Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:46 pm Anyone know how AussieXL bar is doing after their move from BBK1 to the back streets of north of Wah Phnom?
Appears to be doing better than it was on 51 for the past 7-8 years. The swimming pool and large open area makes it much more attractive than its previous location. I've been a few times since the move and it has always been very busy.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

That's good to hear. I always went there when they were on Street 51 for their Friday fish fries. Maybe they don't do much of a lunch business? I explored a whole new area of Phnom Penh when I went looking for the new location so all was not lost.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Stinkman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:21 pm
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:12 pm Rent is cheap as chips nowadays. My room 5 years ago was 350 per month.. now I'm paying 100 a month
Is this true?
Yep, although the land next door is insanely overgrown now and there's a million mosquitos outside my door constantly. He did us a discount cos of it.

But It's got AC, hot shower, big screen, big double gas hob, tall fridge freezer, there was even a rolling pin in there when I moved in.

The place I was I was in before here had everything and was 150, during the invasion the LL was getting 800. The foreigners before that we're on 350
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:07 am There's your answer: Just buy dilapidated buildings and wait.

Unfortunately, your answer has restrictions; you can't own the land - no biggie - or the ground floor. Better than only being allowed the ground floor: Everyone else could sell and leave ground there, if they want, whereas it would get a little tricky if you had ground and no one else wanted to sell (we're talking demolition, here), and you can only own 70% of a building. Or another way of putting it, and you get to own up to 70% of a building.

Doubt the other 30% would hold out long, for a better price, though. It's probably not their's anyway.

Then you could lease the new bar they build, to stay on topic.
I know it's complicated, but I doubt anyone thats new to the laws of ownership here, would have any clearer idea from that post
sumfin smart
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:48 pm
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:12 pm Rent is cheap as chips nowadays. My room 5 years ago was 350 per month.. now I'm paying 100 a month
Is this true?
Yep, although the land next door is insanely overgrown now and there's a million mosquitos outside my door constantly. He did us a discount cos of it.

But It's got AC, hot shower, big screen, big double gas hob, tall fridge freezer, there was even a rolling pin in there when I moved in.

The place I was I was in before here had everything and was 150, during the invasion the LL was getting 800. The foreigners before that we're on 350
Yes, and you can find wide variety of rentals in Sihanoukville now days. Rents on older apartments and houses have dropped even when comparing pre-2018 rents. This is because there is now lot of new modern apartments and houses. 5-6 years ago with $200-$300 you got local standard apartment. Now with that price you can get modern condo unit with pool & gym. Those same local standard apartments are $100-$200.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:07 am There's your answer: Just buy dilapidated buildings and wait.

Unfortunately, your answer has restrictions; you can't own the land - no biggie - or the ground floor. Better than only being allowed the ground floor: Everyone else could sell and leave ground there, if they want, whereas it would get a little tricky if you had ground and no one else wanted to sell (we're talking demolition, here), and you can only own 70% of a building. Or another way of putting it, and you get to own up to 70% of a building.

Doubt the other 30% would hold out long, for a better price, though. It's probably not their's anyway.

Your post is gonna confuse the f' out of people who don't know Cambodias property laws, just to clarify...

The only property types foreigners can own 100% outright are Strata Titled properties. Strata Titles are restricted to condominiums and, more recently, office buildings, because foreign nationals are not allowed to own landed properties in the country. Does not apply to any old apartment, shophouse, etc which is above the ground floor...only condos.

Strata Titles can only be granted if the property in question satisfies these criteria:
- Only applicable to buildings constructed in 2010 and beyond.
- Foreigners can only own 70% of the total surface area of the building, the rest is reserved for Cambodian Nationals.
- Strata Titles cannot be issued for properties on the ground floor and/or underground.
- Strata Titles cannot be issued for any property within 30km of the nearest land border.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:36 pm
DeparRudeAnts wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:48 pm
Is this true?

Yes, and you can find wide variety of rentals in Sihanoukville now days. Rents on older apartments and houses have dropped even when comparing pre-2018 rents. This is because there is now lot of new modern apartments and houses. 5-6 years ago with $200-$300 you got local standard apartment. Now with that price you can get modern condo unit with pool & gym. Those same local standard apartments are $100-$200.
All sounds good?!
Just remember, there's no fucking pub.... See you at the mom and pop shop. Again
sumfin smart
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:37 pm

Your post is gonna confuse the f' out of people who don't know Cambodias property laws, just to clarify...

The only property types foreigners can own 100% outright are Strata Titled properties. Strata Titles are restricted to condominiums and, more recently, office buildings, because foreign nationals are not allowed to own landed properties in the country. Does not apply to any old apartment, shophouse, etc which is above the ground floor...only condos.

Strata Titles can only be granted if the property in question satisfies these criteria:
- Only applicable to buildings constructed in 2010 and beyond.
- Foreigners can only own 70% of the total surface area of the building, the rest is reserved for Cambodian Nationals.
- Strata Titles cannot be issued for properties on the ground floor and/or underground.
- Strata Titles cannot be issued for any property within 30km of the nearest land border.
What he said...

I didn't include the Stratas, because normally a building 13 years old, or less, is unlikely to be dilapidated to the point of demolition.

However; a) that would not come into consideration with certain Nationals, and b) the local construction can be somewhat wanting.
Last edited by Pseudonomdeplume on Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:26 am
hdgh29 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:09 pm Most responses seem to be about PP or Kampot, even Sihanoukville. Maybe you should have a visit to Siem Reap, pretty much the country's party town. Plenty of bars run by expats, doing ok, but it takes a lot of work to get the punters in. Live music / open mic nights, quiz nights, drag shows, pool competitions, you can find them all here. If you can afford to lose some of your savings, sure, go ahead, life is an adventure. You may not make a fortune but you will have fun along the way and meet a lot of new people, good and bad. Don't let the naysayers put you off, they will always say "can't be done". Who knows until you try. Good luck.
I havent been in SR since Covid, but give it a try defenitally in a couple of months, any recomandations about music-expat bars overthere ?? Used to go to Laundry bar close to the marked, but it was for sale already before Covid !! ??
Laundry Bar reopened in a different location in Wat Bo, they have live bands most weeks, plus a well attended open mic night every Wednesday. Harrys Bar (related to the one in PP?) has a resident live band. The Welsh Consulate bar (again, same as in PP) has an open mic on Fridays, and live music acts on Saturdays. Star Bar and Arins Bar have regular live acts. For those who want something different, Barcode puts on a nightly show of girly-men, all dressed up and miming to Liza Minelli (I only went once, but its a fun night). There are a number of local bands (not all filipinos) who do regular gigs around town. All in all a pretty vibrant live music scene here in SR (not to mention the plethora of khmer bands in beer gardens and roof top restaurants).
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

hdgh29 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:33 am
Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:26 am
hdgh29 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:09 pm Most responses seem to be about PP or Kampot, even Sihanoukville. Maybe you should have a visit to Siem Reap, pretty much the country's party town. Plenty of bars run by expats, doing ok, but it takes a lot of work to get the punters in. Live music / open mic nights, quiz nights, drag shows, pool competitions, you can find them all here. If you can afford to lose some of your savings, sure, go ahead, life is an adventure. You may not make a fortune but you will have fun along the way and meet a lot of new people, good and bad. Don't let the naysayers put you off, they will always say "can't be done". Who knows until you try. Good luck.
I havent been in SR since Covid, but give it a try defenitally in a couple of months, any recomandations about music-expat bars overthere ?? Used to go to Laundry bar close to the marked, but it was for sale already before Covid !! ??
Laundry Bar reopened in a different location in Wat Bo, they have live bands most weeks, plus a well attended open mic night every Wednesday. Harrys Bar (related to the one in PP?) has a resident live band. The Welsh Consulate bar (again, same as in PP) has an open mic on Fridays, and live music acts on Saturdays. Star Bar and Arins Bar have regular live acts. For those who want something different, Barcode puts on a nightly show of girly-men, all dressed up and miming to Liza Minelli (I only went once, but its a fun night). There are a number of local bands (not all filipinos) who do regular gigs around town. All in all a pretty vibrant live music scene here in SR (not to mention the plethora of khmer bands in beer gardens and roof top restaurants).
So not much competition in town then?
sumfin smart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic