Why I hate Apple with such passion

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

After being a Samsung user for many years, a couple of years ago, I decided to buy the iPhone Mini 13. The only thing that attracted me to it to be honest was its size. I liked the idea of having a pocketable phone that I could use one handed. Plus, it was an iPhone, what could go wrong…?

As excited as I was having a new phone and a new operating system to play around with, I soon started to realise that the experience wasn’t going to be as easy to get used to as I thought.
For a start, there was no file system to speak of. Every time I mention this to people, they all say, “yes there is, it’s called files”, but I don’t think they really know what a basic file system is or does. It’s a place to find anything and everything that it stored on your device. The “files’ feature on iPhone is very selective as to what it shows. I found it confusing and unintuitive and couldn’t find anything I expected to find.

Then there was the ability to simply plug in an external drive to transfer files either from my phone or onto my phone. This couldn’t be done because Apple prioritises making money from its MFI program (Made for iPhone) program over user convenience. Basically, this means that Apple keeps the lightening port as its only port, rather than ALL of the other phone manufacturers moving over to USB-C, because they can charge manufacturers who make lightening port accessories a fee for using their proprietary lightening technology, despite it being over 10 years old and having speeds slower than that of USB-2.

It also doesn’t want to work with anything non-Apple. Whilst Microsoft, Samsung, Android, Google, and a whole host of other manufacturers have all made strides to recognise that people have devices from all manner of manufacturers, and want them all to work together, Apple doesn’t want to play that game. As far as Apple is concerned, they are the only technology company on the planet and if you dare to use any product from any other manufacturer, well, fuck you.

I could go on and on, but what did it for me was the fact that the EU are forcing Apple to use USB-C in their iPhones, if they want to sell them in the EU. A noble effort by the EU to reduce e-waste. If we can all use the same cable (USB-C) for as many of our tech products as we can, it stands to reason that it will reduce unnecessary e-waste.

Not to be outdone, Apple had a long, hard think about this. They make so much money from their slow and outdated lightening technology, they aren’t going to allow the EU to disrupt this very lucrative income stream they have.

Their answer – they would make iPhones that use USB-C. Problem solved. Although not quite. iPhones would have to use MFI USB-C cables (Made for iPhones). USB-C cables that were not MFI certified would have their charging speeds dramatically reduced.

Thankfully, the EU have come back and said that this is unacceptable, and they must follow the standard USB-C standard that every other manufacturer uses.
(USB-C is deliberately non-proprietary; it was created by a collaboration of many technology companies, this means that nobody owns the technology and therefore cannot profit from it, it terms of copyright issues).
But here we have Apple thinking it can ‘own’ or at least ‘control’ something it doesn’t own.

I can’t put into words how much I despise Apple as a company. Not just over the USB-C debacle, but just, well, just everything. I hate them with a passion.

I don’t understand why people buy their products, apart from the fact they see other people using them and must therefore assume they must be ‘the brand’ to go for.

The only thing they are masters, masters of, is fooling the general public into thinking that they, and only they, can produce quality tech products.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Why I hate Apple with such passion

Post by Freightdog »

That USB-C debacle, as you put it, hasn’t actually been a fix all. The problem being that limiting things like inter connectivity can be technologically limiting. Lightening resolved data, band width and power issues, that the earlier incarnation of usb was having as device performance was being pushed ever harder. USB-C, even now, is quite a broad technical specification. Therefore, a device that charges fast with one cable, will charge much slower with a lower quality cable. Some of this manufacturer specific technology is optimised. Yes, you can use non-specific stuff, but that may come at a price- such as performance.

The manufactures are going to keep developing device performance, which is going to test the quality of batteries, and charging. Joe-Public is going to buy the cheapest quality cable, yet expect the higher capabilities.
It’s not entirely a bad thing that some oversight on technology comes from outside influence. Standardisation is a good thing, generally. But it doesn’t always work out in all peoples best interest. Something of a double edged sword. VHS or Betamax, anyone?

I personally don’t like Samsung and many other manufacturers for pretty much the same reasons that you state. I gave up on Samsung. They could very easily produce interfaces that would work with Apple. But what has been produced, that I’ve had reason to use, has been rather lacklustre.

One area that really deserves much more attention is files handling and compatibility. PDF has evolved, and has been around for decades, now, yet many an official agency not only uses word documents, but maintain an old version which is incompatible with office-365, for instance.
I’ve run into a great many compatibility issues with documents produced on -365 which simply don’t work on older kit. But the focus has been put well and truly on interconnects rather than a common document format.
You’d be surprised (or not) at how many folks are simply unable to work with a pdf, and must instead insist on a document being edited in word, and submitted in word.

Another bug bear is this shift towards subscription services. What the hell for? If I were to subscribe to various software related stuff that I encounter, I could easily sink $100 per month without trying. But where I’ve benefitted from companies having such things, like -365, I’d be hard pressed to see where the cost is displayed in daily function.
But the oversight has focused on cables.

jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

So the Apple v Android ‘wars’ continue, lol. I’m a bit bemused that the main thrust of the OP’s anti-Apple post is about charging issues. Below are a couple of Lightning to USB-C adapters for a few dollars. I’ve used a few over the years and they seem to work fine. Hardly a major investment.
As the second poster says, I’ve found that different chargers and cables for BOTH Apple and Android phones have different efficiencies but I don’t get steamed up about it. They all work. I have my favourite charger/cable combo that charges very fast and some others that are merely ok. Phone batteries these days are so much better than five years ago that charging rates are far less of a major concern to me.
I will agree that the Apple Files app and their whole way of dealing with files on their phones is crap. Confusing, not helpful and not intuitive. Fortunately I find I barely seem to need it for 99% of the time I’m using my iPhone. When I’m using Facebook, WhatsApp, news apps, Web browsers, Netflix, camera, photo-editing apps etc, which is the vast majority of my phone usage, the Files feature is irrelevant to me.

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

As long as there is competition, there is innovation. When there is only one choice, innovation stagnates.

There’s clearly two main groups of through. One group is a phone should be just like a windows computer. Everything under the hood should be customizable and be able to connect to everything. The other group just wants something that works. They don’t care what’s under the hood.

There are many flavors of Android. There’s full Android and Android lite, as well as the branded customizations from various manufacturers and phone companies. As well as different capabilities of the various phones themselves. So which version of Android and which hardware combo should software companies write for?

iPhones have a limited combination of hardware and software. But this allows tight integration and similar or faster real world performance. Apple’s draconian human interface guidelines means all programs work roughly the same way.

Both approaches are equally valid. As long as each side spurs innovation in each other, everyone wins.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

How come there isn't a major Japanese company in this biz ?
I like their industrial thinking, long lasting, intuitive, creative.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

I got rid of my ipad and iphone when they started screwing customers by purposely slowing down the old iphones to try to get people to upgrade.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I only ever had one (expensive) iphone yonks ago. I changed to Android after I accidentally drove my pick-up over the iphone. I decided that it was better (for my wallet) to buy cheaper mobile phones...
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

Apple is all that is evil in the world and Android is the savior of mankind. I can't wait to get my hands on the new Vision Pro helmet, I'll be cruising down the river with it fully glued on before taking it off and smashing it against a brick wall for all to see. You won't find anyone who hates Apple more than me, it's too much for my manly lifestyle to even have to watch their shit here. It's capricious and gay, and it won't last.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

I would only ever use one of their products if it were gifted to me.

Overpriced, shite service, exploitative (borderline extortionate) marketing.

But...admittedly, decent product with best resale value, lots of suckers around, it seems.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

We have both in our house, and Apple has a bit of a gay reputation in general.. It's something you buy your girlfriend together with a Rover or Mercedes for her birthday. It's about having your girl with the latest model before all her friends while you do the more manly Samsung thingy.

Personally I look forward to Samsungs response to Vision Pro. Wondering who made the tech to begin with?
Apple has a huge basement full of east block science masters, they only feed them sausage I hear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic