Workers Get Three Days Off for July Elections

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Workers Get Three Days Off for July Elections

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:15 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:51 pm
Do they have to return to their home village to vote or can they vote in their local area?
Voting is conducted in your registered Sangkat, most Cambodians never bother to deregister from the Sangkat where they were registered when born when they move elsewhere. However, they can register on the electoral roll of the Sangkat where they currently reside to avoid having to travel to vote, which many don't bother to do.
Do they publish voter turnout numbers? I am thinking about mass voter apathy.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:46 pm Saturday to travel home to collect money from village head man for Sundays vote and Monday to get back to work and also spend it
Do they have to return to their home village to vote or can they vote in their local area?
You vote in the sangkat you are registered in unless you get on the roll of the on you currently live in, which is disencouraged at least in the Sangkat I live in.

If you family book says village A but you've moved but still have the old book you can only vote in village A by default.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:19 am
Voting is conducted in your registered Sangkat, most Cambodians never bother to deregister from the Sangkat where they were registered when born when they move elsewhere. However, they can register on the electoral roll of the Sangkat where they currently reside to avoid having to travel to vote, which many don't bother to do.
Ams miss out on 10-20k riels?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:19 am
I worked on an election before. There were a lot of spoiled ballots where every box was ticked. I think it was in protest rather than ignorance.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic