Being called Stingy? A rant.

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Being called Stingy? A rant.

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus brought 3K with her on an emergency return to Cambodia 2 weeks ago. Paid to fix the house, paid for their food, paid for fixing their junker car. Now down to the last $100. All the while riding her niece’s bicycle around the village.

Before that, she paid for father’s entire hospital care, and the oxygen tanks he’s using at home. But other family members announcing on Facebook that they were by father’s side all the time (while they were out at clubs or womanizing) and that they paid for it all. No monk blessing ceremony because father’s wife ran away with all the ceremony money and hasn’t been seen since then.

I’ve made so many Swift transfers to missus’ ABA account in a short time that I’m sure the government thinks I’m laundering.

Yet older sister and rest of the family called missus ‘stingy’ on multiple occasions for not paying tor cases of beer and sugar cane. She doesn’t drink.

When is there enough money to satisfy Khmer?

*sigh*
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Being called Stingy? A rant.

Post by Freightdog »

She should take a stand, and tell them what’s what. But I’m guessing as she’s a younger sibling, she’s unwilling to stand up against the family. There’s honest ones, and freeloaders in equal measure, and the freeloaders eventually make themselves known- they can’t help it, and as either of you are only there as visitors, now, you’ve got to contend with that.
Don’t bother. You’ll be expending disproportionate effort. You’ll get no gratitude, and if you let them dictate terms, you’ll get no respect from them either. But you don’t need either and neither does the other half, so just make it clear that the tap is being turned off, and see if the other half can understand or at least accept your stance.

Good luck
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

Been through exact same thing . Send missus what money she needs for this trip . Be generous so she can end her trip in cambodia on a high note . After she's home lay down the NEW rules if she goes again, and stick to it . You might be surprised. if you don't give her much to give from here on out , eventually takes the pressure off her (you rich bastard)!!! And you will become the villain . Hopefully opens her eyes to who the bad ones are too
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

I'll m always in awe of how you could find such a diamond in the rough in a family of degenerates. Please tell us your secret :bow:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Never forget that you married the entire family.

This from 4 years ago:
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 am Due to changing plans, I was forced to scramble for expensive tickets to Cambodia next month. Her family told me not to bother to visit missus and instead send the money (I would have spent) to them (not missus).

Why? Because one brother needs a new car, one brother in law needs a new car, one brother needs a new moto. Needs = wants. As in wants something shiny and new to impress the young ladies at the drinking place.

Lost in their money equations is that I am married to missus, not them.
After all, didn't you build a purpose built air conditioned room for you and your parents out there at Jed and Granny's for the wedding.
Plus, I'm sure they've all seen the build photos of your new house in TX.
In their eyes, you're loaded. They're just asking for some crumbs.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I guess all your advice is correct.

I’m just surprised at how missus has been treated after she’s married and returned from America.

Before, she was treated as an equal. Anything she contributed was appreciated. Now, nothing is good enough for them.

She brought clothes from the America to wear in Cambodia. Family took them all. Even the bra and pantries. She had to go the Siem Reap to buy more clothes, they want to take them too. Not a word of appreciation.

Yet she is called stingy. Sorry, can’t wrap my head around when she stopped being considered Khmer like them and treated as an equal.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:30 am I guess all your advice is correct.

I’m just surprised at how missus has been treated after she’s married and returned from America.

Before, she was treated as an equal. Anything she contributed was appreciated. Now, nothing is good enough for them.

She brought clothes from the America to wear in Cambodia. Family took them all. Even the bra and pantries. She had to go the Siem Reap to buy more clothes, they want to take them too. Not a word of appreciation.

Yet she is called stingy. Sorry, can’t wrap my head around when she stopped being considered Khmer like them and treated as an equal.
She lives in America, ( where Everybody is Rich) in a fancy new house ( they dont know its ur parents, as you say its yours)
She eats well, has a nice car and she comes back and wont share anything of her good fortune? WTF????
she is NOT an equal any more \

Thats SE Asia (it not Cambodia specific)
When my partners mother died, we only took care of one sister till she hit 18 from when she was 11, the father is a worthless piece of shit
fuck em> Difference is i told her at the beginning that i was not going to be the bank for them, her choice to stay or go,
Yea, i'm a evil, hard bastard, but they all still love me for taking care f their sister ( she has 5 others) \

One thing is, give her baby, an than all the family will accept she has her family to take care an wont put as much pressure on her to take care of them

My partner has her own job and makes good money, does ur 's work or>>>So what she does with it is up to her

FYI:
1; she obviously is a very soft touch ( they took her bran and panties?) and cant stand up to them
2. Its NEVER enough
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Buy her a diary book and get her to write in it everything she spends. At the top of the page each day it must show how much money she has left and only replace the money that she writes in the book.
Run your life as if it is a business,, hopefully a successfull business.
The big difference between big business., eg, banks, shops, car companies, is they keep records of everything. Compare that to people that have no money, not because they don't earn money, but because they don't know what happen to it.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve encountered something not too dissimilar with one of SWMBO’s sisters, whom I’ve nicknamed and I now openly use-

ចោរ ស្រី
Thief-sister. It’s my barang-Khmer, but the meaning is not lost on them.

What’s not going to be apparent right now, I think, is the wedge that these people may try to drive between you.
Now, this is just my assessment, and very subjective, but I’ve experienced elements of this twice in asia. You’ve given your partner a new life, and it seems they’re a bit jealous. So, potentially in their minds, there may only be two things for them to do-

First is to milk the missus and you for as much as they can. The second is to equalise everything, reset the previous status quo.
The first part is pretty easy to understand, but the second part may be a lot harder to comprehend. You are unlikely to give her extended family everything that you give your missus. So the next best thing is for them is to potentially sabotage her relationship with you, and that would put her back in her place.

I honestly think that you need to limit her exposure, but without being over controlling. How long were you expecting her to stay in Cambodia?
You’ve probably also given yourself a harder task if you’ve been a bit ostentatious in the past.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI:
"......I’ve made so many Swift transfers to missus’ ABA account"
STOP using swift an use Wise
https://wise.com/

sent $1,000 2 weeks ago US to Thailand, Total charge $8.71 and great exchange rate
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic