Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Post by JReb »

Quite a list ..if you paid my way..I wouldn't go to them.
It seems you have never been there or it has been a long time..the apple? Are you kidding? Chicago?
Yikes..
You are just asking for trouble going to these places. Taking your family is big time mistake.
My hometown is a 2 gun town now and it is safer than your list...
I have lived and worked all over the USA...it has changed dramatically over the years.
Very dangerous streets to be out walking around...I guess you plan on home schooling your kids too?
Best of luck..
I suspect most of you will be right at home. Please go and do your thing...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

JReb wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:49 am Quite a list ..if you paid my way..I wouldn't go to them.
It seems you have never been there or it has been a long time..the apple? Are you kidding? Chicago?
Yikes..
You are just asking for trouble going to these places. Taking your family is big time mistake.
My hometown is a 2 gun town now and it is safer than your list...
I have lived and worked all over the USA...it has changed dramatically over the years.
Very dangerous streets to be out walking around...I guess you plan on home schooling your kids too?
Best of luck..
I suspect most of you will be right at home. Please go and do your thing...
In the main you are right- I’ve never been to most of these places, hence the question/open for input.
Sometimes, no matter how hard I try, work locations never seem to include tropical sandy beaches in the alps. So one makes the best choice of what’s on offer.

Off that list, I’ve been here-
Dallas/Fort Worth*
Houston*
Seattle

From that list, I might be interested in these
(but other than a quick wiki google search, I know little of them.)
Colorado Springs
Denver
Phoenix
San Diego
San Francisco
Tucson
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Boulder, CO, is near two of your choices and is worth considering. Also, San Jose, across from SF has some nice spots too. Oakland maybe is another story though. Good choice on San Diego. La Jolla has fantastic weather.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Oakland, CA has a sizable Khmer population with quite a few restaurants.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

If I had to spend an entire week in the US I'd at least demand to know what I'd done wrong.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I do like San Diego and San Fran but it’s been quite some time since I went. And I went with friends and was just drinking all the time, not sure about activities with a 5 year old.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:26 pm
However Houston is not a Khmer food paradise. Most Khmer cook food at home. Supplies are either local or shipped in from Cambodia. There is only one restaurant and one food truck. Near the Khmer restaurant is a Vietnamese supermarket that stocks Cambodian products. Also near the restaurant is the only Cambodian store in the area. There are many Khmer in the area. Khmer company won’t be a problem.
Can you share the details of the name of the Cambodian restaurant in houston and name/location of the food truck?

And the name of the Vietnamese supermarket that stocks Cambodian products and the Cambodian store?

Thanks
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

all depends on how much $$ you have and ur job>
Rather than specific cities i'd look in;
Oregon
New Mexico
Colorado
Vermont
New Hampshire
North Carolina

If public schools are a priority look down south
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:53 pm …and where would you avoid, if a long term stay (6months~1year) were expected?

Atlanta
Boise
Chicago
Colorado Springs
Dallas/Fort Worth*
Denver
Detroit
Fresno
Houston*
Los Angeles
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Palm Springs
Phoenix
Portland (OR)
Salt Lake City
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle/Tacoma
Tucson

This is as a family- Khmer partner who has barely travelled, and nothing further than Kuala Lumpur, along with a 4~5year old boy.
If you have some real input, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

If this were 35 years ago, I’d be leaping after the California options, and South/South-West.
I’ve visited Texas professionally and personally a few times, but the last was 13years ago, and Corpus Christie or San Antonio ain’t on the agenda, anyway. (ps. USS Texas is in for refurb/Maintenance)
Michigan and the North don’t appeal much, except Seattle, maybe.

Is this a work transfer or digital nomad thing? And if you're not American how can you stay more than 90 days (or 6 months with visa, which are rarely given to Westerners)

If you're going to do any traveling around, I highly recommend the stretch from Grand Teton national park to Yellowstone to Glacier National Park.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:59 amhow is NYC not on the list?? I am offended as a native New Yorker!!
You're history now, FreightDog, somebody was offended.

Expect the Cancel Club to come knocking soon. :stir: :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic