Beers, Tears & Broken Veneers: A Frenetic Memoir About Living in Cambodia as an Expat.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Beers, Tears & Broken Veneers: A Frenetic Memoir About Living in Cambodia as an Expat.

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Intrigue and adventure collide with hilarity and pandemonium in this insane true story about living and working in the Kingdom of Wonder as a foreigner.

Cambodia is a vibrant and exciting country; teeming with culture and an alluring social scene which makes it a popular destination for many expats. Unfortunately, what people fail to mention, are the dangers of being an alcoholic degenerate in this country—when disaster strikes, it can happen quickly and violently. Scottish author and full-time party animal, Lewis Friend, discovered this fact the hard way.

In 2012, Lewis relocated to Phnom Penh, and his eight-year residency was filled with misfortune and bedlam—fighting with fellow expats, being threatened with an axe, getting shaken down by a corrupt police officer, crashing his motorbike, being violently assaulted by locals, getting robbed countless times, having backyard surgery on an exposed bone, and, of course, breaking his prized porcelain veneers on several occasions.

Miraculously, he was able to source full-time employment as a film producer and attempted to sustain a normal existence. But inevitably, Lewis allowed his chaotic social life to interfere with his employment, which resulted in a slew of ridiculous mistakes while trying to coordinate numerous expensive productions. And then, Lewis embarked on his most diabolical venture yet—buying a hostel and bar in Phnom Penh. For one long year, Lewis dealt with a conveyor belt of carnage: drunk customers, a soiled mattress, disgruntled locals, a multitude of frugal backpackers, staffing issues, his crazy ex-girlfriend, and fighting with his beleaguered business partner. Lewis tackled these problems in the only sensible way he knew how: he increased his alcohol intake, which in turn led to even more problems and chaos.

Anybody read this? If so, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being canon and 10 being horseshit and stolen stories overheard in bars what would you rate it?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Beers, Tears & Broken Veneers: A Frenetic Memoir About Living in Cambodia as an Expat.

Post by Alex »

Never heard of him or the book, but since he pretty much owns up to having been a fuck-up before moving to Cambodia already, what's there to say? That a fuck-up is usually better off in a nanny state? Trivial stuff I'd imagine.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Beers, Tears & Broken Veneers: A Frenetic Memoir About Living in Cambodia as an Expat.

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Alex wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:52 am Never heard of him or the book, but since he pretty much owns up to having been a fuck-up before moving to Cambodia already, what's there to say? That a fuck-up is usually better off in a nanny state? Trivial stuff I'd imagine.
Never judge a (literal) book by it's cover, they say

It's a catchy title, got to give the author that much
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:12 pm
Alex wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:52 am Never heard of him or the book, but since he pretty much owns up to having been a fuck-up before moving to Cambodia already, what's there to say? That a fuck-up is usually better off in a nanny state? Trivial stuff I'd imagine.

"Canon"?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:06 pm

"Canon"?
Truth, authenticity, etc.

Might not be the right word. I was pre coffee at that hour
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:23 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:06 pm

"Canon"?
Truth, authenticity, etc.

Might not be the right word. I was pre coffee at that hour
Ahhh, as in Canon Law - aka Gospel. I thought it was some new street word, like "shit" being the new word for excellence (go figure).

Ok, I will dismount from my high horse.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Personally the summary makes me cringe. Fucked-up guy arrives in Cambodia and proceeds to just totally confirm to long-suffering locals that many foreigners are degenerate self-entitled arseholes blazing a path of self-destruction as they go and contributing zero to the lives of everyone they encounter. And then thinking that their jolly japes should be immortalised in print. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

jah steu wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:29 am Personally the summary makes me cringe. Fucked-up guy arrives in Cambodia and proceeds to just totally confirm to long-suffering locals that many foreigners are degenerate self-entitled arseholes blazing a path of self-destruction as they go and contributing zero to the lives of everyone they encounter. And then thinking that their jolly japes should be immortalised in print. No thanks.

Does that mean that a paperback about the travails of being a hostess pimp is out of the question?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:35 am
jah steu wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:29 am Personally the summary makes me cringe. Fucked-up guy arrives in Cambodia and proceeds to just totally confirm to long-suffering locals that many foreigners are degenerate self-entitled arseholes blazing a path of self-destruction as they go and contributing zero to the lives of everyone they encounter. And then thinking that their jolly japes should be immortalised in print. No thanks.

Does that mean that a paperback about the travails of being a hostess pimp is out of the question?
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Does that mean that a paperback about the travails of being a hostess pimp is out of the question?
Yes

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic