Average amount guys are paying for a girlfriend?.

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Average amount guys are paying for a girlfriend?.

Post by Kammekor »

Private Nuts wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 pm What type of monthly payment would be average in these arrangements?. Or are all these hot young ladies just happy to have an old barang boyfriend with no monetary compensation?.
Bargirls expect an allowance.
I would say on average these girls get a 300-500$ monthly allowance, plus extras. The allowance generally is considered her money (at least by her), she will send some of it to her family, and spend some on herself. Don't expect her to spend part of it within the relationship. If you expect her to pick up an occasional bill make agreements about that. If you want her to save part of the money for whatever, make agreements about that too. If you expect her to use the allowance where her phone breaks down, make agreements about that too. These girls have a different look on money than most Western men do.

Ordinary girls having a job with their own income outside the bar scene are a totally different story, but those generally are not available to 'old Barang boyfriends' and you might need to learn some Khmer language to communicate with them.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The Goat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:11 am Anybody else getting tired of these scum topics that are just meant to stir emotion and create conflict? This board has a ton of useful information besides this conjured nonsense. Who ever is responsible, stop 🛑 taking a shite here. That's why there is reddit and a host of other toilet stall walls for this.
On the upside, his spelling and punctuation are a cut above. Maybe he’s simply lacking a world experience past grade 10?
When I read the OP, I was half asleep, and nearly interpreted the question as the cost of any girlfriend, anywhere else, rather than a ‘Khmer girlfriend’ of questionable standing. Like a plea to an agony aunt in a teen magazine.*
That an unsupervised adult is able to compose and post the question in the first place might be disturbing. Maybe it wasn’t written with a straight face?
It’s reminiscent of a poster a short while back, whose question nearly suggested that he was from a conservative Middle Eastern background, and that he was now of an age and in a position to escape on holiday, and give the camels a well earned breather.

*I'm assuming teen magazines have agony aunts, while having bizarre images of Eddy Izzard thrashing away at a keyboard.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

This topic is raised on every se asian forum at least once/year, (usually buy a new comer and than the older posters chime in) an the replies are always the same

"i never pay but"
"$250-10,000/month"
"I pay for the big stuff and send her out with $xxx for shopping" etc etc
and this response as well
"would you pay a western gf/wife? "

Anyone that has spent a few years in SE Asia knows money is the driving force in relationships ( no reason to be Cambodia specific)

New kid ( unusually ) is spot on, women in Cambodia control the finances
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:39 pm Not Khmer girlfriends, but Khmer wives in the west get ‘allowances’ from their a Khmer husbands of 5-10K a month, so missus tells me. Otherwise, they get a job to make the 10K a month tor themselves on personal spending.
It's fantastic to hear how easy it is for people in the west to get $120,000 a year spending money. Sounds like paradise. :facepalm:
When their Khmer husbands don’t provide enough, they go out and start a donut shop. When their Khmer husbands give too much, it means the husband have girls on the side.

It’s not at all easy. They just make it sound and look easy when they return to Cambodia all rich looking.

Missus is back in the village now. All the villagers are wondering if she is starving in the west. She came back wearing regular clothes without a pile of expensive jewelry and bling.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:00 am …and bling.
This is an aspect that I don’t understand ( or don’t want to), about asia in general. The added bling, often tasteless.

A family friend back in my days in Dhaka received a new ‘company’ car. Brand new Toyota Corolla, or something. Out came an electric drill, and various holes in strategic places were made, and a bunch of flashing lights and other ridiculous bling, applied to bonnet and roof, and doors.

More recently, in the province, one of the younger cousins, about 10years old, was attacked and robbed near the school, for her bling earrings and necklace. No great loss, as they were only a few thousand Riels from the local market.

Ostentatious displays, that probably fool no one, except a few drunk teens looking to score a big win.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

It is a great subject because you have a vast pool of expats who have experienced different levels of cost.
My ex needed $100us/ month to pay a loan when her dad died. I obliged..She wanted .999 gold to wear in Kampong Cham.. she would give it back to me when we went back to my place I let her keep it. Things changed for the worse over years after meeting Khmer neighbors and landlords whose husband's had a lot of dough...I asked her why she needed 5 black purses...
No matter how much I gave it was not enough.
I have watched friends give so much they ended up with their stuff out on the curb/kerb while she was driving a Lexus and the house and business were in her name. A starving Lady will take less..you have a window of great times... until they get too greedy and you too hypnotized.
How about you ladies? What do you pay men to stay with you? What is the going rate for a handsome fella to be your chaperone? I must say I grew up in an affluent neighborhood and the girls in my area all had daddy to spoil them and I knew they were the biggest whores on Earth...house, car, giant diamond ring, trips, clothes...no thanks...
I am waiting for a female to work and split costs..buy me something...have a family NOT in need.
Not lie. I just put on Vannda and 4T5 and wait..
Great subject...
I had an old troublemaker show up yesterday and she was so broke she cooked and cleaned (my jobs) and made me some roses out of material...
Geronimo...once more I dive into the pit.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The Goat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:11 am Anybody else getting tired of these scum topics that are just meant to stir emotion and create conflict? This board has a ton of useful information besides this conjured nonsense. Who ever is responsible, stop 🛑 taking a shite here. That's why there is reddit and a host of other toilet stall walls for this.
Instead of getting all excited, you could just skip those scum topics and start your own high quality topics. Or read them just for your amusement instead of taking them seriously.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm obviously a freak of nature, since I was the one who supported my ex boyfriend for all the years we were together in Cambodia.

He started off being a great support person while I worked 14 plus hours a day to keep him in the lifestyle he felt he deserved, but that changed as time went on.
I paid for everything - his rent, groceries, spending money etc etc and I wasn't allowed to EVER mentioned the fact that I was the bread winner, since this would make him feel less of a man.

He spent my money like he didn't have to work for it because....that's right, he didn't!

I am very happy with my cats, the 7 of us will be single forever :)

EVERY relationship costs something - whether it's money, time or a piece of your soul. NONE of us come out the other end unscathed.
Just make sure that you can afford to lose what it's costing you, because you'll never get it back.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I find that $5000 per month is usually enough, although some months there will be extras such as her brothers gambling debts, the family's sick buffalo needing medicine, Yay's hospital bills, nephews and nieces school fees, etc. and then whenever there's big holidays such as Khmer New Year, etc an extra $2000 or 3000 to go back to the province and buy gifts for all the family, oh, and of course the $50,000 I paid for our house for her family to live in, so we will need to build an extension or another house for us to live in
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Seems these girlfriend payments should be written into a contract that would cover all obligations for both parties.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic