canned salmon??

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

canned salmon??

Post by wolfcreek »

Used to find it in many of the supermarkets in Phnom Penh, but I haven't seen any recently. Anyone else?
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: canned salmon??

Post by schlarry »

I have noticed that the price of fresh salmon has gone up by quite a bit.

Several large canned food operators went bang during Covid. Suggest you research the brand and contact them.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Mostly canned tuna on the s/market shelves but I see plenty of frozen salmon
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

Canned, fresh, smoked and frozen readily available in SR....it helps to know the different kinds of salmon when making up your mind..
One reason I like SR.. shopping is easy...get anything you want..
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

At those prices I think you can simply get fresh salmon at Central Market at a more competitive rate.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

What about at Aeon ground floor level with all the Japanese products? Seems like mackeral is more popular anyhow (cheaper)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Climate change is one reason put forward for the increase in salmon prices globally. The OP is not the only one that I've heard complaining that reasonably-priced salmon has recently become harder to find - fresh, smoked or tinned. Salmon prices have increased about 20-25% in Europe and the US this year.
Rising temperatures are affecting New Zealand waters
Climate change has dramatically impacted the aquaponics industry. Grant Rosewarne, New Zealand King Salmon chief executive, reports that New Zealand farms are responsible for roughly 85% of the global salmon supply, via The Guardian. This summer, he says, New Zealand water temperatures will have risen by a full degree, which is a massive shock to the homeostasis and wellbeing of the salmon population. "I've often said we're a bit like the canary in the coal mine, when it comes to global warming," Rosewarne says, via New Zealand news outlet RNZ. "We've got a cold water species that's very susceptible to half a degree change or one degree change."

According to UC San Diego, a "marine heatwave" is a period of unusually high water temperatures in a given area. Its defining features are duration and intensity and marine heatwaves don't only affect the fish inhabiting these warmer waters. Uncharacteristically high water temperatures can also prevent the food supply these organisms rely on from growing and impact the migration patterns of migratory fish –- like salmon.

What this means for consumers
Not only does the migration of salmon determine the populations of the fish, it also provides a relied-upon food source for eagles and bears living in the areas through which the schools pass. So, any changes in the salmon migration could lead to fallout that affects the food web of an entire ecosystem.

Rosewarne estimates that 42% of fish in the company's farms have died from high water temperatures in 2022, compared to only 17% in 2018. Farms are reportedly losing salmon by thousands of tons. RNZ reports that 1,269 metric tons of dead salmon were hauled by the truckload to landfills between December and February alone. And in the month of February, 632 metric tons of salmon were lost, compared to 90 metric tons in February 2021.

Not even halfway through the year, the New Zealand salmon industry has already seen a net loss of over $55 million. In the wake of this massive loss, New Zealand King Salmon will temporarily close three of its four farms, per The Guardian, with plans to relocate farming operations to cooler waters if given government approval.
Read More: https://www.tastingtable.com/877440/why ... -increase/
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I hate all seafood except tinned Tuna. However, I told my partner the other day that I don't like tinned tuna in Cambodia. He asked me why, and I said it's because it actually does taste like fish.

He thinks I'm weird for some reason.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

Blaming climate change?
How about blaming the fact that salmon is sold all over the world and more people are eating it than ever in history.
Go to Chile..they farm raise it.
I remember when bluefin tuna was available in every sushi bar and some markets...40+ years ago..
Now, a single fish can bring $1,000,000usd at the Tokyo Market.
In Argentina salmon is the #1 sushi/sashimi fish..
You can get Bluefin tuna at the Japanese garden in BA...only.
There are many kinds of salmon..
Farm raised lower quality has made it a mainstay on nearly every menu..a restaurant can rely on the price to be stable.
The price of canned can reflect the type of salmon in the can.
What do you expect when massive populations consume any product?
The crab here in Asia..Kep..is awful compared to so many of other kinds of crab in the west.
Blaming climate change for salmon...what a joke.
In Northeast USA they built dams to generate electricity...this became a death sentence for the local salmon migration. The solution was to remove these old dams and allow the salmon to migrate back to where they were born.
Do you think the dams on the Mekong and other rivers that stop the migration of fish to Siem Reap are caused by climate change? Do you think using small mesh nets stretched across rivers capturing every sized fish is climate change...Do you think using weighted nets that drag along the sea floor off the coast of Kampot that destroy the sea floor is climate change?
Tonle Sap lake is going to be empty...sure as heck is not climate change.
You ever rent a boat in Kep or Koh Rong and have a go at local fishing?
They catch what I would consider bait at best..
Then, they cook them up for your lunch..
I caught monster Mekong Catfish in Chiang Mai 6 years ago..AT A PRIVATE LAKE..catch and release..
Tiny hook using white bread as bait..
They fish migrated down the Mekong to PP...took a right and swam up Tonle Sap to the lake for thousands of years...alas, no more...
Dams..over fishing..greed...not climate change
. I caught salmon in Alaska over 15 years ago..
Fishing license and salmon stamp was needed and the daily limit was 3...this was the silver salmon season... just after the famous King Salmon season.
Perhaps, they should stop blaming climate and put limits on harvests?
Just like any wild game...you shoot them all..they are harder to find...given a chance, game and fish can come back.
I can walk to the best store in SR and buy a whole salmon...rather be on Kenai river fishing...
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic