Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

Post by Cooldude »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 pm The spit roast places closed some time after the monks from Wat Ounalom complained in 2012. I think a few might have remained a bit longer by not roasting out front.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... s-spinning

They seem to be constructing some large buildings there at the moment. On Google Earth you can see there have been a lot of buildings erected and demolished on the site over the years.
I walked by there yesterday. Looks like an ABA bank rising above the construction fence on that lot facing street 13.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

One is the fifth...but, you do not plead La Quinta..shish.
The other means ...the check....
De nada
Buck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Buck »

The Glass House In Kampot is, or was, for sale. I think it only opened a year or two ago.

https://www.businessesforsale.com/popul ... -sale.aspx

S/F

B
Stray20
Tourist

Post by Stray20 »

6 pages and the OP hasn’t responded to any of the comments yet.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Stray20 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:43 am 6 pages and the OP hasn’t responded to any of the comments yet.
Your optimism is sweet
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Buck wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:40 am The Glass House In Kampot is, or was, for sale. I think it only opened a year or two ago.

S/F

B

20k for a fridge, esky and a room. No fucking thanks
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Buck wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:57 am
techietraveller84 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:44 am One thing I wish I could find more overseas are places that serve beer that isn't cheap piss beer.
In PP you can try: Botanico, Himawari, Hops Garden, Box Office, Urban Beer House 310, The Exchange, Hangar 44, or Alchemy. All of them have, or had upon last visit, outstanding beers and a cool vibe.

S/F

B
Next time I am in the area.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:44 am
Buck wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:40 am The Glass House In Kampot is, or was, for sale. I think it only opened a year or two ago.

S/F

B

20k for a fridge, esky and a room. No fucking thanks
That and the fact that almost no one genuinely sells a thriving business. So the "goodwill" of the name certainly wouldn't be worth it.
Just wait till the lease becomes vacant and move in and add your own stuff and maybe even give the place a sprucing up all for far less than the asking price.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

My understanding is that it and the tattoo shop came in early before it got popular to put businesses in that alley. As such their lease terms are significantly better that what you could expect waiting for that lease to end.

Does that make it worth 20k? Probably not. But you likely have around 1.5-2k/year in utility of the lower lease price . With four years left i'd probably value that at about 3-4k if I was going to try and buy it and could confirm the terms won't be changed and the leaser has a hard title.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

Cooldude wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:09 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 pm The spit roast places closed some time after the monks from Wat Ounalom complained in 2012. I think a few might have remained a bit longer by not roasting out front.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... s-spinning

They seem to be constructing some large buildings there at the moment. On Google Earth you can see there have been a lot of buildings erected and demolished on the site over the years.
I walked by there yesterday. Looks like an ABA bank rising above the construction fence on that lot facing street 13.
Last night they removed the fences along 23 & 154, will be interesting to see what develops there, quite a lot happening in that area, Sts 154, 172, 13
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic