Loud Music

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EmpatheticUnicorn
Tourist
Tuvalu

Loud Music

Post by EmpatheticUnicorn »

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd contribute something and get into a few stupid arguments until the novelty of arguing on an online forum wears off.

Why do Cambodian people play music so loud at parties? In the countryside it's even worse, its quite common to have bass pumping electronic dance music play until 2 or 3 in the morning and then the traditional plinky plonky bell music begins again at 5am. I understand that for certain occasions such as funerals etc. the music is played in order to invite the people of the village to come and mourn and eat rice together. I get that and I understand that I'm living amongst their culture and have to respect it, which I do. I have gone to some of theses "parties" at midnight or so to see what is going on and there is just 3 drunk guys sat around (not speaking of course, can't hear anything) a giant wall of speakers cranked up to 11 and I asked them to turn it down and they looked at each other and were just like (I'm paraphrasing) "Uhh... Yeah I guess so" with a perplexed look in their eyes.

I understand some things are cultural but I'm pretty sure those cultural practices were invented before 800W bluetooth speakers became affordable (to rent or buy). Karaoke is another constant battle, with the massively reverberated squawks of inebriated men butchering Sinn Sisamouth classics. I don't have a problem with music and I don't have a Karaoke (I also like to butcher songs after a few cold ones), but I do have a problem with being unable to sleep for days on end because of the music stopping late and ending early.

Maybe just turn it down from 10 to 7? Maybe just don't point the cone speakers away from the party? Anyone else had this experience?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Loud Music

Post by ressl »

Not sure about your neighbors, but at the places I have lived so far in Cambodia they pack usually up at 22:00, latest 22:30.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There is actually a prakas banning loud music after 22:00 or playing music too loudly. When I had that problem in Siem Reap, some Khmer neighbours and myself went to see the commune chief and it got solved.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I live in the countryside myself, and the music at wedding parties can be deafening. The music generally starts around 6PM. First thing I do when entering these parties is to use the paper napkins on the table to close my ear canals. That makes it bearable. Another tip is to make sure to find a seat with your back facing the speakers.
However, my experience is these parties never last until 2-3 AM. Usually at nine the first ones are pissed, at ten they're wasted, and a eleven everyone is gone and the 'band' and the dancing girls start packing because they have another event the following evening.

The 'pling plong sounds', prayers and semi funny sketches are another story. That's early morning work to announce the event. The horn shaped speakers are generally aligned with the roads so as many people as they can will be reached. In case of a funeral you're f#cked because they will repeat on day three and day seven.

Then there's the karaoke, sound level 10, echo set to max. National pastime number one.

Personally I don't think you will be able to change these habits. If you can't beat them, join them, or get used to it.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

hanno wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:31 pm There is actually a prakas banning loud music after 22:00 or playing music too loudly. When I had that problem in Siem Reap, some Khmer neighbours and myself went to see the commune chief and it got solved.
I didn't know that. Interesting that this seems to be one of the very few things (close to) everyone follows
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Yup.. the loud music is terrible..... Had a month of funeral music that almost drove me batty.. peeps were dripping like flies.

Cant do anything about bc its a cultural thing so embrace and enjoy the quiet time.

As for the karoake stuff most of the time it will go off around 11 unless they drunk... Did contemplate blasting some heavy metal stuff but its best not to poison the well :evil:
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

ressl wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:00 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:31 pm There is actually a prakas banning loud music after 22:00 or playing music too loudly. When I had that problem in Siem Reap, some Khmer neighbours and myself went to see the commune chief and it got solved.
I didn't know that. Interesting that this seems to be one of the very few things (close to) everyone follows
Pub street fucked it for everyone..
Who the hell wants to walk down a street with 3 different songs (all shit), and all at a deafening volume.

I've moved about quite a bit during my stay here. I tend to prefer staying just outside of town, and sometimes you just get unlucky.

What gets to me is the 6am rude boy racer techno...
They've obviously run out of ice and need the pick up before work
sumfin smart
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

One of my finest moments was standing in front of a giant speaker bank as David Gilmore blew my mind.
If the music and culture is too much...move to another country.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

They play it loud because they're deaf.
They're deaf because they play it loud.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"Maybe just turn it down from 10 to 7? Maybe just don't point the cone speakers away from the party? Anyone else had this experience?"

one of the reason i left Kep, Had 3 neighbors ( fishermen) that on their days off ( one a week and each had different days off ) would start their Karaoke at 8 am an continue thru the day with the music getting louder and the singing worse till they passed out drunk in the early evening

I'll take the call to prayer for 2 minutes any day over Karaoke music

as to funerals and weddings FUCK< seems in the village there's one or the other every week and as they last 2-3 days :please:

Have been told they turn speakers OUT so everyone knows how much fun their having.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic