Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Extend Cross-border QR Code Payments

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Extend Cross-border QR Code Payments

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia and Thailand Extend Cross-border QR Code Payments
07/06/2023

Chea Chanto, governor of the National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) and Sethaput Suthiwartnarueput, visiting governor of the Bank of Thailand, presided over the launch event in Phnom Penh.

Serey Chea Deputy Governor at the National Bank of Cambodia said on her personal LinkedIn “In 2020 we launched Cambodia selected banks’ QR scanning QR from elected banks in Thailand. Today we launched phase 2 of our collaboration with ThaiQR scanning 1.5 million KHQR merchants in Cambodia and KHQR can scan 7.6 million merchants in Thailand, making QR payments between the two countries a lot easier emphasizing the use of local currencies for transactions.”

According to a statement from NBC, the cross-border QR code payments aim to promote the usage of local currencies and financial inclusion, facilitate cross-border trade activities, and boost tourism in both countries.

They say that since 2020, Cambodians have been able to pay for goods or services through mobile banking applications by scanning QR codes at retail merchants in Thailand. The second phase will allow Thais* to do the same in Cambodia as of June 6, 2023.

*The users of the QR code payment system will be required to have a bank account in their local currency.
https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/news/cambo ... -payments/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia and Thailand Extend Cross-border QR Code Payments

Post by Alex »

That's very interesting. I didn't know about this part:

"They say that since 2020, Cambodians have been able to pay for goods or services through mobile banking applications by scanning QR codes at retail merchants in Thailand."

Has anyone ever tried that? I guess I could just scan a Thai PromptPay QR code with my ABA Bank app and see what happens.

I use QR code payments in both Cambodia and Thailand all the time, but I've only tried it with local mobile banking apps so far.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

bet you get really shit exchange rates<
so my advice dont do it

alex try it and report back the rate
right now its
$1= 34.6 thai baht
$1= 4,108 Riel
100 thai baht= 11,872 Riel
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:29 pm bet you get really shit exchange rates<
so my advice dont do it

right now its
$1= 34.6 thai baht
$1= 4,108 Riel
Yeah I'll try it and I'm interested in the exchange rate as well. I'd expect it to be similar to the exchange rate you get when using a Thai credit or debit card in Cambodia (or vice versa). In that case, using a foreign app for QR code payments could make sense, as it's cheaper than using an ATM and safer than using a credit/debit card.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

Alex wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:23 am That's very interesting. I didn't know about this part:

"They say that since 2020, Cambodians have been able to pay for goods or services through mobile banking applications by scanning QR codes at retail merchants in Thailand."

Has anyone ever tried that? I guess I could just scan a Thai PromptPay QR code with my ABA Bank app and see what happens.

I use QR code payments in both Cambodia and Thailand all the time, but I've only tried it with local mobile banking apps so far.
This is only for banks who support this feature. As for my knowledge ABA is not one of them. Acelda was one of the first who implemented it.
https://www.acledabank.com.kh/kh/eng/info-20220929

Stage 2 that they mentioned is to integrate Thai QR payment into Bakong payment. In this case all banks who are connected to Bakong in Cambodia will be able to pay in Thailand.
From my understanding stage 2 is not completed yet.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:58 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:29 pm bet you get really shit exchange rates<
so my advice dont do it

right now its
$1= 34.6 thai baht
$1= 4,108 Riel
Yeah I'll try it and I'm interested in the exchange rate as well. I'd expect it to be similar to the exchange rate you get when using a Thai credit or debit card in Cambodia (or vice versa). In that case, using a foreign app for QR code payments could make sense, as it's cheaper than using an ATM and safer than using a credit/debit card.
yea,
Thailand charges 220 baht for atm withdraws, Cambodia $5-8/
BUT i found i get shit rates when i used my citbank atm ,
Now i just use wise to send $$ to my SCB account and get great rates as well
last week $1,000 sent from US ( took 6 seconds to hit my bank) and it was only $7.8 charge and got 34.78 rate

I've never used a card with qr code /app in my life LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I agree with you richard, never used qr-codes either and i prefere WISE also, but at the end useally cash is king, was last week in Morocco and found exchange offices with rates only 2% difference between buy and sell (useally i check that first), it means they only make about 1% on every change-transaction, about same as the guys on 136 near Phsar Thmey. When i drove of the ferry in Morocco i first looked for an ATM to get some cash for the first day, exchange rate was 2.5% down, and 2.5% ATM-costs, total 5% lost. Hallelujaaahh the good old 500-euro notes to change . . .
The big banks want to make money to pay for all the fancy buildings and the Lexusses parked outside ofcourse, of not speaking from soccer-teams they sponsor, isn it ??
And those QR-codes wont change their bussiness-plan i suppose !!
Malone
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Malone »

can you use wise to send thb to usd account in cambodian aba account?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Malone wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:13 pm can you use wise to send thb to usd account in cambodian aba account?
Not if your THB is in a Thai bank. You cannot use Wise to send money FROM Thailand.

If you have a THB balance in Wise, on the other hand, you can convert it to USD and send it to ABA. Probably not what you're looking for.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:16 pm I've never used a card with qr code /app in my life LOL
That's not how it works, there's no card involved in those QR code payments. You use an app on your mobile phone and scan a QR code at the shop to pay.

I find that very convenient in both Cambodia (KHQR and ABA Pay) and Thailand (PromptPay). If you use a Cambodian app in Cambodia (e.g. ABA Bank or Wing Bank) or a Thai app in Thailand (e.g. Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank), there's no fee and (obviously) no exchange rate add-on, you just pay the exact same amount you'd pay cash.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic