Newly-Wed Bride Killed in Bag Snatch Attack

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Newly-Wed Bride Killed in Bag Snatch Attack

Post by xandreu »

Probably the wrong thread to bring this up. but on the subject of helmets - it's one thing to have a law requiring people to wear helmets, but if there are no regulatory standards as to the quality of the helmets sold, wearing a helmet has nothing to do with saving your life, and everything to do with not being stopped and fined by the police.

Most people buy the cheapest helmets they can, which most of the time are no more protective than placing an oversized eggshell on your head. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly confident that there are no laws in place which require helmets to pass standard safety standards.

For most people, wearing a helmet on a moto here is more about not being stopped and harassed by the police than any concern for your own safety.

RIP to the woman. Terrible tragedy.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Newly-Wed Bride Killed in Bag Snatch Attack

Post by Anchor Moy »

She looks so beautiful in that photo, and I suppose that played a part in the social media outrage - so young, so beautiful, and so recently married, her whole life stolen - it is a very emotional narrative, and Cambodians are particularly sensitive to tragic lovers.
Spoiler:
(Damn, even me, I thought this was particularly sad, probably because she was so young and beautiful :cry: )
But getting back to real life, I hope that the local cops will arrest the two attackers, and even more importantly, that the Kampong Thom police will be sent out to patrol that area after nightfall since it is said to be dangerous at night (early evening in this case). Look after the local people dammit. :mob:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic