Kep or Kampot?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Kep or Kampot?

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:10 pm Is there any decent beach resort in Cambodia that doesn't require going to the islands and faffing about with boats and dragging cases along a beach?

Sihanoukville should be thriving with the new road getting you there (in relative safety) within 3 hours, but nobody seems to have a good word to say about the place. Is it really that fucked up?

In fact, is there anywhere you can even fly to from PP that lands you at a beach resort? The PP to Koh Samui and Phuket routes didn't last long and doesn't bode well for other choices being offered in the near future.
PP- Phuket via air asia is 4.25 minutes - 8 hours with a stop in Bangkok
Often for between $70 and $90
about the same amount of time PP- Koh Rong
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:10 pm
Sihanoukville should be thriving with the new road getting you there (in relative safety) within 3 hours, but nobody seems to have a good word to say about the place. Is it really that fucked up?
There have been quite a few posts saying it's good now, just not the city end.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

hanno wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:25 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:05 pm Depends on your budget. If you have money to spent, I think better quality available in Kep. Both food and accommodation wise.

Kampot has far more options so it's easy to find great budget options too.

My personal favourites in Kampot are Amber and Villa Vedici. In Kep Saravoan, Samanea, Veranda and Knai Bang Chatt all are very good.

If beach is requirement then obviosly Kep is only option out of those two, though my personal choice in that case would be Sihanoukville. Better beaches and lot of things to do for kids.
Thank you for that. Budget is not that much of an issue. What is there to do in Sihanoukville? I have been twice in the last 4 weeks and didn't really find much for adults to do, never mind kids.
Depending on your kids age but there are multiple indoor and outdoor playgrounds dotted around the town (for example Yooppy is nice european style playground in park like setting and you can have nice thai dessert same time), rent bicycles to go different beaches (probably safest place to bicycle in Cambodia and most beaches are connected each other with pavement so no need to cross streets/roads even) and there are few nice mountain bike trails as well (kid need to be big as steep uphills), canoeing (mangrove river or sea), jetskis, rent a fish boat and go fishing, there is an indoor roller blade arena, indoor archery, thanks to SEA games there is now public beach volleyball area, kids electric sliding cars, go see monkeys and goats and all the normal beach activity. And if weather happen to suck you have modern cinema in town too.

Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

You may want to check out Nataya Roundhouse Coral Bay Resort, Kampot, it would seem to tick the boxes.
I stayed there a couple of times just after it opened, It's about 15 minutes out of Kampot heading to Snk.
If anyone stayed more recently an update would be great
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:46 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:25 pm What is there to do in Sihanoukville?

Joking aside, if the restaurant at the far end of Sokha Beach is still there, it is worth some dinner/cocktails, etc. Think Metro on the beach. But I haven't been since the invasion, so can't be sure sorry.
If you mean the restaurant run by the hotel? Still there.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:10 pm Is there any decent beach resort in Cambodia that doesn't require going to the islands and faffing about with boats and dragging cases along a beach?

In fact, is there anywhere you can even fly to from PP that lands you at a beach resort? The PP to Koh Samui and Phuket routes didn't last long and doesn't bode well for other choices being offered in the near future.
It was the most visited place last year. Mainly locals have took it as their weekend get away place. I know few families who have bought condos there and they go there every possible time when they have day off. Most weekends Otres beach road is packed with cars from Phnom Penh and popular hotels are fully booked. Weekdays it's still quiet.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:24 pm

PP- Phuket via air asia is 4.25 minutes - 8 hours with a stop in Bangkok
Often for between $70 and $90
about the same amount of time PP- Koh Rong
Yeah, that's probably the most viable option. I looked up that flight and it goes through DMK. Is that a quick airport to get through? Would you clear immigration there, or in Phuket? Anything that avoids BKK gets a bonus point right away.

Phuket v Koh Rong? Not even close in my view, Phuket beats it on every score: entertainment, restaurants, bars, transport, accommodation... the list is endless.

Not sure where you get $70-90 from. Maybe one-way!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fly thru ticket, you clear immigration in Bangkok via transit desk< usually only a few people, takes a few minutes at most>Bags checked thru
coming back you clear immigration in Phuket
the 4 1/2 trip gives u enough time for a meal and pick up a few crispy creme donuts

We use this option often

yes one way
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stray20
Tourist

Post by Stray20 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:32 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:05 pm Depends on your budget. If you have money to spent, I think better quality available in Kep. Both food and accommodation wise.

My personal favourites in Kampot are Amber and Villa Vedici. In Kep Saravoan, Samanea, Veranda and Knai Bang Chatt all are very good.

If beach is requirement then obviosly Kep is only option out of those two, though my personal choice in that case would be Sihanoukville. Better beaches and lot of things to do for kids.
Thank you for that. Budget is not that much of an issue. What is there to do in Sihanoukville? I have been twice in the last 4 weeks and didn't really find much for adults to do, never mind kids.
Depending on your kids age but there are multiple indoor and outdoor playgrounds dotted around the town (for example Yooppy is nice european style playground in park like setting and you can have nice thai dessert same time), rent bicycles to go different beaches (probably safest place to bicycle in Cambodia and most beaches are connected each other with pavement so no need to cross streets/roads even) and there are few nice mountain bike trails as well (kid need to be big as steep uphills), canoeing (mangrove river or sea), jetskis, rent a fish boat and go fishing, there is an indoor roller blade arena, indoor archery, thanks to SEA games there is now public beach volleyball area, kids electric sliding cars, go see monkeys and goats and all the normal beach activity. And if weather happen to suck you have modern cinema in town too.

That dessert looks nice but that playground is pretty woeful. The wooden climbing frame on the left is even broken.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Stray20 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:51 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:32 pm

That dessert looks nice but that playground is pretty woeful. The wooden climbing frame on the left is even broken.
You are not supposed to climb on it. It's just the wall/roof for the "tunnel". Was there just last month with my kid and it was fine other than that part. She loves the place. It's one of the better playgrounds in Cambodia. Only the new Aeon 3 in Phnom Penh playground is better really.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic