Loud Music

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Loud Music

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As mentioned, there is a noise pollution law, which outside of the main cities is hardly ever enforced unless complaints are made to the authorities.

I've been to a fuckload of provincial weddings over the years, most of them finish up with the loud music fairly early, the ones who want to keep on drinking usually just retire to carry on under someone's house, sometimes with a Bluetooth speaker if they have power...can't say I've ever been to a provincial wedding, birthday, etc party that keeps the music pumping till 2-3 in the morning.

...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em 🍻 😉
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:06 pm "Maybe just turn it down from 10 to 7? Maybe just don't point the cone speakers away from the party? Anyone else had this experience?"

one of the reason i left Kep, Had 3 neighbors ( fishermen) that on their days off ( one a week and each had different days off ) would start their Karaoke at 8 am an continue thru the day with the music getting louder and the singing worse till they passed out drunk in the early evening

I'll take the call to prayer for 2 minutes any day over Karaoke music

as to funerals and weddings FUCK< seems in the village there's one or the other every week and as they last 2-3 days :please:

Have been told they turn speakers OUT so everyone knows how much fun their having.
Cambodia just is a loud country in all ways. Some of it is about getting a "big face" as Richard rightly poimts out.
Unfortunately tech has ramped up the racket (and made it more portable) in many ways - at parties, car horns, aerobics classes, street sellers with loudhailers on a loop. A lot of locals don't like the racket but they don't stress about it.

In many parts of Bangkok you can hear a pin drop, expecially in the mid evening onwards, and drivers don't honk their horns.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:04 pm As mentioned, there is a noise pollution law, which outside of the main cities is hardly ever enforced unless complaints are made to the authorities.
In the province generally there's a table reserved for the authorities to guarantee the laws will be obeyed.

Of course that table pays by being present only, no need for further donations to the happy couple (they might even receive a case of beer or two when leaving). Before the wedding the happy couple paid monetary respect to the local authorities as well. No free lunches in the provinces.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I just assume the music level is to celebrate being still alive, and to scare away the millions of ghosts from the city.

Better deaf than dead.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Unfortunately tech has ramped up the racket
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

JReb wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:41 pm One of my finest moments was standing in front of a giant speaker bank as David Gilmore blew my mind.
If the music and culture is too much...move to another country.
The inevitable "you don't like it, move" comment. Usually posted by starry-eyed newbies. Speaker banks are not culture, and many Cambodians absolutely hate it too. They too have jobs, children that need to sleep, and enjoy a quiet evening.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:09 am
JReb wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:41 pm One of my finest moments was standing in front of a giant speaker bank as David Gilmore blew my mind.
If the music and culture is too much...move to another country.
The inevitable "you don't like it, move" comment. Usually posted by starry-eyed newbies. Speaker banks are not culture, and many Cambodians absolutely hate it too. They too have jobs, children that need to sleep, and enjoy a quiet evening.
I had one very good neighbor who we used to eat with that also hated the noise, I asked him why he doesn't go ask them to turn it down<
"Can't"

Cambodians, in my observance over the years dont give a shit about anyone but themselves and wont intrude in anyone else's space
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The loud music noise issue seems to be an issue across most of SE Asia

People don't seem to care if they disturb their neighbours or anybody else, and everybody else seems to put up with it
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:29 pm The loud music noise issue seems to be an issue across most of SE Asia

People don't seem to care if they disturb their neighbours or anybody else, and everybody else seems to put up with it
I always maintain a good quantity of high quality earplugs & earmuffs in my flat or anywhere I travel.
Boredom is like a shroud
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It irritates the hell out of me sometimes. I’ve also had occasion to explain to idiots who not only wind their output up to the point of distortion, bass boost button on to ramp up the bass, which is already into distortion, and then turn the speakers outwards. But then, just yesterday, one of a couple of new arrived British tourists was walking around with a Bluetooth speaker slung across his chest, pumping out some dross.
I’m guessing the human being is evolving away from ears as hearing instruments.

One side effect is that instead of talking to each other, everyone seems to be shouting.
Sleep quality is very important, and largely misunderstood- I do wonder if it isn’t about time that someone did a comprehensive study of sleep quality vs random acts of socio- and psychopathic behaviour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic