Exporting a bike

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Exporting a bike

Post by David Gordon »

Anyone ever tried exporting a Honda Dream abroad? I wonder about taking one home as accompanied baggage. And how difficult would it be to take it home from airport - still
In the crate.
Stay classy na
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Exporting a bike

Post by Element6 »

Depending on the country you are traveling to then emmissions compliance can be a big road block. It would need to be compliant with local regulations and you would need to bee able to prove the same
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI A honda dream is WAY overpriced compared to Thailand
A NEW honda wave 125 i is around 58,000 baht ($1,700) in Thailand
Cambodia a new 125 dream was ( 6 months ago) $2,250
PLUS Thailand gives you a book showing ownership
Cambodia only a card
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Unless it is absolutely ex-factory and intended for export it will come under the Dangerous Goods regulations so that's your first problem, can't go as baggage. There is an individual piece weight limit on baggage and this is way over. Finally, depends on the plane. For example, if you are on Singapore Airlines or Malaysia Airlines then the max height is about 83 cm from Phnom Penh.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I sent my Triumph from the states to Malaysia way back in 99
it was like $600 than which included boxing it up and only had to disconnect the battery
There plenty of people shipping bikes to and fro on the fb group overland SE asia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/827938054304193

I am sure a dream is cheaper just about anywhere else than Cambodia :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

David Gordon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:16 pm Anyone ever tried exporting a Honda Dream abroad? I wonder about taking one home as accompanied baggage. And how difficult would it be to take it home from airport - still
In the crate.
I understand the convenience of accompanied baggage, but I don't think it's possible. It exceeds all kinds of restrictions airlines puts on baggage.

Not even talking about the price in case it the airlines made it possible. Saw Air Asia charging 18 USD per KG from PNH to BKK once for overweight luggage once..... of course, per-ordered extra weight will be cheaper but way, way more than shipping it as cargo.

Finally, customs at airports are very difficult to deal with if you want to legally import anything.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:22 am
David Gordon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:16 pm Anyone ever tried exporting a Honda Dream abroad? I wonder about taking one home as accompanied baggage. And how difficult would it be to take it home from airport - still
In the crate.
I understand the convenience of accompanied baggage, but I don't think it's possible. It exceeds all kinds of restrictions airlines puts on baggage.

Not even talking about the price in case it the airlines made it possible. Saw Air Asia charging 18 USD per KG from PNH to BKK once for overweight luggage once..... of course, per-ordered extra weight will be cheaper but way, way more than shipping it as cargo.

Finally, customs at airports are very difficult to deal with if you want to legally import anything.
travelled with my 22 kilo bike box (14 kilo bicycle and 10 kilos of stuff) PP- Phuket for $44 in Nov
have seen many are flying their motorcycles from Nepal to Malaysia as didn't want travel thru India and as long as you have a carnet no import tax
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:46 am

travelled with my 22 kilo bike box (14 kilo bicycle and 10 kilos of stuff) PP- Phuket for $44 in Nov
have seen many are flying their motorcycles from Nepal to Malaysia as didn't want travel thru India and as long as you have a carnet no import tax
A Honda Dream weighs close to 100 kilo.

And a 'carnet' is worth just as much a toilet paper outside of Asia I am afraid.

I fly from Bangkok to Amsterdam in August, just over 10k km, and the airline charges € 153 for extra one suitcase of 23 kg. Just for comparison's sake.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:25 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:46 am

A Honda Dream weighs close to 100 kilo.

And a 'carnet' is worth just as much a toilet paper outside of Asia I am afraid.

I fly from Bangkok to Amsterdam in August, just over 10k km, and the airline charges € 153 for extra one suitcase of 23 kg. Just for comparison's sake.
".....Saw Air Asia charging 18 USD per KG from PNH to BKK"
why i posted i paid $44 for 24 kilos PHN- HKT

FYI:
Reading the overlanders fb threads seems carnets are required once one leaves Europe an heads thru the stans and into Asia and se asia<
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic