Help needed Please keep an eye out (Italian girl missing on Koh Rong/Sihanoukville)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Help needed Please keep an eye out (Italian girl missing on Koh Rong/Sihanoukville)

Post by Alex »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:38 am Reports on Facebook that she has been found safe and well at a hostel in Otres
That's great news. The way they described her state, she was quite vulnerable. So whether she wanted to be found or not, it's probably for the best.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Help needed Please keep an eye out (Italian girl missing on Koh Rong/Sihanoukville)

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Total shitshow of well meaning idiots

One group broadcasting for days, up to today, that she was last seen on Koh Rong

Another broadcasting that she was probably on the way to Kampot /Kep

Meanwhile she was probably enjoying some chill time free from the family drama sans telephone on Otres
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

This isn't the first time something like this has unfolded on Otres.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Did she know she was missing?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:18 am Did she know she was missing?

She didn't think it a big deal according to posts on FB

Probably the fact that she's an adult and can do as she pleases had something to do with it

I tell you what though, if I took off somewhere for a few days and found that I'd been gaslit to an entire nation, I'd be well pissed off...
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Apologies for being pedantic however that is common with me - ‘gaslit’?
What happened doesn’t match with my understanding of the term. How was she gaslit? Maybe it is more obvious if you have read posts from her?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

violet wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:52 pm Apologies for being pedantic however that is common with me - ‘gaslit’?
What happened doesn’t match with my understanding of the term. How was she gaslit? Maybe it is more obvious if you have read posts from her?
Italian search & rescue, British private detectives and social media all going apeshit saying she is having some kind of psychotic episode and has to be tracked down.
Kind of extreme for an adult traveler that's "missing" for a couple of days, ie didn't call mom.

:dragonchase:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

She is fu**ing 26 years old, who cares. Pre-facebook nobody cared if i was 26 and not been seen for a month . . .
Red flags would appear if the beer-sell was severly dropping in town . . .
Wake up mum, she has own live, even if she doesnt want to eat the Miracoli Spaghetti at mamas table every sunday-afternoon . . .
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is so screwed. As someone here said, there are a lot of well-meaning people who have been passing on the message in an attempt to help. A couple of detective agencies were employed to trace the missing woman - that indicated that the family were seriously worried - it's a big step up from posting on fbook, "Has anyone seen my little girl ?" Also, the missing person notice stated that the person concerned was having a medical emergency, and very specifically that she was in psychological distress and needed urgent help.

Personally, when people post online about lost "kids" who are over the age of 18, my first thought is that they don't want to be found and we should let them be. But when there is a post online about someone with known problems or a possible medical emergency, then I do feel some concern and would be more likely to pass on the missing person message. And, since she went missing in Sihanoukville, well, strange and dark things do happen there. So, I did feel some concern for the people involved when I read the messages.

BUT, these messages were apparently over the top, exaggerated, crying for help too loud and too soon - so next time someone "goes missing" we will all yawn and go back to our beer.
And if I was that missing person, I would tell my well-meaning family to sod off and leave me alone. I hope she is well.
CrestHawk
Tourist
Armenia

Post by CrestHawk »

Crest Hawk Investigations does all of its missing persons cases pro bono, so you can be sure that we don’t just throw our resources at backpackers who forgot to call their mum.
We found her this morning in Otres and we taking a slow approach along with her mother until the hotel owner called Sihanoukville’s finest who arrived and started taking selfies with her.
She is now safe and back under our supervision until we figure out how to get her back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic