Why I hate Apple with such passion

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Why I hate Apple with such passion

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:19 pm After being a Samsung user for many years, a couple of years ago, I decided to buy the iPhone Mini 13. The only thing that attracted me to it to be honest was its size. I liked the idea of having a pocketable phone that I could use one handed. Plus, it was an iPhone, what could go wrong…?

As excited as I was having a new phone and a new operating system to play around with, I soon started to realise that the experience wasn’t going to be as easy to get used to as I thought.
For a start, there was no file system to speak of. Every time I mention this to people, they all say, “yes there is, it’s called files”, but I don’t think they really know what a basic file system is or does. It’s a place to find anything and everything that it stored on your device. The “files’ feature on iPhone is very selective as to what it shows. I found it confusing and unintuitive and couldn’t find anything I expected to find.

Then there was the ability to simply plug in an external drive to transfer files either from my phone or onto my phone. This couldn’t be done because Apple prioritises making money from its MFI program (Made for iPhone) program over user convenience. Basically, this means that Apple keeps the lightening port as its only port, rather than ALL of the other phone manufacturers moving over to USB-C, because they can charge manufacturers who make lightening port accessories a fee for using their proprietary lightening technology, despite it being over 10 years old and having speeds slower than that of USB-2.

It also doesn’t want to work with anything non-Apple. Whilst Microsoft, Samsung, Android, Google, and a whole host of other manufacturers have all made strides to recognise that people have devices from all manner of manufacturers, and want them all to work together, Apple doesn’t want to play that game. As far as Apple is concerned, they are the only technology company on the planet and if you dare to use any product from any other manufacturer, well, fuck you.

I could go on and on, but what did it for me was the fact that the EU are forcing Apple to use USB-C in their iPhones, if they want to sell them in the EU. A noble effort by the EU to reduce e-waste. If we can all use the same cable (USB-C) for as many of our tech products as we can, it stands to reason that it will reduce unnecessary e-waste.

Not to be outdone, Apple had a long, hard think about this. They make so much money from their slow and outdated lightening technology, they aren’t going to allow the EU to disrupt this very lucrative income stream they have.

Their answer – they would make iPhones that use USB-C. Problem solved. Although not quite. iPhones would have to use MFI USB-C cables (Made for iPhones). USB-C cables that were not MFI certified would have their charging speeds dramatically reduced.

Thankfully, the EU have come back and said that this is unacceptable, and they must follow the standard USB-C standard that every other manufacturer uses.
(USB-C is deliberately non-proprietary; it was created by a collaboration of many technology companies, this means that nobody owns the technology and therefore cannot profit from it, it terms of copyright issues).
But here we have Apple thinking it can ‘own’ or at least ‘control’ something it doesn’t own.

I can’t put into words how much I despise Apple as a company. Not just over the USB-C debacle, but just, well, just everything. I hate them with a passion.

I don’t understand why people buy their products, apart from the fact they see other people using them and must therefore assume they must be ‘the brand’ to go for.

The only thing they are masters, masters of, is fooling the general public into thinking that they, and only they, can produce quality tech products.
I have similar sentiments towards Samsung.

Cookie cutter exploding pieces of overpriced Korean junk

Apple has been a "lifestyle" brand since I was a kid when they escaped bankruptcy and launched these colored computer monitor mac things and they have kept those customers as they aged by and large

Not an apple user myself, although I have used a large iPad for work stuff and had no complaints. I wouldn't BUY apple products, new, but if I am issued with one, given one, find one or there's a secondhand apple item that fulfills a need I might have I would use it

I hear they are great for multimedia stuff, graphic design, editing video etc.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

It still boggles my mind how much, relatively speaking, many people are willing to pay for a mobile phone. I have quite a cheap Samsung Android phone that costs me the equivalent of working less than 5 hours. All my Thai colleagues have an iPhone, without exception now, and that typically costs them the equivalent of more than a month's salary depending on the model they buy.

The worst thing is that I can't even see any real and tangible benefit. They mostly use exactly the same apps that I use on my cheapo phone without any issues, just the iOS version instead of the Android version.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I happily pay more to minimise lag time as much as possible. I want instant. (This is not confined to iPhones but is a reason I would pay more for a phone).
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:19 pm I don’t understand why people buy their products, apart from the fact they see other people using them and must therefore assume they must be ‘the brand’ to go for.

The only thing they are masters, masters of, is fooling the general public into thinking that they, and only they, can produce quality tech products.
this macbook air ive had since 2015 was a great buy, not expensive to own, most of it's saved me from all kinds of headaches i used to have w windoze computers. why people need an iPhone that costs as much i dunno ... maybe they really are nicer to use?

Alex wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:00 pm ... I have quite a cheap Samsung Android phone that costs me the equivalent of working less than 5 hours.

They mostly use exactly the same apps that I use on my cheapo phone without any issues, just the iOS version instead of the Android version.
which model ? do the apps run any slower? how does the keypad compare?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I switched to Mac a long time ago. Not because it was trendy, but after reading some reviews, and having been building my own PCs for years, I was fed up with Windows.
I bought a new MacBook, and never looked back. Curiously, at the time, there was a flight crew logbook that shipped with the OS.

Along came iphone, but I wasn’t too fussed, at first. It was just a phone, and my Nokias more than sufficed. I got a Samsung android thing, and thoroughly hated it. It cost a fortune, never seemed to connect to data when I needed it, such as it was, and even when I could get a wifi, it would chew up data allowances.
After several months of persevering, I took the sim out, and stuck it in a new iPhone.

Aviation nowadays uses a lot of electronic kit. We’ve really joined the twentieth century at last. There are two main platforms for a lot of the same software. Windows based, and iOS. Not overly surprising, the iOS based stuff is noticeably more reliable, more stable. It just is. Yes, occasionally things crash, but we’re talking maybe a couple of times per year in iOS, while the comparable kit running windows generally had issues once per week. Just a month ago, I was involved in a training course with a latest version of that same windows based kit. 5 devices in a room, 4 were working, and one we had to get the IT folk to sort out (which they couldn’t in the time available).
And the technical kit that goes along with iOS stuff is minimal. For the other platform, we’ve had to carry a separate bag for all of the stuff like charging packs, interfaces, and sundry extra stuff for windows/pc based kit, while the iPad stuff is just concise.

For many people, the devices they have, whether Android or iOS, are being used well below their capability- the rest is just trendy.
At a professional level, we just want it to work. There’s plenty of airlines that go with the cheaper option- we even have a significant amount of training time allocated to dealing with the technical problems that occur out on the line.
The others, we get the iPad out, turn it on, and start using it.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

Non-Apple laptop or PC, install Linux (totally FREE) has Word, Excel, PPT etc clones. Free. Brilliant OS. No updating that you don't specifically request. Fuck Windows intrusive updates. Which cretin authorised that?
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

schlarry wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm Non-Apple laptop or PC, install Linux (totally FREE) has Word, Excel, PPT etc clones. Free. Brilliant OS. No updating that you don't specifically request. Fuck Windows intrusive updates. Which cretin authorised that?
which distro are you using? Linux is ok if you don't have a boss... since you could end up spending most of the workday trying to get your printer or router to function . how do you explain to your employer why you needed to spend 7 hrs getting it to work in LINUX vs what you can do w windows/mac: plug it in, and maybe downloading a driver in 5 minutes?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The cretins are corporate IT. They dictate what computers are allowed to be used with their system and only support those machines.

Iphone vs. Android is like Apple vs. PC. Different philosophies. Apple is all about making things ‘just work’. Android/PC is all about customization. Apple vertically integrates everything from hardware to software with a combination that ‘just works’. Android (and Android lite) is all about working on every possible configuration of hardware and software.

Maybe that is called elitism or snobbery, maybe both.

Missus’ family asks her to bring back iPhones and Apple Watches. Previous generations are now having a second life.

Does that make villagers elitist snobs, too?

Just my opinions on two different threads.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

pootylicious wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:54 pm
schlarry wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm Non-Apple laptop or PC, install Linux (totally FREE) has Word, Excel, PPT etc clones. Free. Brilliant OS. No updating that you don't specifically request. Fuck Windows intrusive updates. Which cretin authorised that?
which distro are you using? Linux is ok if you don't have a boss... since you could end up spending most of the workday trying to get your printer or router to function . how do you explain to your employer why you needed to spend 7 hrs getting it to work in LINUX vs what you can do w windows/mac: plug it in, and maybe downloading a driver in 5 minutes?
Ubuntu. Internet / router is fine, printing no problem.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I switched years ago from Samsung to Apple, better performance and OS experience.

Not sure about the files issue, I use Google Drive as my cloud storage. Screw all this transferring files from one device to another, just log into your cloud storage on any device you’re using.

I’m on IPhone 14 plus, wife has 14 Pro Max. We may switch to the automatic annual upgrade program.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic