Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

Post by Albror »

schlarry wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:45 pm
Albror wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:35 pm Sure, have Boran House but its run by locals and dont even have a tv to show sport on.
The horror! Imagine having to talk to people!
Imagine if you could do both? 🤯

Now me and other people who live in Bkk2/3 simply go far away from those areas to gather and watch. Just to mention a gap in the market. No competition but stil farily central area with many foreigners.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Albror wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:35 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:31 pm In my eyes, in PP the main problem is the sky-rocketing leases.
Mostly prime locations tho? Like what happens to the rent when one walks 20 meter across Monivong that they drop by half by crossing one street.

Get something that is not optimal location, cheap rent, smaller clientele but invest a bit more in the kitchen and offer 24/7 food on the delivery apps + do the deliveries yourself though messenger orders to save the huge app cuts as well. Of course foods loved by foreigners but also the most popular local dishes. Think about the off-season and that the vast majority in this country are locals so that you cover both.

Bkk2/3 have no foreigner bars at all to this date what i know and that is just across the street from Bkk1. Sure, have Boran House but its run by locals and dont even have a tv to show sport on. Big gap there as there is loads of foreigners who live in those 2 areas. If there was a place there offering some nice drunken food on the way home i would stop by every time i went out.
Anyone know how AussieXL bar is doing after their move from BBK1 to the back streets of north of Wah Phnom?
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Most responses seem to be about PP or Kampot, even Sihanoukville. Maybe you should have a visit to Siem Reap, pretty much the country's party town. Plenty of bars run by expats, doing ok, but it takes a lot of work to get the punters in. Live music / open mic nights, quiz nights, drag shows, pool competitions, you can find them all here. If you can afford to lose some of your savings, sure, go ahead, life is an adventure. You may not make a fortune but you will have fun along the way and meet a lot of new people, good and bad. Don't let the naysayers put you off, they will always say "can't be done". Who knows until you try. Good luck.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:12 pm Rent is cheap as chips nowadays. My room 5 years ago was 350 per month.. now I'm paying 100 a month
Is this true?
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:10 am Until the riverside is developed I don't see that happening. ... The only future I can see is that the whole stretch will get demolished and replaced by modern buildings.
That is the last thing Phnom Penh needs.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

schlarry wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:45 pm

The horror! Imagine having to talk to people!
Have you met people? They are horrible.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

hdgh29 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:09 pm Most responses seem to be about PP or Kampot, even Sihanoukville. Maybe you should have a visit to Siem Reap, pretty much the country's party town. Plenty of bars run by expats, doing ok, but it takes a lot of work to get the punters in. Live music / open mic nights, quiz nights, drag shows, pool competitions, you can find them all here. If you can afford to lose some of your savings, sure, go ahead, life is an adventure. You may not make a fortune but you will have fun along the way and meet a lot of new people, good and bad. Don't let the naysayers put you off, they will always say "can't be done". Who knows until you try. Good luck.
I havent been in SR since Covid, but give it a try defenitally in a couple of months, any recomandations about music-expat bars overthere ?? Used to go to Laundry bar close to the marked, but it was for sale already before Covid !! ??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Stinkman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:26 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:10 am Until the riverside is developed I don't see that happening. ... The only future I can see is that the whole stretch will get demolished and replaced by modern buildings.
That is the last thing Phnom Penh needs.
It's not really important what you or any of us think the country needs. The tycoons and developers will transform the place wether we like it or not.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

There's your answer: Just buy dilapidated buildings and wait.

Unfortunately, your answer has restrictions; you can't own the land - no biggie - or the ground floor. Better than only being allowed the ground floor: Everyone else could sell and leave ground there, if they want, whereas it would get a little tricky if you had ground and no one else wanted to sell (we're talking demolition, here), and you can only own 70% of a building. Or another way of putting it, and you get to own up to 70% of a building.

Doubt the other 30% would hold out long, for a better price, though. It's probably not their's anyway.

Then you could lease the new bar they build, to stay on topic.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Anyone know how AussieXL bar is doing after their move from BBK1 to the back streets of north of Wah Phnom?

I was staying around the corner from their former location in BKK1 last week and decided to go have a meal there. I didn't realize they had moved. I found them on maps and decided to walk there. I finally arrived at noon time and was told by one of the staff that the restaurant was closed. I have never had any reason to go to that part of Phnom Penh before, saw very few barang anywhere in the area and besides cheap rent, I have no idea what Aussie XL was thinking when they made that move.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic