Truck Ploughs Through Traffic Light, Killing 2, Injuring 5

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Truck Ploughs Through Traffic Light, Killing 2, Injuring 5

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 13 June 2023, at 11:40am, a fatal traffic accident occurred along the Kob Srov traffic light at the corner of Hanoi Street, in Sen Sok district, Phnom Penh, when a truck failed to stop at the lights and ploughed directly into a tuktuk and a motorcycle who were waiting at a red light.
The two people on the motorcycle were killed instantly when they were crushed by the truck, and five other people were injured and taken to hospital for treatment at the Prek Pnov Referral Hospital, while the two bodies were taken away by an ambulance and then handed over to the family for funeral rites.
The truck driver responsible for the accident has been handed over to the Phnom Penh police to build a case according to legal procedures. Police will be questioning him over the reasons for his dangerous driving and the failure to stop at a red light.
ImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Truck Ploughs Through Traffic Light, Killing 2, Injuring 5

Post by Anchor Moy »

Shouldn't generalise, BUT I will ...

Cambodian trucks = no brakes, flat tyres, badly maintained, overloaded.
Driven by a no license, no truck experience, drug/alcohol addled pea-brain with IQ of 10. Generally good at running from accidents. Not sure what went wrong here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:39 pm Not sure what went wrong here.
Only a small proportion of the driving population obey the lights. Sadly, they were in front. Now the proportion is even smaller.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:53 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:39 pm Not sure what went wrong here.
Only a small proportion of the driving population obey the lights. Sadly, they were in front. Now the proportion is even smaller.
Was meant to be a joke - "(Truck drivers are)Generally good at running from accidents. Not sure what went wrong here."(He got caught.)

As for what REALLY went wrong, the list is long, and not funny at all. I have a peeve against Cambodian truck drivers who are generally stupid morons, but I know that the owners of the truck companies are largely to blame. They are the ones who hire morons to work for peanuts for long hours, and their trucks are dangerous. :protest:
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The tuk-tuk looks quite a bit flattened. Indian quality plus Cambodian driving skills equals death trap.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Vehicles are designed to fold up during collisions. Crumple zones absorb impact forces and prevent them from being transmitted to the occupants.
Scarier than malaria.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ali baba wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:22 am Vehicles are designed to fold up during collisions. Crumple zones absorb impact forces and prevent them from being transmitted to the occupants.
I very much doubt that the Indian rickshaws have crumple zones.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

ali baba wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:22 am Vehicles are designed to fold up during collisions. Crumple zones absorb impact forces and prevent them from being transmitted to the occupants.
In the case of these tuk tuks, to suggest that they have crumple zones or have been designed as such is ridiculous. It's like driving over a coke can. Wouldn't get in one for quids.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

hanno wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:25 am
I very much doubt that the Indian rickshaws have crumple zones.
The whole tuktuk is a crumple zone so they dont damage those nice SUVs driven by distracted/incompetent/drunk (delete as necessary) drivers
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

This is my single biggest fear riding on two wheels in the KoW - I don't doubt my own skills, and I do still tend to keep an eye on my mirrors at lights anyway, but if you're stuck in traffic & one of these ploughs through the lot of you, not much you can do.

Seriously wish the MPWT would take truck maintenance seriously- the country is due a good clean up of the vehicles unsuitable for the road, along with a proper testing program for driving licenses & removal of licenses/jail time for those involved in accidents/caught without license, etc.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic