance halls

Public transport including ships, trains

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/smoking-ban-i ... 254678.vnp
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnam to restrict smoking indoors from Aug. 1

Post by highrider »

Unbelievable! Vietnam is only like 20 years behind Thailand in this respect! Can't believe it wasn't illegal to smoke indoors in Vietnam years ago. It's like Vietnam is stuck in the 80s or 90s. That being said, smoking hasn't been allowed at Vietnamese malls, supermarkets, chain restaurants and chain coffee shops (except outdoors) for years.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Is smoking legal in bars and restaurants in Cambodia? I heard somewhere that its not, but every cafe, bar and restaurant allows smoking so maybe I misheard.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:11 pm Is smoking legal in bars and restaurants in Cambodia? I heard somewhere that its not, but every cafe, bar and restaurant allows smoking so maybe I misheard.
Smoking indoors in restaurants, bars, hotels, etc was made illegal in Cambodia several years ago...however, enforcement of said law is pretty much non-existent. Some establishments follow the law and enforce the non-smoking policy, but many still allow it.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

highrider wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:37 pm Unbelievable! Vietnam is only like 20 years behind Thailand in this respect! Can't believe it wasn't illegal to smoke indoors in Vietnam years ago. It's like Vietnam is stuck in the 80s or 90s. That being said, smoking hasn't been allowed at Vietnamese malls, supermarkets, chain restaurants and chain coffee shops (except outdoors) for years.
You seem pretty excited. Well, many Vietnamese are just as excited, but about smoking wherever they want, whenever they want. I'm actually surprised this is coming.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic